Hitting the QB on the read option

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this, or if they did I did not see it.

(This is Seahawk relevant because we have talked about using Wilson on the read option more as well as because it affects how we play the read option on defense).

Apparently, the league clarified the rules recently and the QB can be hit like a runner EVEN AFTER THE QB HAS MADE THE PITCH.

This is an important distinction because of the amount of additional protections QBs under the designation "defenseless player".

Did I miss the thread on this? I know that we do not run the read option as much as we are perceived to...but supposedly the lack of FB and likely less TEs seemed to imply we might increase that. Does this change things knowing that if Wilson is injured we really hurt our chances to win?

slargent4ever

Reaction score
They may have to add some sort of rule to protect defensive players from Russell Wilson.

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
Right, I believe the clarification was in response to comments made by Clay Matthews and how GB is going to get after Kap and hit him relentlessly on these read options. Something along those lines...

I don't think it changes anything. Russ is smart enough to get out of dodge or get down.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Seattle will only go to the read option if the standard zone running and play action are not working, even then I don't remember Wilson getting hit behind the line of scrimmage when running the read option. I think we'll be fine.

This is only coming up because Green Bay went to kill the QB instead of playing contain since the defensive coordinator doesn't play that way. Instead, Kaepernick ran right through giant holes in the defense. I don't think Green Bay has learned their lesson yet either and I expect the same to happen to them on Sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is a non-factor for the Hawks.

1. We only use the read maybe five times a game.
2. Even RW admits that even those times he mostly hands it off to Lynch. Rarely keeping it unless he sees TONS of space.

IMO the clarification is a good thing, cause it means once QB's like Kaepernick and Newton who run it 15-20 plays a game get outside the pocket they're fair game for our nasty D to unload on.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Someone, I'm not going to name any names, was QQ'in to the league....again....because he didn't want Squidward (name was removed to protect player) to get any cheap shots during their game.

88caaba857be3128705bdd2468c87041.gif

ad4d04d4713651d4ad4680bb341f981f.gif

7bc602867c27fe9f9e68b50bcd555819.gif

Hawks46

Reaction score
Watching those gifs of Harbaugh....I wonder what the over/under is for his head exploding during a game.

That guy is a serious cantidate for a stroke.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Mathews makes a decent point in theory, but the real problem with that strategy is that defensive players are instinctively wired to attack the ball. Can you really expect them to take themselves out of the running play in order make a largely useless hit on the QB? I think this works better in theory than it does in execution. Most guys are going to go after the ball every time.

13thMan

Reaction score
12th_Bob":40rgd0fs said:
Seattle will only go to the read option if the standard zone running and play action are not working, even then I don't remember Wilson getting hit behind the line of scrimmage when running the read option. I think we'll be fine.

This is only coming up because Green Bay went to kill the QB instead of playing contain since the defensive coordinator doesn't play that way. Instead, Kaepernick ran right through giant holes in the defense. I don't think Green Bay has learned their lesson yet either and I expect the same to happen to them on Sunday.

Yep... I was shocked at the swiss cheese defense GB put on display in the playoff game last year. In the second half, the all just quit... Dom Capers had no answers and the players just started waiving the white flag.

I will be interested to see what adjustments if any they come up with for this Sunday.

Great slate of football this weekend too!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hi2ky50 said:

2. Even RW admits that even those times he mostly hands it off to Lynch. Rarely keeping it unless he sees TONS of space.

IMO the clarification is a good thing, cause it means once QB's like Kaepernick and Newton who run it 15-20 plays a game get outside the pocket they're fair game for our nasty D to unload on.

Actually Seattle used the Read Option more often than SF. Caralonia used it the most, followed by Washington, then Seattle and finally SF.

13thMan

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2db6odjx said:
Sgt. Largent":2db6odjx said:

Actually Seattle used the Read Option more often than SF. Caralonia used it the most, followed by Washington, then Seattle and finally SF.

This is interesting... I knew that Carolina is tops as far as how much they run the RO, but I had no idea that we actually ran it more than the Niners....

Also, Washington can't afford to keep running it like they do, or RGIII will become RGDead..... Either that, or he needs to get much smarter about running in the open field. Noticed last year that he was getting blasted all over the place and yet, RW, Newton and Kaepernick seem to have a knack for avoiding the big hit....

mjwhitay

Reaction score
QuickLightning":3t5i0nur said:

Is this an average per game or a season-long total? I ask because, you know, Kaepernick only started half the season. From what I saw, the Niners run it more, on average.

chsamia

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong i thought the ravens did this during the superbowl, they punsihed squidward by hitting him during the read option?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I guess some might be missing the point. Or maybe are taking this issue too lightly. To me, this is seriously flawed ...
A traditional QB cannot be hit, once he has released (thrown) the ball. Correct? Hitting the QB will result in "Roughing the passer" penalty.
I understand that any QB that is passed the line of scrimmage or outside the tackle box can be hit. I get that.

