Hitting the QB on the read option

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson fakes the handoff while inside the tackles and rolls out, he typically isn't outside the tackles stringing out the play waiting to pitch or take it up field, if he keeps it it usally is after his fake and he turns it up anyway. He won't be pitching and taking a hit like a option. His fake is more whether he has given it to a back or keeping it to go up outside the tackle and he is off and running right away, or rolling out to pass, either way he is reading the DE and a LB most likely so they are in front of him.

hawk45

Reaction score
Chris that's the one thing that makes me feel better about it; the fact that Wilson is so good at staying safe. If he keeps his eyes on the DE and LB and throws himself down if they come anywhere near him, then okay I'll allow us to run it.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
camdawg":3rf0o56e said:
TwistedHusky":3rf0o56e said:
Read the release on the rule again.

It is very specific. The QB is not protected in the read option until the QB has taken themselves out of the play.

This means you absolutely get a free shot at the QB after almost every handoff where the QB acts as if they might have the ball as a running threat. It is now the responsibility of the QB to clearly communicate they are not a runner by communicating they are out of the play, until they do this they are an available target.

That is how I am interpreting the rule.

Of course, they cannot take free shots at the QB if the QB clearly does not have the ball. But since the read option works by confusing the defense as to who has the ball as long as the defender can reasonably think the QB still might have the ball they are allowed to consider them a runner and hit them.

But here's the thing about the read option-and how it's so different than the option plays of the past. Once the backside DE has either stayed home, or decided to rush the QB, the QB will immediately hand the ball off, and no longer has any reason to fake that he might still have the ball. Watch Oregon....once the handoff has taken place, Mariota doesn't really fake that he has the ball. He doesn't need to-as Oregon has a man advantage at the point of attack for the tailback to exploit.

That's why running at the QB if you're the optioned defender in a zone read play is often the worst possible thing you could do. You make the QB's read easy and immediate-and for very fast tailbacks, you've given them a possible cutback lane to the backside. Really, the only way you might be able to guarantee a hit on the QB in a zone read play, is to force him to keep it by having the optioned defender go after the tailback.

Last part is key. You can give yourself more hits on the QB by intentionally having the defense go after the pitch man first. Most QBs will then either cut it up inside themselves or run counter across the formation. Either one leaves the QB with the ball, near the tackles, on the LOS, as a runner... there are ways of taking the "new" option and forcing more QB runs, which can lead to more QB hits, even if the QB when they pitch make it clear that they are getting rid of the ball... it's easy, don't let them pitch!

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
Here is a twist on this rule; Aaron Rodgers Hands the ball off, and does a fake throw after the running back goes through the line. This is a play designed to fool the defense into thinking Rodgers has the ball. On other plays, he may fake the handoff, and keep the ball behind his back, then throw a pass while the defense is focused on the back. In both cases, he is clearly disguising the location of the ball, and declaring that he may or may not possess the ball in an attempt to pass or run. If a QB on a read option play must clearly show he is out of the play, in order not to take a cheap shot, shouldn't a pocket QB have to declare that he is "ball less" as well? I think what is wrong with the new rule, is that certain QBs will be targeted for cheap shots, I.E., Kaepernick, Wilson, RGIII, and Newton, while QBs who are terrible athletes, will be afforded extra protection. I would love to see a team wipe out Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Eli, etc while do a play action fake. If our QBs are fair game, then theirs should be as well. I think the best rule would be one that affords no extra protection to any player. (Maybe a kicker, they need it).

chris98251

Reaction score
If Rodgers is in the "pocket" then he and all others in the pocket are protected since unless pressured he isn't by design planning on running the ball.

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
chris98251":12o1vkcx said:
If Rodgers is in the "pocket" then he and all others in the pocket are protected since unless pressured he isn't by design planning on running the ball.

