Hey - this Russell Wilson kid is pretty good...

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I think the fact that Wilson is breaking a lot of records he set in his rookie year (comp%,yards..TDs,etc) just illustrates the point that he has been this caliber of QB all along. Every QB has growing pains and needs a few years to get it together, and Russell has shown since college, rookie minicamps, and his first 3 years that he was special. I was hoping he would take the needed step forward this year and the fact he has is exciting, but not at all surprising if you have been paying attention.

rastahawk

Reaction score
While I don't claim to be an expert at player evaluation I do credit myself for "mostly" getting it right when I feel the time is right to move on from some players. Most of the guys that give me fits have never really redeemed themselves. With Russell though I have been very patient and understanding with his growth process. I feel like he's different in so many ways and not just a passing fad. I believe in him. Just when everybody thought that the league had him figured out he switches gears. An amazing individual.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
It's amazing how being critical of a player's play when they aren't playing well gets you called out when they do play well.

Not surprising really.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":21abnov6 said:
It's amazing how being critical of a player's play when they aren't playing well gets you called out when they do play well.

Not surprising really.

I think there is a difference between being critical of the way Russell was playing at the beginning of the year and making the claim that he did not have the potential to play at an elite level. You may have done the former (as did I), but there were also a lot of people saying the latter, i.e. that he could NEVER be an elite pocket passer, that he wasn't worth $20-22 million per year, etc.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Aros":1ly46d3m said:
I said it 50 times I will say it 12,000 more times...

NOTHING has changed my perception of Russell Wilson since day one. He's only shown Hall of Fame characteristics since day one. Sure he's had his drop offs and poor performances but what HOF QB hasn't? Seriously?

All this kid has done is shown the world that he is special and most importantly a WINNER.

Marker my words...This kid will have a bronze bust displayed in Canton, Ohio years from now.

Pretty much my sentiments.

I understand why people want to blame the QB; he leads the offense, so the buck stops there, but so many choose to overlook one very important thing. Some vestige of pass protection is a MUST for any QB; I don't care who it is. Otherwise he is running for his life, having to pull out miraculous escapes and make improbable completions play after play, and game after game. Ring a bell? It also floors me when people bring out a laundry list of QB's they would 'trade' him for, but also say that only 2-3 QBs in the league could survive being behind the early-season version of our OL. Some aren't even savvy enough to realize THAT!

For the first half of the season, Russ was absorbing what our coaches termed an 'alarming' sack rate, yet he patiently sacrificed himself in that joke of a pocket to help our green OL develop, while resisting the urge to pull a rabbit out of his hat with the sandlot style of plays he pulled off in 2013. He remained very patient, and, during that wait, Bevell devised a better framework for the passing game with plans that got the ball out quicker at mid-season. Funny thing happened a bit after that framework was fully in-place, and the new OL started to 'get it,' eh? You heard words from Russ like "we're so close right now." Shortly after that, his patience was rewarded.

Now we see that same guy, yet so many people say the transformation (and problem) was mainly with him. Most don't have any idea of what allowed that change to happen. His patience with the plan and sacrifice allowed the entire offense to elevate right along with him. I'm just glad he stayed in one piece while that was happening. How many other QBs would have been destroyed mentally and physically by having to deal with our OL issues over the years? This guy has been NAILS considering the circumstances, yet some of you wanted the trade him for the likes of Derreck Carr, or put a statue like Rivers back there? CLuck throwing his classic plucks??...give me a break.

I've never seen a QB that learns so quickly and makes corrections so easily. Now he's cranking out stats that put him in rarified air, and well before the QBs in that distinguished group (Brady, Manning and Rodgers) accomplished the same feat...with a higher completion rate to boot!

Yeah, I'll keep our "Midget who can't play" for as long as he'll stay. Sure wish I could fully embrace one of his habits, by 'ignoring the noise' that happens in some of these threads.

Seafan

Reaction score
Donk70":9whzmrji said:
I was on him earlier because he wasn't playing to the level of his contract. You can't argue that.

