Hot names for the new OC

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lynn is off the table. Reportedly wants to work with Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn, which is why he chose Detroit.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1353112001002807296[/tweet]

DHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":3dvgb21j said:
The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

It s too bad there's no one to hold Pete accountable. If Russ is still here in Sepember, he won't be in 2022.

Yup, they likely understand that Pete just wants a "yes man" kind of OC. Not surprising. After hearing that Pete interfered with play calls and caused some of those low play clock situations, I was sorta hoping we would be looking for a new head coach to be honest.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":3g45y79u said:
The hawks have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and nobody wants this offensive coordinator job. That says everything. There gonna hire some 2nd string janitor to be Pete's lackey.

It s too bad there's no one to hold Pete accountable. If Russ is still here in Sepember, he won't be in 2022.

What evidence is there that nobody wants the position?

Seems like the Seahawks are just being diligent in their search imo

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2fysi2lh said:
nanomoz":2fysi2lh said:

It’s not like the supermodel doesn’t want to date me. It’s just me being extra careful that she’s a good match. :roll:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Mistashoesta":3fv97wdg said:
@ the 2:40 mark

We do change a lot, I’m well above average in the nfl... our game plan from week to week

A coordinator who actually adjusts his game plan depending on the team being faced? SOLD!!!!!

[youtube]Qr9L2kMiXBQ[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/Qr9L2kMiXBQ

That was kind of a fun interview. Probably the most personalized bit I've seen of him. Seems like football coach material, for sure. I bet he'd fit with our guys on O pretty easily.

chris98251

Reaction score
One thing about Pete and John, they seem to wait, wait, wait, wait, they interview a lot, but wait. In that time guys get hired and they fall back to option B,C,D, etc.

You always here they got their guy of course, first rule of coach speak don't talk about the ones that got away.

This is going to a long process.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
DHawk":ebypo1d9 said:
nanomoz":ebypo1d9 said:

Yup, they likely understand that Pete just wants a "yes man" kind of OC. Not surprising. After hearing that Pete interfered with play calls and caused some of those low play clock situations, I was sorta hoping we would be looking for a new head coach to be honest.

Sorry, but nah. The reality is that most coordinators aren't just left alone to do whatever they want. They work within parameters set by the HC. Hell, a good amount don't even call the plays. If coordinators were realistically expected to be in full control of their unit, there'd be literally zero reason to have a head coach.

The "yes man" narrative is tired. If they just wanted a "yes man," then we'd already have an internal promotion instead of a super-wide net cast over the pool of candidates. Furthermore, reports have stated they'd prefer an outside candidate. Not to mention Pete openly speaking about how he wants the opposite of a yes man, instead saying he wants someone who'll have enough balls to specifically tell him when he's wrong.

Nothing about this process has pointed to "yes man."

keasley45

Reaction score
nanomoz":m9dw8jve said:

If we are going to be objective and unbiased, if this is a case of potential coordinators not liking the hawks job, it could be that the idea of employing a 'run heavy' approach led by PC isn't appealing. Or, that scripting an offense to suit a 'unique ' qb, isn't a draw. By now, both PC and RW are known commodities. The last two OCs to come through here were let go.. The word is out on both, and we can only speculate as to what the true story is.

sc85sis

Reaction score
This idea that Pete wants a “yes man” because he overruled some calls this year is horribly overstated. Head coaches overrule calls when they aren’t happy. It’s within their purview to do so. He wasn’t pleased that the run game stalled and that offensive turnovers were way up. That’s never going to be acceptable with his overall philosophy, and he’s been clear about that. You can pass the ball all over the place in whatever way you want, but “it’s all about the ball” and there has to be an effective run game too.

USC’s teams ran a form of west coast offense complimented with the deep ball and balanced with the run game. When Russ arrived in Seattle, Pete looked at Russ’s ability to run, saw what RG3 was doing, and had Bevell add run option plays (see https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -redskins/). Seattle uses shot gun and pistol. They NEVER used shotgun the entire time Pete was at USC.

This idea that he can never adapt is BS. Philosophy doesn’t change. How you work within that philosophy absolutely can.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
sc85sis":1l1j1tct said:
This idea that Pete wants a “yes man” because he overruled some calls this year is horribly overstated. Head coaches overrule calls when they aren’t happy. It’s within their purview to do so. He wasn’t pleased that the run game stalled and that offensive turnovers were way up. That’s never going to be acceptable with his overall philosophy, and he’s been clear about that. You can pass the ball all over the place in whatever way you want, but “it’s all about the ball” and there has to be an effective run game too.

