HOF: The Upper Room

NoGain

Reaction score
I was on the exercise bike watching PFT with Mike Florio and Chris Simms. They were talking about Deion Sanders' idea about creating a place within the HOF for the super elite players. They both like his idea. As Neon Deion said, players casually talk about the players they think were the uber stars who really dominated their position or changed the game in some way. He kind of joked about players going "that guy's in the same HOF as LT?" Prime Time in an interview went on to say that players should decide who gets in the "special wing", as they are the ones who know who those players really are.

Florio and Simms went on to say that perhaps one player should get voted in a year, and that eligibility should comprise roughly the Super Bowl era, with some obvious exceptions. A few players they mentioned would make it would be...

--Jim Brown
--Tom Brady
--Peyton Manning
--Deion Sanders
--Troy Polamalu
--Lawrence Taylor

There might have been a couple more, but I don't remember.

Regardless of whether or not you like the idea, what other player might you add? These are just the super ubers. I would add a few...

--Dick Butkus
--Walter Payton
--Joe Montana
--Jerry Rice
--Reggie White

I'll stop there. Others?

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score
There would be a number of Niners on that list, but I, for one, don't like the idea.

We don't need a class system in the HoF. What purpose does it serve? "You were really good, but here's a kick in the ass because you weren't THAT good"?

All it does is feed egos of guys like Deion. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but not necessary.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
They mentioned a few more for sures...

--Ed Reed
--Ray Lewis
--John Elway

I thought of a few more on my end...

--Deacon Jones
--Alan Page
--Anthony Munoz

Aircrew

Reaction score
There would be a number of Niners on that list, but I, for one, don't like the idea.

We don't need a class system in the HoF. What purpose does it serve? "You were really good, but here's a kick in the ass because you weren't THAT good"?

All it does is feed egos of guys like Deion. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but not necessary.
While I tend to agree with everything you said, I think it's worth at least mentioning that HOF admissions have gotten a little lax in the last several years. Knowing that, I can see why Deion is suggesting something like this. I would recommend the Hall just go back to their roots and only let in players who are truly the best of the best.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Too late now but they should have kept the amount of yearly additions minimal to make sure only the best of the best get in. now there are so many names that it feels largely meaningless to me.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
Too late now but they should have kept the amount of yearly additions minimal to make sure only the best of the best get in. now there are so many names that it feels largely meaningless to me.
Yeah, it's a quota and lobbying thing to get in now. There are already players from the past who are saying...what a minute...that guy got in...I'm better than he was when I was playing...

I have no problem with a tier system. As Sanders said in the short interview I saw...the players know who would really deserve it.

Torc

Reaction score
I would agree the Hall of Fame has much lower standards than it used to or should. I'm not sure a "hall of fame of hall of famers" is the right answer though.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
As mentioned above, just stop electing the ‘really good’ to the HoF.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
Maybe this thread should have been who got in who shouldn't have. When you think about the HOF needing an upper room like Deion suggests, there's little doubt that RW doesn't belong. RW would be in the lower room at best.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Maybe this thread should have been who got in who shouldn't have. When you think about the HOF needing an upper room like Deion suggests, there's little doubt that RW doesn't belong. RW would be in the lower room at best.

Twist for the modern age of reality TV: The selection committee votes out one undeserving player per year!

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Time to eliminate the yearly HOF classes. Only nominate the worthy. If there are 0 nominees in a given year, so be it.