Hakeem Nicks or Sidney Rice?

getnasty

Reaction score
ivotuk":397f2b21 said:
Kenny Britt. He was great with Hasselbeck. Had maturity issues but being a Seahawk could change that.
I'd take Nicks over Rice if the price was the same. I like the idea of Kenny Britt on the cheap, lot of upside there. Alexander was a beast at the end of the 2012 season too, he might worth a look too.

aawolf

Reaction score
I've been lurking on all these WR threads and I think most of you are looking at it wrong. There is absolutely no reason why we should be looking at the top WR in free agency or the first two rounds of the draft to get a WR--even if we have to cut Rice. Let me explain:

1. Our current WR corps: Harvin, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette: I believe that each of these WRs has the ability to contribute next year if healthy with Lockette seeing more playing time if we have to cut Baldwin or Tate (I'd prefer to cut Tate if we had to cut one of these). Ideally, we wouldn't have to cut any of them and we could look to the draft, 3rd round or later, to supplement these WRs if we need to. Also, don't forget the Tight End, Willson, and McCoy, who is a free agent, but can be supplemented in the draft. I'll explain.

2. The Draft. In my, and evidently, in JS's draft philosophy, receivers can be had in the later rounds of the draft. Big, tall, speedy, possession receivers are a dime a dozen. We don't necessarily need a big playmaker in the draft at WR as we already have Harvin, Baldwin, and Tate, who fit that description with their ability to run after the catch and return kicks if necessary. WR's can be had in the later rounds in any draft and are less valuable picks in the first two rounds, where other elusive big linemen (on O or D) and strong linebackers are harder to come by IMO. I am looking at two Wide Receivers that I think can make it to the third round, which I say we should take if we cut Rice. These two guys are: 1)Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman--6' 5'' WR that can stretch the defense, and 2) Clemson's "other" WR Martavis Bryant--6' 4'' WR who has great hands and can also stretch the defense.

3. The TE position. Much more a position of need IMO than WR right now since McCoy is a free agent. Two tight-end sets are run frequently in our offense and they can be every bit as valuable as a WR for the passing game. Fortunately, there are a plethora of greater than 6' 5'' TEs in this draft, which fit our needs perfectly. I say we take one of these big boys in round 2 or 3. 1) Jace Amaro TE , Texas Tech, 6-5, 260, 2) Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington, 6-6, 276; 3) Troy Niklas ,TE 4 Notre Dame, 6-6, 270; 3) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa, 6-6, 262; 4) Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia, 6-5, 258.

SeahawksEast

Reaction score
The vast majority of our spend should go into keeping the defense intact, first and foremost. All other considerations should be secondary. The Defense is beyond incredible (as we all know), and WR's I view as more "plug and play". The Hawks could find many a free agent WR in the late 20's early 30's range that would be glad to take a reasonable vet salary and play for a Superb Owl. I'd argue that as much as we love our guys, these free agent vet WR's could be an upgrade in route running, getting separation, etc.

JS needs to go all in on the D, and keep that group together.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've watched a ton of Hakeem Nicks play and the guy is an elite top 10 talent at his position when healthy. I probably lean Rice but would be excited to see what Pete and that team could do with Nicks. More upside with Nicks for sure but Rice is familiar with the team.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cotchery for $1million. Only need him in the redzone where we did struggle all year.

McGruff

Reaction score
I prefer Danario Alexander still over the rest of them. Injury prone. Can't be totally counted on. But when he's healthy he's what we need. 37 catches and 7 TD's last year in 10 games . . . with Alex Smith at QB.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Boldin fits well with what we do and would cripple the 9ers stealing him. If nothing else at least drive the price up on the 9ers.

aawolf

Reaction score
mikeak":29ounstz said:
Cotchery for $1million. Only need him in the redzone where we did struggle all year.

LOL. And we can bring back Koren Robinson too and have 5 Wolfpackers on the roster. Get it done, JS.

Soppie

Reaction score
McGruff":1hxbnba5 said:
I prefer Danario Alexander still over the rest of them. Injury prone. Can't be totally counted on. But when he's healthy he's what we need. 37 catches and 7 TD's last year in 10 games . . . with Alex Smith at QB.
He is in SD with Rivers throwing to him. He has a small sample size but looks really good when available. His name is the one that stands out the most to me from that list. I would love to see Seattle bring him in.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Soppie":22nzdlae said:
McGruff":22nzdlae said:
He is in SD with Rivers throwing to him. He has a small sample size but looks really good when available. His name is the one that stands out the most to me from that list. I would love to see Seattle bring him in.

Yeah, he's like Harvin but a lot worse. It's not the talent that's in question, it's the health. He's never finished a 16 game season (playing 8,10,10), that's 28 of a possible 48 games in his career. He may just need another chance, but two teams that took a shot on him have let him go due his injuries (even with his talent), so if we could get him on a 1-2 year prove it deal, I guess I wouldn't mind.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
RichNhansom":156rwqtp said:
Boldin fits well with what we do and would cripple the 9ers stealing him. If nothing else at least drive the price up on the 9ers.

You really think Boldin would play for the Seahawks lol this is on the level of the hatfield vs mcCoy blood feud going on between the hawks and 9ers I doubt any current 9ers will ever play for the seahawks.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Nicks? Seriously? That dude quit on the Giants last year, and his numbers are inflated by Eli's reckless slinging like all the Giants receivers who came before him. It'd be Houshmandzadeh all over again, except worse.

I'll take Rice on a restructured deal all day over him and twice on Sunday.

SeahawksEast

Reaction score
From the poster on the first page who listed the FA WR's, there is a lot of vet talent on there. Should be cheap (relatively) and easy to give RW some weapons.

I like Rice, but as others have said, his performance and durability issues do not warrant anywhere close to his current salary.

I still say all the money goes into keeping the young D intact. If you look at the cap link in one of the other postings on here, the Seahawks have a lot of money tied up in players on an above average offense. Much rather ensure our once a decade type defense stays together.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
falcongoggles":11d51gma said:
Looking forward to getting Anthony McCoy back. If he had been healthy this year he would have been our slowest, most explosive TE. Strange, but true.

He was very productive when healthy, and we can likely get him for a song. Superbowl ring notwithstanding.

GCrow

Reaction score
To answer the OP's question, definitely Rice.

As far as F.A. goes, I too wouldn't mind seeing the front office taking a small risk on Danario Alexander. He shouldn't command a very high price tag due to his injury history and unreliability, so if we can sign him for near the minimum could be a small risk possible high reward scenario.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Why In the world are people so obsessed with Sidney rice or any of these other bums, we have 3 wrs that have started that are signed to be on our roster next year. We are not a crap team anymore, great teams reload through the Draft not patch up holes with injury prone cast offs. Yes please please please sign an injury prone vet for a couple mill while we are demanding millers head to get cut for a couple mill in savings lol. That's accounting for the extra money a new te would cost. Makes no sense.

mikeak

Reaction score
aawolf":1288lctw said:
mikeak":1288lctw said:

LOL. And we can bring back Koren Robinson too and have 5 Wolfpackers on the roster. Get it done, JS.

I am partial to our alumni BUT go and look at Cotchery's numbers last year. On a bad team with no production early lots of TD catches late.

My Koren Robinson jersey is hanging in the basement and stays there :)