Greetings Mr Goodell

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hey Rog! Welcome! This is an awesome place for football-loving regular Joes like us.

Now if you ever need to talk, vent, or cry on a shoulder, you know where to find me. I totally understand the pressure and scrutiny you face on a daily basis. And while you have a hard job, look on the bright side: at least you don't have to compete against the teams in your league.

As a longtime commissioner of fantasy football leagues I have to enforce league rules, levy fines, create favorable schedules for east coast teams AND try to kick virtual ass on the virtual football field. But even though my job is more demanding, please don't be intimidated. Pop in now and then to share how your job is going. And don't be shy about asking advice. When it comes to high-stakes commissioning... been there done that, good buddy! :th2thumbs:

Happy

Reaction score
Roger,

Welcome to .net and thanks for the kudos. It's nice to get validation of what a great community we have here. Our membership should take pride in how they represent the 12s online being recognized.

P.S. seriously rog, the schedulng bias towards eastern time zone teams sucks. Could you please check into that for us and see what you can do?

Thanks and best wishes,

-s

firebee

Reaction score
Also... some advice... Need to restructure the league... Salt Lake City and Toronto are prime targets for an NFL team. Jacksonville's market has been chewed up by Tampa, Miami and Atlanta, but the entire Salt Lake Basin is a scattered group of fans that would rally behind a team in that region, which would probably include a ton of support from Boise and Western Montana. Not to be theocratic, but a Salt Lake City team would also land the Mormon Church. Salt Lake City could sustain a fanbase for an NFL team that doesn't negatively effect other team's markets, unlike Jacksonville trying to move in on the Tampa and Miami fanbases that were already established. I also hear Jaguars have been found in Southern Utah from time to time.

Buffalo needs to move to Toronto. Time to get an NFL team in Canada and capture a large part of the Canadian market the NFL hasn't been able to land. Toronto's close enough to Buffalo that Buffalo fans would still make the trip to see a Bills game because Buffalo and Toronto are really close together. You don't lose too much of the Buffalo fanbase and you gain a huge fanbase in Eastern Canada. Any of the remaining Bills fanbase lost in the move would be absorbed by the Steelers and Browns. The Western Canada fanbase will still belong to the Southwestern Canadian Team, the Seattle Seahawks, and the Central Canadian fanbase will still belong to the Packers.

Is it me or does this just seem too logical for the NFL to do? Get it done and forget about L.A. That fanbase is already shelling out a crapload of money for the Chargers, Niners and Raiders. No need to go screw that up with a new team.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
firebee":321fvsg1 said:
...the entire Salt Lake Basin is a scattered group of fans that would rally behind a team in that region, which would probably include a ton of support from Boise and Western Montana.

You do realize that much absentee support in that region goes to the Seahawks, right?

firebee

Reaction score
Along with Denver, Oakland, Phoenix and San Francisco. We have a good number of fans in that region, but we in no way dominate that market. No team dominates that market because it's a largely untapped market by the NFL. The only football teams that really have that market are college football teams because it's a scattered split market with little fervor for the NFL. If Salt Lake City was a place where one or two of the NFL teams captured a predominant part of the market and generated a substantial amount of revenue for one of two of those teams, it would be a different story. Reality is.. It's a big college football market with a thin fanbase dedicated to 4 NFL teams when it could be a region that generates a much more avid fanbase for the team that's placed there along, which generates much more revenue than the thinned out and split up fanbase currently occupying that region.

Also... The only way to end East Coast Bias is by shifting the NFL's market West.

nanomoz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1emj4r9f said:
firebee":1emj4r9f said:
...the entire Salt Lake Basin is a scattered group of fans that would rally behind a team in that region, which would probably include a ton of support from Boise and Western Montana.

You do realize that much absentee support in that region goes to the Seahawks, right?

I've met maybe 20 Seahawk fans in Utah. I'm sure there are many more in Montana and Idaho. Utah is a fair weather state in terms of fandom. Lots of Steeler fans, Niner fans, and Cowboy fans. After the Saints won it all, people were sporting Brees jerseys all over--and I'm not sure I'd ever seen saints paraphernalia prior to that around here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28zj1al2 said:
firebee":28zj1al2 said:

Give him a break he forgot to use the sarcasm smiley, I almost think RH should have invented/put a sarcasm icon on this entire thread. :stirthepot:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Welcome Commissioner Goodell!

Honestly, I love your work and think you're doing an amazing job and further enhancing the league on earth! Don't by shy now

PS we would love some more SNF later in the season! :D

Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait...what if "prelag" was Mr. Goodell???...mind.blown.