Now he is, and you can't argue that either. He's put the team on his shoulders. You can now classify him as elite.

Even Prisco can't argue with that.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Found this thread so I could eat some crow.

I've been hard on Wilson in the past....starting to see that I was wrong. Didn't think he'd be worth the money, but he definitely has shown that he is. Moving himself into the top 5 category.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seafan":1gypr1nd said:
Donk70":1gypr1nd said:
I was on him earlier because he wasn't playing to the level of his contract. You can't argue that.

Now he is, and you can't argue that either. He's put the team on his shoulders. You can now classify him as elite.

Actually, Prisco thinks he's just making easy throws and easy decisions.

Pete Prisco":1gypr1nd said:
I have been one of the most vocal Wilson critics. I think he’s a good quarterback, while most think he’s great. My biggest criticism of his play has been that he isn’t great from the pocket. I don’t care how his cult twists numbers, but he’s not a stand-in-and-make-reads-and-throws quarterback.

He still isn’t.

Pete Prisco":1gypr1nd said:
When I went back and studied his games, what I saw was a quarterback making easy throws and easy decisions. The Seahawks staff has done an incredible job of helping Wilson get the ball out to make those plays. They tweaked the offense, giving more to him, after Week 9 and it’s paying off.

http://theteam.fm/2015/12/10/prisco-wil ... ing-flight

Full of "yeah but".

[edit] I'll just add (so nobody misunderstands my point) that I agree with part of Prisco's comments in that the coaching staff have tweaked things to help get the ball out more quickly, to open receivers. I just won't be discounting the players' contributions.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If Prisco thinks it's so easy, then why doesn't every OC do the same for his QB? Some have even better O-lines and WRs than we do, yet nobody--NOBODY--is putting up the numbers that Russ is right now. The guy's bias has blinded him.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
LOL Prisco. I like it, though. He's dedicated to his opinion of RW and he's gonna try to make it work no matter what.

One thing I wanted to mention is that not only has RW thrown 16TD and 0INTs the last 4 games...I don't recall a single ball that was even close to being intercepted. Maybe there was one or two I missed. But I see near-interceptions from lots of QBs every week. Russ has had plenty of them this year. But not lately.

I don't know if any QB is throwing the ball more accurately than him right now.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":anugjgdv said:
LOL Prisco. I like it, though. He's dedicated to his opinion of RW and he's gonna try to make it work no matter what.

One thing I wanted to mention is that not only has RW thrown 16TD and 0INTs the last 4 games...I don't recall a single ball that was even close to being intercepted. Maybe there was one or two I missed. But I see near-interceptions from lots of QBs every week. Russ has had plenty of them this year. But not lately.

I don't know if any QB is throwing the ball more accurately than him right now.

Yesterday, one ball over the middle near our own goal-line was nearly picked off by a LBer, but it was thrown behind him and pretty hot, so he couldn't get both hands on it. Would have been a pretty bad INT on our own 5. I think that's about it, though.

Phoenix

Reaction score
The man has set so many records, and is continuing to do so. Only Elite Quarterbacks do this.

(Source: Wikipedia=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson#Records_and_achievements)

Records and achievements NFL

Most passing touchdowns in a season by a rookie: 26 (tied with Peyton Manning)[84]
Best touchdown pass–interception differential, rookie season: +16 (26 TDs, 10 INTs)[85]
Most passing yards in a playoff game by a rookie: 385[86]
Most regular season wins by a quarterback in his first two seasons (24); most total wins in first two seasons (28, including playoffs)[87][88]
Most regular season wins by a quarterback in his first three seasons (36)[84][89]
First and only quarterback to throw for 300+ yards and rush for 100+ yards in a single game (vs St. Louis Rams) (10/19/14)[90]
2nd highest passer rating, regular season (minimum 1,500 attempts): 101.3[91]