But, Once a QB fakes the Read Option and the runner (RB) is gone with the ball, can a defender hit the QB out of nowhere?
Basically, the defender might know, he can't catch up to the RB who is already a few yards down the field, but the defensive player might decide to just keep going towards the QB and hit push/him/tackle him.
This may sound harmless and one(1) or two(2) hits might not matter, but 5 - 10 hits , real tackling of the QB who doesn't have the ball? I'm sorry folks, this is going to get some QBs hurt (including RW). I believe ESPN did show a footage, where CK was consistently pushed/hit by Suggs, well after the ball was gone ...

It is simply naive to believe "Well, won't happen to our QB" and that it will only happen to the QBs of the other team(s) we don't like. When defenders start taking shots at helpless QBs, this is not fun, regardless of which QB it is. And the league knows it. I'm just shocked they are doing nothing to prevent it.

What about QBs who do the play action? And end up NOT giving the ball to the RBs? They are still in the tackle box. Can they get hit? Nothing says they are going to throw the ball ... They could decide to run ... correct? Isn't that a form of read-option? (fake the run and keep the ball) ...

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3selwoni said:
I guess some might be missing the point. Or maybe are taking this issue too lightly. To me, this is seriously flawed ...
A traditional QB cannot be hit, once he has released (thrown) the ball. Correct? Hitting the QB will result in "Roughing the passer" penalty.
I understand that any QB that is passed the line of scrimmage or outside the tackle box can be hit. I get that.

But, Once a QB fakes the Read Option and the runner (RB) is gone with the ball, can a defender hit the QB out of nowhere?
Basically, the defender might know, he can't catch up to the RB who is already a few yards down the field, but the defensive player might decide to just keep going towards the QB and hit push/him/tackle him.
This may sound harmless and one(1) or two(2) hits might not matter, but 5 - 10 hits , real tackling of the QB who doesn't have the ball? I'm sorry folks, this is going to get some QBs hurt (including RW). I believe ESPN did show a footage, where CK was consistently pushed/hit by Suggs, well after the ball was gone ...

It is simply naive to believe "Well, won't happen to our QB" and that it will only happen to the QBs of the other team(s) we don't like. When defenders start taking shots at helpless QBs, this is not fun, regardless of which QB it is. And the league knows it. I'm just shocked they are doing nothing to prevent it.

What about QBs who do the play action? And end up NOT giving the ball to the RBs? They are still in the tackle box. Can they get hit? Nothing says they are going to throw the ball ... They could decide to run ... correct? Isn't that a form of read-option? (fake the run and keep the ball) ...

The way I understand it, if the QB is CLEARLY not envolved in the play, he is protected, but if he is hit, say 1 second or 1.5 seconds after, he is fair game. Again, it's making sure the QB is clearly not in the play. The NFL says that if a QB places his hands in the air to show he doesnt have the ball, he is good, but if he fakes and takes off and runs to fool the D into thinking he has the ball, he can get blown up.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":8vk2m59i said:
There is no pitch in the read option.

This - its basically a delayed handoff. I think people are confusing this with college style option football where the QB runs the ball outside the tackles and has the option to pitch to the RB. The Zone Read is just a different way of handing the ball off in the backfield.

Edit - with visuals

Zone Read - No pitch, handoff in backfield - we run this quite a bit.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap2000000128496/How-to-read-the-zone-read-option

Traditional Option - QB takes play outside the tackles as a runner ... we never run this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkK4E7KfNBE

Tical21

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2btzwk6x said:

This was discussed at length a few months ago.

The new ruling basically will give the defense a second or so to hit the QB after the ball is handed off, using the argument that the defense can't be 100% sure who has the ball. Teams use specific rules against the option. You have somebody in charge of the RB, and somebody in charge of the QB. You better believe teams are going to go into the gray area of this rule, and see how late they can hit the QB before they get too many penalties.

Now, the timing is a little tricky. The "read" defender is unblocked. If he makes a bee-line to the QB, he will get there in-time to take a free shot on the QB. If he takes a half-second to diagnose the play, he won't get to the QB in time to make a legal hit. Either way, I stand by my prediction that while not extinct, the read option use will regress significantly.

Latest posts