How will you react if SEA skips RBs in the draft...

chris98251

Reaction score
With the success of Carson I think we wait till the late part of the draft and find a player that fits a look and skill set that's not on the National radar want list, it's how we do things with WR and RB for the most part Prosise being an exception and because of his limited contribution and the high salary of a back and our lack of getting full seasons from them we shy away from a high pick.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

We turn #18 into about 3 picks by trading down. Say just for kicks 31 overall a second and additional third. Thats assuming probably 2 trade downs which we all know is going to happen.

In that scenario. I would be absolutely giddy if we got Sony Michel from Georgia!!!!

original poster

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3u6er9b6 said:
I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

We turn #18 into about 3 picks by trading down. Say just for kicks 31 overall a second and additional third. Thats assuming probably 2 trade downs which we all know is going to happen.

In that scenario. I would be absolutely giddy if we got Sony Michel from Georgia!!!!

I liked Sony Michel lots too until I saw his fumble rate :shock:

12forlife

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1xwwqkzw said:

I'm not totally against a Carson / Michel duo, but his fumble issues worry me, from vids it looks like he has small hands.
I agree with you on your trade downs. I hope with how stacked this draft is at RB a Carson / Penny or Freeman could be a sweet combo.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
original poster":3mlerw39 said:
gowazzu02":3mlerw39 said:

I haven't seen the fumble rate that you mention. I wonder if it's higher in part cause he was in such a time share with not only Chubb but the frosh whos name I think is Swift? Meaning one fluke fumble could really sku the ratio?

original poster

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1ajwxjr5 said:
original poster":1ajwxjr5 said:
gowazzu02":1ajwxjr5 said:

I haven't seen the fumble rate that you mention. I wonder if it's higher in part cause he was in such a time share with not only Chubb but the frosh whos name I think is Swift? Meaning one fluke fumble could really sku the ratio?

They both averaged 54:1 on carries per fumble, scarily high! To give you an idea Ronald Jones II is over 200:1.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Tical21":1r28mako said:
I see a 0% chance we don't draft one by the end of round 4. Commitent to the running game includes the RB position. Our leading rusher had like 250 yards, and some of you want to stand pat? A rookie lineman is almost no help. We have enough young linemen. I'd love to sign an upgrade FA.

I'm out on Ronald Jones. Just too small and not fast enough. I think we end up someone in the 3rd. Johnson, Penny or Bellage, even though I don't love Penny.
I can see the argument re: his size, but lack of speed? No. He ran a 10.37 100m when he was still in HS.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Prosise is going to surprise people next year and get utilized a ton in the new offense. I don't fault anyone for not believing as he hasn't given anyone reason for optimism but he's going to play a big role. If they draft someone I expect its someone later in the draft.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ronald Jones isn't slow. I don't know that he's a true burner, but I suspect he'd run between 4.41 and 4.43. Dude lights up the screen because he's all torque. Hits that top end in no time. He weighed in at 205 so he's a little lean, but regardless, he's probably going in the early 2nd round and would have to be off our board. I like him, but not quite that much for a part time back that would likely struggle carrying the load if Carson went down. My goal would be having two backs that you can count on to be able to take 20-25 touches a game for at least half of a season.

To the Prosise comment, I wouldn't be surprised if he was all of the sudden healthy for his contract year. Prosise doesn't have the 0-60 that Jones has, but Prosise does have a pretty elite second gear when he gets into that sprinter stride even though he only ran a 4.48. Prosise's 10 yard split was pretty average, if I remember right. IF he does stay healthy, I still don't take him off the field for Carson. Carson is a good receiver and, not to be understated, a ridiculous pass blocker. Any RW junkie should appreciate that. I'd actually like to get him some reps in the slot and maybe add some jet sweeps back into things with him, BUT he has to stay healthy and that's a big gamble.

Speaking of which, we need to add a RB. I really had my eye on John Kelly in later rounds, but he had an MJ arrest and that could be bad in WA. Depending on how many times we trade back or get picks for trades, if just might have to be Penny in the 3rd. Maybe Ballage too, I don't know. Depends on who goes where and when that RB feeding frenzy happens....because it will. They'll start flying off the board and everyone's board with change as the rooms start to dubya T eff and adjust.

original poster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ci3iokq said:
Derrius Guice would fit in very well with this team.

If any running back screams 'going to get injured in the NFL' it's Guice IMO.

He is very similar to Rawls in his running style, making contract for the sake of making contact which is great in some respects, but to do it over the course of a 16 game season is asking for trouble.

I'd not be upset if Seattle drafted him, but I definitely don't think they will.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, they'll trade down. I'd be shocked if they pick at 18. With all these QB's going in the 1st round (possibly) that could really make that pick at 18 worth trading up to get for teams looking for other positions. They could really help themselves by grabbing a 2 and 3 maybe by trading down.

original poster

Reaction score
I think we may be a bit disappointed with the value we get from the inevitable trade back to be honest.

Although it only takes one player to fall and one team to make a phone call, but as it stands, I'm tempering my expectations!

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":3moccu4y said:
I think we may be a bit disappointed with the value we get from the inevitable trade back to be honest.

Although it only takes one player to fall and one team to make a phone call, but as it stands, I'm tempering my expectations!

Maybe.....but maybe not. Rob Rang was saying there are a couple good QB's that could fall to 18. If that happens and the right team is interested, then it could work out well.

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":1ni8zdg8 said:
original poster":1ni8zdg8 said:

Maybe.....but maybe not. Rob Rang was saying there are a couple good QB's that could fall to 18. If that happens and the right team is interested, then it could work out well.

For sure, not saying it won't happen, but I'd be more inclined to believe we will get bad value in the trade rather than fair to good value.

Not a knock on JS, either. Simply a case of what's being offered to them.

I wouldn't be shocked at a trade back into the very late first for just a third rounder.

Seymour

Reaction score
3rd round is about right. Moving back 10 spots in first round (18 to 28) is net gain of 240 points which is a high 3rd round pick.

More than likely it will be a team that picked before us though. IMO which could mean more like a high 2nd, high 3rd and a later round pick.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Please don't click on the Asian women link....stay on topic. 8) :p

original poster

Reaction score
If we can trade back once from 18 to mid 20's to net a third, then that late pick into the early 2nd for another third I'd be happy. Then package a couple of picks to move up in the third again using some later picks I'd be happy.

One second and three thirds would be great.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
There is a good chance Carlos Hyde will be waiting for them in a week. He's unlikely to re-sign with the 49ers, and when healthy he is a quality power back. Seattle is the ideal landing spot for him, I think.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Offensive line trumps EVERYTHING as far as I’m concerned. We get dominated repeatedly by the Rams and the Cardinals four times a year, and it has to stop. We have a franchise quarterback in his physical prime, and we need to start protecting him.

A great line covers a lot of warts (Cowboys), and it can make a running back look much better.

So, I wouldn’t be too upset if we skipped RB in the draft. It’s a deep class, and we have much bigger fish to fry.