Greg Olsen Signed to 1 Year Deal

King Dog

Reaction score
Hawknight":1ll0405h said:
Wilson wanted some star power, or at least that's what was reported. Sometimes, what you wish for isn't always exactly the answer. I like Owen alot, I think he'll be more beneficial in the locker room if anything. Dissly and Owens with a touch of Hollister, gives us something to look forward to if everyone can hold up health wise.

Owens is one heck of a TE!

Tired of watching him burn us over the years. Will be fun watching him in a Hawks uniform.

Nunya

Reaction score
This is a 1-year/$7 million insurance policy so that a TE does not need to be an absolute must early in the draft.

Currently, there are only 5 TE's on the roster:

Dickson - Did not play last season. Had a hard return from his injury. Good chance of being released.

Dissley - Two very significant injuries in 2 seasons. Mentally difficult to recover from. Players have retired for less.

Hollister - Free agent. The Olsen signing will give the Front Office some leverage in negotiations with Hollister. Potential that they do not reach a contract and he is with another team next season.

Willson - Free agent. Same situation as Hollister.

Swoopes - Has a whole total of 2 NFL catches. Work in progress.

At least with this signing, they know they will not be without an experienced TE. As it stands they need to sign at least 2 more TEs or hope they get at least 3 of the 5 current TEs back.

getnasty

Reaction score
Really a fairly productive season last year when you consider who was throwing hin the ball.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I like the signing.They needed a stop gap until they know the direction they want to take with Diss. If they went young now they'd have to commit term and if Will comes back and is able to stay healthy they're stuck going forward. Russ gets somebody he's been advocating for who has been a reliable outlet over his career and a guy who should be a really nice red zone target, this has the makings of a really good upside signing if he can stay on the field. Lots of upside, limited downside, worth the risk.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Hawknight":28ivauox said:
Wilson wanted some star power, or at least that's what was reported. Sometimes, what you wish for isn't always exactly the answer. I like Owen alot, I think he'll be more beneficial in the locker room if anything. Dissly and Owens with a touch of Hollister, gives us something to look forward to if everyone can hold up health wise.

Lol long day at work...i meant Olsen

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I like this move. Doesn’t cost us a comp pick.

These older injury prone TEs are making significant $$
Jordan Reed (29) $9.3m
Delanie Waller (35) $8.5m
Vernon Davis (36) $5m

I also think we will see The FA TE market top $10mil for Hooper and Henry. Its $5.5 mil guaranteed so would Hooper or Henry really be $5mil better? I think it is a smart move and will be very good for Wilson.

kf3339

Reaction score
Wenhawk":332q15yl said:
I like this move. Doesn’t cost us a comp pick.

These older injury prone TEs are making significant $$
Jordan Reed (29) $9.3m
Delanie Waller (35) $8.5m
Vernon Davis (36) $5m

I also think we will see The FA TE market top $10mil for Hooper and Henry. Its $5.5 mil guaranteed so would Hooper or Henry really be $5mil better? I think it is a smart move and will be very good for Wilson.

^This,

A little higher than I hoped for price wise, but a good signing.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He has been a terrific TE but I don’t expect him to last long in Seattle. Pete’s “always compete “ and power run philosophy beat the heck out of players in practice and games. It takes a huge toll on the TE position especially and a senior veteran player like Olsen isn’t going to last with that pounding.

xray

Reaction score
It appears that the Hawks don't expect Dissley to be the go to TE next season . His injuries are career killers for many players .

getnasty

Reaction score
xray":2b29vox7 said:
It appears that the Hawks don't expect Dissley to be the go to TE next season . His injuries are career killers for many players .

Do you have a link or just speculating?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
This is a reasonable move that gives us options. Between Olson and Dissley, we should get at least one-half a season of very good TE play, maybe more. Hollister is capable but doesn't have quite the same skill set. But he and Luke can step in and finish the 2nd half of the season. If Dissley does not come back 100% this year, look to 2021 to draft a TE with a 3rd round pick. We're set for now.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
getnasty":18icpk82 said:
xray":18icpk82 said:

I think the "appears" in there signals he's speculating (?), but agreed with xray's point.

Who knows, but I don't think you give a guy that kind of money (13th in money for TEs next year) if you're not planning on starting him and playing him.

They're in 11 personnel so much that if he's healthy Dissley will get a lot of run, but they're paying Olsen like they expect him to be their TE1 next year.

sutz

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3stnvhlm said:
getnasty":3stnvhlm said:
xray":3stnvhlm said:

I think the "appears" in there signals he's speculating (?), but agreed with xray's point.

Who knows, but I don't think you give a guy that kind of money (13th in money for TEs next year) if you're not planning on starting him and playing him.

They're in 11 personnel so much that if he's healthy Dissley will get a lot of run, but they're paying Olsen like they expect him to be their TE1 next year.
Mostly, I think it says that Dissly will probably start the year on PUP and won't be available til mid-season.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Nunya":1wl89lle said:
Hollister - Free agent. The Olsen signing will give the Front Office some leverage in negotiations with Hollister. Potential that they do not reach a contract and he is with another team next season.

Hollister is restricted so the negotiations are pretty simple.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Whatever their thinking is it's a done deal now. So we either troll the move or embrace it and hope for the best. But with a 53 man limit to the roster I don't see how we allocate 4-5 spots to TE.

Sherm had the same injury as Diss and Sherm came back to be his old self. I had the same injury, and came back without surgery, but it still bothers me on occasion. Achilles are tough to predict. All I know for sure is it's really scary to see your foot dangling at the end of your leg like a bird feeder on a wire.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's 5.5, not 7. Only 7 if he gets his incentives. As a Hawks fan, I would like to think we are all hoping he makes that 7 mil.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
While Hollister is a RFA he was an underrated player so will need to be given a 2nd round tender or better to avoid being signed elsewhere. He will be a target of interest fro other teams given he performance last season, so there is a risk he could be lost.

The Olsen signing is to me a bit more expensive than I thought but that seems to be the way of the world in the NFL these days. If Olsen can sty healthy for the season it will be a good signing, given the market otherwise.