Since the defense does not know if the QB is a runner or a passer, while he is in the pocket, until he has committed, he should be fair game. The new rule is designed to reward QBs who are not mobile, and punish QBs that are. Example: Wilson, while a great passer, is know as a QB who can run at any moment. Whenever he has the ball in his hands, he is a threat to run. Should other teams be able to hit him like a running back because he possess the talent to run? This rule has nothing to do with formations, and everything to do with the name of the QB. Peyton Manning has employed the read option quite a bit this year. No one has paid him any attention, because he runs like a grandma. However, if Wilson, or Kaepernick run a read option fake, they will get hit every time, and will probably get hit late, until the refs figure the rule out. Manning will draw a flag the first time, because his status as a pocket pass will negate the new read option rules. Penalties are non reviewable. the first time Manning, Brady, or Rodgers gets hit, it will be a flag. Whereas Wilson, Kaepernick, RGIII, and Newton will draw that contact every play, and the refs will only throw the flag if it is very blatant. Maybe I'm just reading into this too much, but I just see a new breed of QB being punished for having talents that an older breed of QB does not possess.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Thanks for being even more precise about this. This is exactly what I have been trying to say.
There is indeed NOTHING that prevents a defender to consistently zero-in on the QB and hit him every single time (on a hand-off), whether he has the ball or not. The problem is not one hit or two hits, the problem is those persistent hits/push/shoves that accumulate ... etc.
The league is basically saying "We don't want those mobile QBs, we will allow them to get hit no matter what". At the same time, I can remember the NFL changing rules every single year trying to protect their "20-30millions/year investments": Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, ...etc because they can't run.
The NFL is dropping the ball here and people shouldn't just close their eyes on the issue, because it was brought up by Harbaugh (a guy we hate here). Pete should become just as outspoken about it as Harbaugh. I'm really mad at Pete not saying anything about it. Coaches with mobile QBs should speak up to protect their investments. Yes, I understand that most of these guys are still on Rookie contracts.
I remember Vick complaining that he wasn't as protected as other QBs ... and people said he was "lazy", "couldn't throw", "he has a bad offensive line", "he is not very bright" ... blah blah blah ... I'm not making excuses for Vick, but it is time the NFL addresses clearly the issue of mobile QBs.
Dick Johnson":1iwm8er7 said:
chris98251":1iwm8er7 said:

Since the defense does not know if the QB is a runner or a passer, while he is in the pocket, until he has committed, he should be fair game. The new rule is designed to reward QBs who are not mobile, and punish QBs that are. Example: Wilson, while a great passer, is know as a QB who can run at any moment. Whenever he has the ball in his hands, he is a threat to run. Should other teams be able to hit him like a running back because he possess the talent to run? This rule has nothing to do with formations, and everything to do with the name of the QB. Peyton Manning has employed the read option quite a bit this year. No one has paid him any attention, because he runs like a grandma. However, if Wilson, or Kaepernick run a read option fake, they will get hit every time, and will probably get hit late, until the refs figure the rule out. Manning will draw a flag the first time, because his status as a pocket pass will negate the new read option rules. Penalties are non reviewable. the first time Manning, Brady, or Rodgers gets hit, it will be a flag. Whereas Wilson, Kaepernick, RGIII, and Newton will draw that contact every play, and the refs will only throw the flag if it is very blatant. Maybe I'm just reading into this too much, but I just see a new breed of QB being punished for having talents that an older breed of QB does not possess.

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
joeseahawks":hx24nbhx said:
Thanks for being even more precise about this. This is exactly what I have been trying to say.
There is indeed NOTHING that prevents a defender to consistently zero-in on the QB and hit him every single time (on a hand-off), whether he has the ball or not. The problem is not one hit or two hits, the problem is those persistent hits/push/shoves that accumulate ... etc.
The league is basically saying "We don't want those mobile QBs, we will allow them to get hit no matter what". At the same time, I can remember the NFL changing rules every single year trying to protect their "20-30millions/year investments": Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, ...etc because they can't run.
The NFL is dropping the ball here and people shouldn't just close their eyes on the issue, because it was brought up by Harbaugh (a guy we hate here). Pete should become just as outspoken about it as Harbaugh. I'm really mad at Pete not saying anything about it. Coaches with mobile QBs should speak up to protect their investments. Yes, I understand that most of these guys are still on Rookie contracts.
I remember Vick complaining that he wasn't as protected as other QBs ... and people said he was "lazy", "couldn't throw", "he has a bad offensive line", "he is not very bright" ... blah blah blah ... I'm not making excuses for Vick, but it is time the NFL addresses clearly the issue of mobile QBs.
Dick Johnson":hx24nbhx said:
chris98251":hx24nbhx said:
Exactly what I was thinking Joe, We may be fans of rival teams, but our QBs are the future of the NFL. We need to stick together on this issue. We can hate each other the rest of the week.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
You can hit a QB who is in the pocket if he has the ball. Its called a sack. There is no special protection. Only once he has released the ball is he protected.

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
Here is the difference tech, you can hit a QB in the pocket between the knees and the neck only. A mobile QB, or one that has the ability to run, may be hit in the knees, above the shoulders, from behind, high and low, and any combination , as long as he may posse the ability to run. A QB who is not mobile, will automatically get the benefit of doubt from the ref, whereas a mobile QB will only get protection when the defender goes well over the top. It's pretty clear how the ne rule is construed. How are you guys, with a mobile QB not sing this?

Dismas

Reaction score
I personally think this is all being blown way out of proportion.
They clarified the rule, but didn't change anything, so it isn't like there is a big revolution in what is ok now.
And really, if some team takes a technically legal, but still cheap ass shot on our QB, I fully expect the whole team is willing to take 15 yards the next series for a blatant creaming of the other team's QB.

All this hit the QB bluster is dandy, but I don't expect we will really see anything more than the weak sauce type stuff the Ravens threw at Kaepernick in the superbowl.