Huskies CFP chances?

D

DomeHawk

Well, first you gotta win the Pac. This is probably the best Husky team since the '91 Natl Champions. Problem is, this is probably the best Pac since that time also with eight teams in the top-25.

Given that anything more one loss just about eliminates you, it's a tough road to travel. One loss eliminates you the reality is you probably gotta go undefeated.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think a one loss UW team gets into the playoffs. I need to see more of this domination against conference opponents before I get excited, but boy they absolutely laid a whooping on MSU in all three phases of the game.

A lot of analysts are saying Washington is top 5, with some of them saying top 3 right now.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

I think a one loss UW team gets into the playoffs. I need to see more of this domination against conference opponents before I get excited, but boy they absolutely laid a whooping on MSU in all three phases of the game.

A lot of analysts are saying Washington is top 5, with some of them saying top 3 right now.
I think the only way they get to the CFP with one loss is their ability to stay in the top 5. That means if they lose they're going to have to do it early.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
They will have to win out IMO. There is too much competition. Even inside the pac-12 this year. They need to keep winning and winning convincingly if they want a shot. Its either that or a bunch of teams starting have downs years. It kind of looks like a down year for the SEC. (By SEC standards at least) So maybe there's a chance.

The Huskies pass game is truly fun to watch.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
A lot of people said one loss would prevent them from getting in back in 2016. Lots of games to be played.

NoGain

Reaction score
A one loss Husky team to either USC or Utah and I think they're in (provided the loss isn't in the conference title game). The Pac 12 had 8 teams in the top 25 last week, and now have 4 teams in the top 10. They're the greatest show on turf now in the college football.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

A one loss Husky team to either USC or Utah and I think they're in (provided the loss isn't in the conference title game). The Pac 12 had 8 teams in the top 25 last week, and now have 4 teams in the top 10. They're the greatest show on turf now in the college football.
Yeah, as I was saying, you might be able to get in with one loss but only if the loss is not late. It's a really tough schedule but the leadup to Oregon looks good. You play Arizona a game you should win, then, a bye week. That's good, get everyone healed up. If you can get by them, then, it's Ariz. St., Stanford, then, a very tough run to finish the season: USC - Utah - Oregon St. - WSU, ALL op 25 teams.

It's gonna come down to staying healthy, staying focused, and some luck thrown in. Such a great team to watch!

Last edited by a moderator:

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
The SEC seems pretty weak this year, enough so that ESPN can't even prop them up without looking ridiculous.

Still, two losses will probably eliminate UW. I don't know how they'll fare against the good teams since they haven't really played any.

bileever

Reaction score
All I can say is thank god for Kalen DeBoer. He is the real deal. Fun to watch Huskies football again. That's all I ask for. Playoffs are a bonus.

On a related front, hard to believe Jimmy Lake has resurfaced as the assistant head coach of the LA Rams.

QWERTY

Reaction score
They have a big test coming up this Saturday.

NoGain

Reaction score
All I can say is thank god for Kalen DeBoer. He is the real deal. Fun to watch Huskies football again. That's all I ask for. Playoffs are a bonus.

On a related front, hard to believe Jimmy Lake has resurfaced as the assistant head coach of the LA Rams.
Really. Turning out to be a great hire.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Jimmy Lake was an excellent assistant coach for the Huskies. When he coached the DB's we put more DB's in the NFL than any other team in the country.

bileever

Reaction score
Jimmy Lake was an excellent assistant coach for the Huskies. When he coached the DB's we put more DB's in the NFL than any other team in the country.
Clearly, the guy is talented. He was in high demand when he got the UW head coaching job. But after what happened here, I thought he might be considered toxic. There's also a fine line between charlatan and genius with football coaches.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Clearly, the guy is talented. He was in high demand when he got the UW head coaching job. But after what happened here, I thought he might be considered toxic. There's also a fine line between charlatan and genius with football coaches.
He was just in over his head. It happened too fast for him. When he was made head coach at UW half the schools in the country wanted him.

NoGain

Reaction score
After watching a hapless Colorado team a year ago put up 41 points on USC today, I have little concern that USC will be able to slow down our offense. If UW's D shows up against USC, I'd favor us in that game, even played on the road.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Right now Washington should be at least 4th in the AP poll, in front of Florida State. Better resume than FSU so far. We will see what happens, but I'm not going to stress over it this early in the season.

UW going on the road to beat Arizona is looking better every week. They destroyed the Cougs, who were looking pretty good.

An undefeated or 1 loss Pac 12 champion gets in,