USC’s teams ran a form of west coast offense complimented with the deep ball and balanced with the run game. When Russ arrived in Seattle, Pete looked at Russ’s ability to run, saw what RG3 was doing, and had Bevell add run option plays (see https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -redskins/). Seattle uses shot gun and pistol. They NEVER used shotgun the entire time Pete was at USC.

This idea that he can never adapt is BS. Philosophy doesn’t change. How you work within that philosophy absolutely can.
100%

Great post... And we have no idea why it's taking a bit longer to make the hire. Odds are, they're doing their due diligence. Russ is (hopefully) involved with the search, and they're looking at any and all options.

Last night I read that they may be talking with Joe Lombardi from the Saints. He's from Seattle and has a history of working with Russ's hero. Bright mind and comes from a dynamic and interesting offensive scheme.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/22/22 ... ns-falcons

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle wants to interview Buffalo's QB Coach.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1353367284841025539[/tweet]

James in PA

Reaction score
Dorsey from the Bills, Lombardi from the Saints, and Waldron from the Rams: Now these are some candidates I could get excited about. Waldron would be really interesting. He’s been with McVay the last 4 years. Maybe he could help us get over the hump with those bastards once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
massari":38j4o77x said:
Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

There is definitely some skepticism in the coaching ranks as to how attractive this job is, even with a talent the likes of Russell Wilson to work with (and those receivers).
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... l-oc-more/
I said previously it will not be easy to land an OC with Seattle.

Especially knowing Carroll likes vanilla scheme now.

Coordinators hoping to be head coaches would have a rather hard time showcasing their playbook with Carroll’s direction.

Carroll will be especially hard pressed to find someone that can “tame” Wilson and hold Wilson accountable when Wilson does not want to run all the time. I remember when they first hired Schotty, they were looking for someone that could “manage” Wilson and tell him, “no, etc.” cause Carroll himself was not willing to do so.

If any posters here that may recall that, please feel oblige to post it, but what Carroll wants is a coordinator that will be a henchman to Carroll and call a vanilla game plan which runs contrary to what rising coaches in this league will want to do especially if they want to be considered a great caller and be a head coach one day.

You will not get that being a Carroll long term offensive coordinator.

We have all seen in it with Bates, Bevell, and Schottenheimer.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":i6bf9hk9 said:
Jerhawk":i6bf9hk9 said:
nanomoz":i6bf9hk9 said:

It’s not like the supermodel doesn’t want to date me. It’s just me being extra careful that she’s a good match. :roll:

Ok. And who exactly is the supermodel that the Seahawks have interest in?

Oh, that's right, a bunch of unproven position coaches.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2w79ss4p said:
massari":2w79ss4p said:
Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

There is definitely some skepticism in the coaching ranks as to how attractive this job is, even with a talent the likes of Russell Wilson to work with (and those receivers).
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... l-oc-more/
I said previously it will not be easy to land an OC with Seattle.

Especially knowing Carroll likes vanilla scheme now.

Coordinators hoping to be head coaches would have a rather hard time showcasing their playbook with Carroll’s direction.

Carroll will be especially hard pressed to find someone that can “tame” Wilson and hold Wilson accountable when Wilson does not want to run all the time. I remember when they first hired Schotty, they were looking for someone that could “manage” Wilson and tell him, “no, etc.” cause Carroll himself was not willing to do so.

If any posters here that may recall that, please feel oblige to post it, but what Carroll wants is a coordinator that will be a henchman to Carroll and call a vanilla game plan which runs contrary to what rising coaches in this league will want to do especially if they want to be considered a great caller and be a head coach one day.

You will not get that being a Carroll long term offensive coordinator.

We have all seen in it with Bates, Bevell, and Schottenheimer.

What we saw with Bates and Bevell are coordinators who were fired because they weren't getting the job done, and haven't really proven they can get the job done elsewhere as far as having a good offense goes.

With Schottenheimer, you have a failed coach who just got done running Georgia's offense into the ground and went to be a quarterback coach in Indy. That same guy was suddenly getting head coach buzz here before his offense fell apart and he couldn't adjust appropriately.

Lets not act like this is some career ruining job. It just doesn't check out whatsoever.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2pqq2els said:
Seattle wants to interview Buffalo's QB Coach.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1353367284841025539[/tweet]

Kick Pete upstairs. Bring Daboll and Dorsey in as HC/OC package deal.