HOF game

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":2lnathhg said:
Popeyejones":2lnathhg said:
Seahawkfan80":2lnathhg said:
I think it is not fair. Indianapolis and Green Bay get 5 preseason games and everyone else 4. Cheatriots. LMAO.

It's different teams each year, usually based on which teams had players inducted into the hall that year. The Packers and Colts were in it this year because Dungy, Harrison, and Favre were inducted.

FWIW I think it's also a major stretch to think of it as a competitive advantage. The injury risk is greater than any gains by far, which is why the HoF game is almost entirely played by guys who will never make a regular season NFL roster.

It didn't use to be that way, players used to feel honored to participate, regardless the field should have been protected with these kind of athletes expected to play on it, think of the advertising revenue that now is owed back, think of the black eye that Goodell is now going to spin some way, it is probably Tom Brady's fault any way :) IF I CAN'T PLAY NOBODY IS PLAYING!!! :)

People say a lot of things. Were people honored to play in it back in the 70s when they introduced it or were they the same as players today who say their honored but really just don't want to get injured and think it's a pain in the ass.

Either way, it's a back of the roster scrimmage. If it were a competitive advantage teams would be angling to play in it. If anything the only upside to playing in it is from a national branding perspective as it's the first televised scrimmage of the year so people watch it, despite it mostly being played by a bunch of future delivery men and substitute teachers.

irocdave

Reaction score
It wasn't just the paint. There are pics of the sidelines and all you see are rubber chips, same crap my kids seem to be magnetized too when they come home from football practice. Our entryway is covered with this stuff when my kids come home.

The concert and event last night depressed the field, then the lowest priced painter used acetone or something to prep the plastic field in the endzones. What a frigging gong show, how does this happen? I could care less about the 5th string guard from the Packers or Colts, but the NFL builds this up as the kickoff to each season. I was going to watch (not have to talk to the wife) for 4 hours, now I'm stuck doing honey do list shit.

Goodell should get the boot for this.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":isi6xcd7 said:
chris98251":isi6xcd7 said:
Popeyejones":isi6xcd7 said:
Seahawkfan80":isi6xcd7 said:
I think it is not fair. Indianapolis and Green Bay get 5 preseason games and everyone else 4. Cheatriots. LMAO.

It's different teams each year, usually based on which teams had players inducted into the hall that year. The Packers and Colts were in it this year because Dungy, Harrison, and Favre were inducted.

FWIW I think it's also a major stretch to think of it as a competitive advantage. The injury risk is greater than any gains by far, which is why the HoF game is almost entirely played by guys who will never make a regular season NFL roster.

It didn't use to be that way, players used to feel honored to participate, regardless the field should have been protected with these kind of athletes expected to play on it, think of the advertising revenue that now is owed back, think of the black eye that Goodell is now going to spin some way, it is probably Tom Brady's fault any way :) IF I CAN'T PLAY NOBODY IS PLAYING!!! :)

People say a lot of things. Were people honored to play in it back in the 70s when they introduced it or were they the same as players today who say their honored but really just don't want to get injured and think it's a pain in the ass.

Either way, it's a back of the roster scrimmage. If it were a competitive advantage teams would be angling to play in it. If anything the only upside to playing in it is from a national branding perspective as it's the first televised scrimmage of the year so people watch it, despite it mostly being played by a bunch of future delivery men and substitute teachers.

People used to play competitively in the Pro bowl also, different mentality, players are a commodity now that teams don't want to risk anymore then someone using a Ferrari as their commuter car.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
irocdave":2u546t5n said:
It wasn't just the paint. There are pics of the sidelines and all you see are rubber chips, same crap my kids seem to be magnetized too when they come home from football practice. Our entryway is covered with this stuff when my kids come home.
J
The concert and event last night depressed the field, then the lowest priced painter used acetone or something to prep the plastic field in the endzones. What a frigging gong show, how does this happen? I could care less about the 5th string guard from the Packers or Colts, but the NFL builds this up as the kickoff to each season. I was going to watch (not have to talk to the wife) for 4 hours, now I'm stuck doing honey do list shit.

Goodell should get the boot for this.
Now we see the real reason for your disappointment. :rumble:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Goodell is too busy acting as judge/jury/executioner and counting his millions to care much about the product on the field.

Why in the world would they allow a concert at that venue two days prior?? Come on.

Anyways...some Seahawks trivia:

The Seahawks have played in the HOF game twice in our history, the most recent being in 1997.

Can you name the two teams we have played? I know Google will help you, but it's fun to try and remember. If it helps, we won one and lost one and our win was a blowout/shutout.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ just to repeat, the concert literally has nothing to do with anything.

It's field turf they got from the Saints and installed this year.

If a concert two days prior caused problems then the second half of Super Bowls could never be played because those fields are holding concerts ten minutes prior to the second half kick off.

The issue was the paint, which they made worse by trying to dry out and inadvertently melting it into the field turf.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2yas8yxv said:

If a concert two days prior caused problems then the second half of Super Bowls could never be played because those fields are holding concerts ten minutes prior to the second half kick off.

The issue was the paint, which they made worse by trying to dry out and inadvertently melting it into the field turf.

Aha...thanks.

But details aside, the NFL gooned this.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If I were a Packer or Colt fan I'd be relieved they're playing one less meaningless game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2nrjcs4d said:
If I were a Packer or Colt fan I'd be relieved they're playing one less meaningless game.

Yep, They both won this round. :2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3ter02ux said:
Popeyejones":3ter02ux said:

Aha...thanks.

But details aside, the NFL gooned this.

Yep. Absolutely. Supposedly this amounts to a 4 million dollar mistake.

And not that anyone actually excepts roger to be out on the field supervising logos before a game, but it's definitely another mark against his watch, even if a minor one.