Hawks play by play announcer is a real woman, cool…

sutz

Reaction score
Good call on Dennis Miller. Huge bust. As I recall, he lasted just one season. I think Al Michaels had to be instructed as to when to laugh at Miller's jokes.
Pretty sure it was less than a full season.

pmedic920

Reaction score
When Aaron Goldsmith started with the Mariners I hated his voice. But years later, I love him.

Ex-players can struggle sharing their knowledge of the game because talking through your decision making and making it worthwhile is a lot easier when it's unsaid. They see the game naturally, but being able to explain the game is a completely different skillset.

This thread is full of people who immediately dismiss a female play-by-play as if the timbre, pitch, and tone of the voice has some great impact. At the end of the day, it's the ability to fluently speak in descriptive and meaningful bits. So many different great voices and none of them sound alike. Everytime I listen to a Yankees broadcast I can't ******* stand Michael Kay, but he's adored in NY. When Angie was filling in for Blowers I really enjoyed her, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that I've listened to her talk Mariners for years.

Dismissing a female voice because you're not used to it is dumb. Football doesn't require a male voice, and if you need a man to describe to you what's happening in a game, you're a little boy.
Personally I don’t care if it’s a female voice or male, some voices just grate on a person’s nerves.
In that case I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to listen to that person during a football game that they want to enjoy.
I think in that case it’s a matter of tone/ sound and has nothing to do with the sex/gender of the voice.

Fran Drescher as the Nanny for instance, I hate/can’t stand the voice or laugh but it’s not because it’s female.
Gilbert Gottfried same thing, I would not listen to either voice calling a football game.

I completely understand why a person may not like a particular voice for football.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Personally I don’t care if it’s a female voice or male, some voices just grate on a person’s nerves.
In that case I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to listen to that person during a football game that they want to enjoy.
I think in that case it’s a matter of tone/ sound and has nothing to do with the sex/gender of the voice.

Fran Drescher as the Nanny for instance, I hate/can’t stand the voice or laugh but it’s not because it’s female.
Gilbert Gottfried same thing, I would not listen to either voice calling a football game.

I completely understand why a person may not like a particular voice for football.
Tony Romo is a very good analyst, but he has a voice that sounds to me like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I've gradually gotten used to female voices in almost every other venue. When women started entering the radio broadcasting field as disc jockeys back in the late 70's and 80's, it took me a number of years for me to get used to them. Now, I prefer them over men. Same goes with television news broadcasts.

But I'm still a male chauvinist pig when it comes to football.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Since we are talking about announcers here, anyone know this guy?

Attachments

• 9er.jpg
    9er.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 11

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I don’t care who the announcers are 3/4 of the time I am paying no attention to them. It’s common my wife is watching with me and I will say something concerning the game and 2-3 plays later the announcers will say the same thing, my wife will say “is there an echo in the room?”

My wife pays more attention the refs and announcers than the players I usually have no clue who they are. Her least favorite announcer is Troy Aikman and favorite ref was Ed Hoculi

olyfan63

Reaction score
Diversity hire. I'll give her a chance. It's preseason. Not even a game. Not even a real game. Preseason.

I don't think I'll enjoy listening to a shrill female voice, and, based on the limited basketball call samples I've heard, that's how she sounds to me. Now I do enjoy the professional announcer female voices that are often heard when listening to calls of mens and women's swimming, men's and women's tennis, and women's soccer. Don't follow WNBA so no idea re women's basketball.

IMO Female announcers do deserve a chance to develop a style that appeals to NFL fans and find the niches they can do well in, and preseason is a reasonable time to experiment. I could see a female play-by-play announcer being OK, as long as she has good color announcer support, e.g., from a male former player, to explain the nuances of the game and a particular play from a position of expert personal knowledge.

Just NFL, please don't spring a bunch of crappy shrill female announcers on NFL fans for the sake of "diversity". Only promote the ones that are actually "good" and receive top marks in their developmental announcer experience.

94Smith

Reaction score
Chicago Bear that is doing color commentary for the 49ers now. Tim Ryan. Pretty good swing in golf too. Really likeable human.
Tim Ryan is the biggest 49er homer around. I sometimes cringe at the home team bias in his colour commentary, but otherwise does a great job and has a good tone