Help! I'm confused re: the OPI on Kearse

renofox

Reaction score
I no longer have TIVO but several posters have said Kearse didn't touch the other player and I'm pretty sure I remember Kearse stopping his 'route' and looking back at the QB without initiating any contact.

Checked a few articles discussing the OPI rule and the 2016 NFL Rulebook (http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...ticle-4.-other-prohibited-acts-by-the-offense) and everything seems to say that it is only OPI if:

"Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference."

or

"Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball."

Can anybody clarify this for me? Am i missing something?

It just seems that it was a really weird call and I've never seen anything so ticky-tack called in any game I've ever watched. Instead I've seen all kinds of "receiver levels the defender" type plays not called OPI.

I don't get it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ya I was super confused about that call. The most bogus ticky tack penalty ever.

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
Kearse was called for a basic pick play. He was beyond one yard and that's why it was called opi.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
SeahawkFrost":3r2ee4p4 said:
Lease was called for a basic pick play. He was beyond one yard and that's why it was called opi.

But if he didn't initiate contact, how is it pick?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
SeahawkFrost":13r781gv said:
Kearse was called for a basic pick play. He was beyond one yard and that's why it was called opi.

Sorry, did you say something?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
renofox":c0hhvz8h said:
SeahawkFrost":c0hhvz8h said:
Lease was called for a basic pick play. He was beyond one yard and that's why it was called opi.

But if he didn't initiate contact, how is it pick?
It wasn't a pick play, just another phantom call from Rog's henchmen.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Lots of NFL rules are just vey fuzzy. Unfortunately many announcers go beyond calling the game, but insert themselves with opinions that have nothing to do with the actual rules of the game.

mikeak

Reaction score
It was wrong

You have to initiate a tackle for it to be OPI
Getting in the way and "getting your feet set" is not OPI even if the defender runs into you

At least from how it was described last week on TV

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was stopped and merely standing there, it was not a moving pick.

It was one of many horrible calls made by that crew today. I don't think what Kearse did on that play was illegal.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The NFL hand book clearly states that this is opi unless you have deflated your footballs.

Threedee

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":16omkbb2 said:
"It had the elements of a pick play." - NFL officials tomorrow.

"What a bunch of morons."
-Kearse tomorrow (joined by countless others)

Tical21

Reaction score
Kearse was not running a route. His only objective on the play was to make contact with the defender. I'm grizzly because I want pick plays abolished, so I'm glad it was called.

HawkGA

Reaction score
You're reading the wrong rule book. You need to read the rule book that applies to the Seahawks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He needs to throw a little acting in there, reaching back like the ball is coming to him.

I think it was a weak call, but we know how the referees call games against the Seahawks, so players need to act Convincing.

RemEmber all the 15 yard penalties against Sydney Rice for spinning the ball like a top? I saw one by Leveon Bell in the end zone, in the middle of defenders, another in highlights, and at least one in the Redskins game. Such BS

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
He was at like 1.5 yards past the LOS. Should have put his hands up and looked Russell's way to sell the call.

No one's going to buy it when it looks like a pick play we see in the NBA. Come on Kearse, lol. :34853_doh:

HawkerD

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":262nck9z said:
He was at like 1.5 yards. Should have put his hands up and looked Russell's way to sell the call.

No one's going to buy it when it looks like a pick play we see in the NBA. Come on Kearse, lol. :34853_doh:
This. If he would have looked back to Wilson with his hands up then no call.

erik2690

Reaction score
Tical21":qfac9o4l said:
Kearse was not running a route. His only objective on the play was to make contact with the defender. I'm grizzly because I want pick plays abolished, so I'm glad it was called.

But that is true of most pick plays that aren't called. So are the refs just subjectively judging acting jobs at that point? He turned his body and didn't even really make contact so it's confusing to me.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
erik2690":30xg3lwd said:
Tical21":30xg3lwd said:

But that is true of most pick plays that aren't called. So are the refs just subjectively judging acting jobs at that point? He turned his body and didn't even really make contact so it's confusing to me.

To be fair, if no one even tries to act then Kearse is essentially out there setting a screen :lol:

Latest posts