Seattle Seahawks

Highest passer rating, career (minimum 500 attempts): 101.3[92]
Highest passer rating, season (minimum 200 attempts): 101.2, 2013[93]
Highest passer rating, rookie season (minimum 200 attempts): 100.0[94]
Highest completion percentage, career (minimum 500 attempts): 64.67[95]
Highest completion percentage, rookie season (minimum 200 attempts): 64.12[96]
Highest yards per attempt, career (minimum 500 attempts): 8.09[97]
Highest yards per attempt, rookie season (minimum 200 attempts): 7.93[98]
Lowest percentage passes had intercepted, career (minimum 500 attempts): 2.02[99]
Lowest percentage passes had intercepted, rookie season (minimum 200 attempts): 2.54[100]
Most rushing yards by a quarterback, career: 2,333[101]
Most rushing yards by a quarterback, season: 849, 2014[102]
Most wins by a starting quarterback, season (tied with Matt Hasselbeck): 13, 2013[103]
Most passing yards, rookie season: 3,118[104]
Most passing touchdowns, rookie season: 26[105]
Most passing touchdowns, game (tied with three players): 5 on November 29, 2015 and December 13, 2015[106]
Most games, 5+ TD passes, season: 2, 2015

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Laloosh":1dv6cjs0 said:
Seafan":1dv6cjs0 said:
Donk70":1dv6cjs0 said:

Pete Prisco":1dv6cjs0 said:
I have been one of the most vocal Wilson critics. I think he’s a good quarterback, while most think he’s great. My biggest criticism of his play has been that he isn’t great from the pocket. I don’t care how his cult twists numbers, but he’s not a stand-in-and-make-reads-and-throws quarterback.

He still isn’t.

Pete Prisco":1dv6cjs0 said:
When I went back and studied his games, what I saw was a quarterback making easy throws and easy decisions. The Seahawks staff has done an incredible job of helping Wilson get the ball out to make those plays. They tweaked the offense, giving more to him, after Week 9 and it’s paying off.

Full of "yeah but".

[edit] I'll just add (so nobody misunderstands my point) that I agree with part of Prisco's comments in that the coaching staff have tweaked things to help get the ball out more quickly, to open receivers. I just won't be discounting the players' contributions.
Please people, just stop giving this hater your clicks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2t24x56v said:

Not surprising really.

What is NOT surprising, is how some will ignore, or dismiss any facts when it doesn't support their criticisms.
It's a pretty common occurrence around here.
It's like their critiquing opinions are formed in a vacuum, or black hole. :lol:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":g413vydb said:
Laloosh":g413vydb said:
Seafan":g413vydb said:
Donk70":g413vydb said:

Pete Prisco":g413vydb said:

He still isn’t.

Pete Prisco":g413vydb said:

Full of "yeah but".

Please people, just stop giving this hater your clicks.

I dont click on his articles, but I was curious what he was saying on twitter. So he now calls people that defend Wilson to him a 'cult'? Is this new? hahaha the guy is such an obvious troll.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
DangerRuss have been activated for another December run, just been upgraded to Elite status.

Robotwilson

Laloosh

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":19ftop64 said:
DangerRuss have been activated for another December run, just been upgraded to Elite status.

Robotwilson

You're making these yourself, right? Seem to remember some other stuff you did. If so, keep it up!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":1lc0l5aj said:
Nice to see him get it together this year, great player, although I hear a bunch of Seahawks fans on this board regret overpaying him earlier this season. :)
See you in Glendale in the middle of January. California surfer against Batman should be epic.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Laloosh":1nkcmtfp said:
theincrediblesok":1nkcmtfp said:

Robotwilson

You're making these yourself, right? Seem to remember some other stuff you did. If so, keep it up!

Yup, some are just graphic designs, some are over paint (digital painting over a photo) like this one, with photo reference to bash together to make the robot face. The Marshawn Lynch one was fully digitally painted. I enjoy making them and it gives me practice into moving into drawing/painting digitally, I hope to be a great digital painter one day.

Latest posts