How can people say the Hawks didn't address their needs?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We definitely addressed some of our needs, but it's not unfounded criticism to say we didn't really address our biggest glaring need, D-line.

Specifically interior D-line.

IN the draft, we did address it in free agency with the signings of Jones and Reed, and we can assume a couple more vet minimum deals maybe bringing Poona back? Idk.

But no, we didn't address our biggest need in the draft........and that's OK. As I told my buddy was was complaining about not drafting Wilson or Carter. We got the #1 CB and #1 WR in the ENTIRE draft, I'd much rather do that than a questionable risky DT pick, or the 3rd or 4th best D-lineman.......just because we're drafting for need.

That's not what good organizations do, that's what bad ones do. We got two absolute studs in the 1st round, and hopefully some quality in later rounds.

Chawker

Reaction score
You do realize that run defenders can be had in the 4th and 5th rounds, routinely? Big run stuffing d lineman arent generally drafted highly because of the one dimensional skill set.

What did you give last year's draft?
I was rather pleased with last years draft, i think i gave them a B grade.

Donn2390

Reaction score
They ignored primary needs other than WR the first round, got a CB they didn't need and honestly isnt the best at the position (Christian Gonzalez was better) passed up on a generational talent at DT, didn't address the LB situation at all, severely reached on a RB in the 2nd round (Even though I like the McIntosh pick much better) and could have had Trenton Simpson who's gonna be dynamite for Baltimore.

D- for this incredibly underwhelming draft
OK, the draft sucked... so you don't get to watch this year..! The "Fans" are thrilled and happy however.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm just ecstatic that the front office is once again drafting with a brain, no longer drafting like they did in 2021 and prior years; last year and this year and I'd bet money 2024 as well = champion building drafts.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That's a hell of a TE room.
Yes it is. Dissly has been good for a while, seems to have learned how to stay healthy, and Parkinson has had many terrific moments. Gotta be the hair. Fant is the speediest, but it just doesn't seem like he makes as many plays as he could, doesn't get the 2nd foot in, etc. I've seen Dissly and Parkinson make some great blocks; IIRC Parkinson had a key block that sprung K9 on one of his long TD runs. I don't have much data on Fant to know how he stacks up as a blocker. Anyone, how's Fant as a blocker?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I would say their most glaring needs were IDL and ILB going into the draft.

After the draft I think that is still true. However, they still came away with likely 5 players that will get 3-500 snaps a piece out of this draft if they all stay healthy. LCB, WR3, EDGE, RB2, IDL were all needs going into the draft. Witherspoon and JSN will likely get a full season of starter snaps.

In the best case we also get OG1 and C1 and McIntosh carves out the Travis Homer role.

This was a pretty "eh" class overall, but felt extra weak in the front 7. I'm glad we didn't push players based on need. This is the type of draft that could really bite you if you don't just take BPA.
Going into day three I wasn't happy with the fact that the IOL and DI positions hadn't been addressed. However, I think the 4 players taken in the fourth and fifth rounds are more than enough to address the Hawks' DL and OL issues. They didn't draft a LB, but I'm thinking we'll be seeing more 3 safety looks with Adams in the box along with either Bobby or Bush.