Hypothetical poll: Flynn vs TJack

If we'd never drafted RW, which QB would have given us the best chance to win?

• Matt Flynn

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Tarvaris Jackson

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
"cant' throw deep", "has no mobility". Those are all myths propagated by Wilson supporters. In fact, Flynn doesn't have a great deep ball, but it's adequate enough for a secondary to respect it. And he is more mobile than most QB's, just not as mobile as TJack or Wilson. But whereas TJack would stand there holding onto the ball, Flynn gets rid of it quickly, though he's a Favre type gambler and he would probably throw more picks.

Rat

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":wh5mxkv6 said:
"cant' throw deep", "has no mobility". Those are all myths propagated by Wilson supporters. In fact, Flynn doesn't have a great deep ball, but it's adequate enough for a secondary to respect it. And he is more mobile than most QB's, just not as mobile as TJack or Wilson. But whereas TJack would stand there holding onto the ball, Flynn gets rid of it quickly, though he's a Favre type gambler and he would probably throw more picks.
Agreed until the part I underlined. I don't know where you would have gotten that idea.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2fhd9864 said:
And he is more mobile than most QB's, just not as mobile as TJack or Wilson. But whereas TJack would stand there holding onto the ball, Flynn gets rid of it quickly, though he's a Favre type gambler and he would probably throw more picks.

But this is exactly why I don't want him. A big part of the reason Seattle has been "in" every game so far is that Wilson has kept the lid on the turnovers (three of his picks came in one game). I don't think we'd have that advantage with Flynn, and I think it'd be the difference.

Rat

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1u4b20g7 said:
SalishHawkFan":1u4b20g7 said:
And he is more mobile than most QB's, just not as mobile as TJack or Wilson. But whereas TJack would stand there holding onto the ball, Flynn gets rid of it quickly, though he's a Favre type gambler and he would probably throw more picks.

But this is exactly why I don't want him. A big part of the reason Seattle has been "in" every game so far is that Wilson has kept the lid on the turnovers (three of his picks came in one game). I don't think we'd have that advantage with Flynn, and I think it'd be the difference.
Is that based off the one INT Flynn threw last year (49 attempts)? It's two if we count the one he had in the Denver game that bounced off the hands of one of his wideouts. I assume we don't count that, since we don't count it when that happens to Russell.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Nobody here honestly has any idea how Flynn would do starting in this offense and it appears that Coach believes that RW gives us a better chance to win not only now but also going forward into the future. Until HE changes his mind about that none of this conjecture even matters, not even in the tiniest little bit.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":m48t0w90 said:
Nobody here honestly has any idea how Flynn would do starting in this offense and it appears that Coach believes that RW gives us a better chance to win not only now but also going forward into the future. Until HE changes his mind about that none of this conjecture even matters, not even in the tiniest little bit.

don't you know? the very vocal minority fan knows more than Pete Carroll ever could.

:sarcasm_off:

hoxrox

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":ebnp4s6e said:
In fact, Flynn doesn't have a great deep ball, but it's adequate enough for a secondary to respect it.

How do we know he doesn't have a great deep ball? Because of fan "perception" that he has a weak arm?

I thought that 50 yard bomb TO dropped was right on the money. It's too bad Flynn had to force feed all those passes to TO that game. He has shown he was able to make all the throws accurately - short range, intermediate and deep, with the ability to throw receivers open and in stride.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Why is there a poll about TJack? Good riddance. He's gone. Thankfully. A chair is more productive on a football field than TJack.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Don't we run a version of the WCO? It is predicated on timing routes that develop quickly and require a QB to be able to throw receivers open and probably most important be able to read defenses and audible when needed. Tjack could not read a defense, throw receivers open and most of all, process the game fast enough to take advantage of timing routes.

Those timing routes that utilize a three step drop make your o-line look much better as well as the receivers. It also slows the opponents defense due to repeatedly getting burnt by guys getting behind them and maximizing YAC.

If your not sure if Flynn can do these things just go watch the GB vs Detroit game and remember he did that without their best receiver or RB.

This is a no brainer. Flynn by a landslide.

Terpdragon

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3pau9sf9 said:
Don't we run a version of the WCO? It is predicated on timing routes that develop quickly and require a QB to be able to throw receivers open and probably most important be able to read defenses and audible when needed. Tjack could not read a defense, throw receivers open and most of all, process the game fast enough to take advantage of timing routes.

Those timing routes that utilize a three step drop make your o-line look much better as well as the receivers. It also slows the opponents defense due to repeatedly getting burnt by guys getting behind them and maximizing YAC.

If your not sure if Flynn can do these things just go watch the GB vs Detroit game and remember he did that without their best receiver or RB.

This is a no brainer. Flynn by a landslide.
What he said. This is the reason I wish they would have started Flynn over Wilson. It also would have given Wilson more time to learn how to read defenses & the speed of the pro game