Just kidding! Thanks for stopping by commish!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Greetings Mr. Goodell,

I think it's great that you (and/or those connected with the Commissioner's Office) care enough to visit forums like these to see what fans of NFL Teams think from time to time. On the off chance that you actually do visit this thread and read some of these comments, I'm going to share some overall thoughts on an issue that has gotten a lot of press and attention in recent years. I know the league office has made it a point to try to reduce some of the violent collisions that we see in the NFL. As such, new rules have continued to be put in place year after year with the idea of cutting down on serious injuries to players. And certainly many of us fans understand the reasons for that in light of cases of like Junior Seau. As a former mental health therapist, I have studied the effects of repeated blows to the head over time and the long term neurological damage that can occur at length. Certainly player safety should be a real focus for you and league officials ... because in a great many cases, players need to be protected from themselves. I know that rule changes such as have been implemented and new, better equipment can help reduce some of the long term injuries that we see for players later in life.

That said, I do have a lot of concerns about the level of legislation and where this is all heading and the consequences that these new rules are going to have on the overall product long term. I grew up and became a fan of the NFL beginning in the late 1970's. As a youngster, part of the attraction of the NFL for me (and I know a lot of fans) was in watching big bone jarring hits. Guys like Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott, Lawrence Taylor, and Kenny Easley is a real part of what helped make me a fan of the NFL in the first place ... and I know that's true for a lot of other fans of the NFL as well. That's part of the attraction of the game. Case in point -- this past year Kam Chancellor had an absolute text book hit on Vernon Davis of the 49ers. You can't teach tackling any better at any level (pee-Wee, high school, college, etc.) ... and it was called a penalty. Most Seahawks fans like myself went immediately from elation to enraged bewilderment. Penalties like this one for hard nosed play ... that are being made all throughout the NFL ... should be of concern for all frankly. There's player safety ... and then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There is an African parable that I believe illustrates the issues related to football perfectly. A frog who is about to cross a river is approached by a scorpion who asks for a ride across on his back. The frog protests at first, telling the scorpion that he would sting the frog and that he would die. The scorpion assures the frog that he wouldn't do that, so reluctantly the frog agrees to carry him across the river. About halfway during the swim however, the scorpion stung the frog. As the poison slowly filled his veins, the frog in a state of shock and utter disbelief asked the scorpion, "Why did you do that? Now you'll die too." The scorpion replied, "I couldn't help myself. It's my nature. You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Back in 1990, I attended a conference in which Steve Largent was the keynote speaker. He said something during the question and answer period that I never forgot. Largent was asked whether or not he had talked to his boys about football and whether or not he was going to allow them to play. Largent said he'd had very frank conversations with them about the sport of football, telling them in essence, "It's not IF you get hurt ... it's when. If you play football, you WILL get hurt." I read a very interesting article from the Seattle Times several years ago (that I'm planning to share with my boys someday) entitled, "Life After Football: No Game, Still Pain". The piece details the post careers of former NFL players Curt Marsh, Norm Evans, Reggie McKenzie, Ed Cunningham, Bill Curry, Bob Newton, Grant Feasel, and others. All of those guys have dealt with unbelievable injuries, have had multiple surgeries, and live with chronic pain and disability related to their careers as NFL players. And to a man ALL of them say that if they knew then what they know now ... they would probably do it all over again. NFL players all know on some level that they could (and probably will) eventually pay the price for playing this sport. The scorpion will sting eventually because violent play (and subsequently injury) are the nature of the game. Everyone who dons a helmet accepts that stark reality.

By all means Mr. Goodell, do what you can reasonably do to help minimize long term crippling injuries without damaging the integrity of the game. But understand this: Football by its very nature is a violent sport -- period. You cannot legislate out hard nosed play and violent hits because if you do ... you will not only destroy the essence of the game itself ... you will kill the incredibly profitable Golden Goose that is the most popular sport in America.

I don't envy your job whatsoever Mr. Commissioner, as I know that you have extremely passionate people on both sides of this debate. I can only hope that you are surrounded by good advisors who are well acquainted with the issues at hand and will help you in making the best decisions possible that will be most beneficial for all involved. If you have read this, thank you for taking the time to listen to one fan's views and concerns.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Welcome, Mr. Goodell. As I'm sure you've realized, the Internet + anonymity brings out the worst in a lot of people. I'd avoid the Smack Shack (only visible if you're logged in) and the PWR forums, and take everything you read about yourself here, particularly in the NFL Nation forum, with a large grain of salt. Plenty of our members have a serious hate-on for you; don't take it personally. Many people also don't realize that a large part of what you do is simply represent the owners.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":86ljus2q said:
Greetings Mr. Goodell,

I think it's great that you (and/or those connected with the Commissioner's Office) care enough to visit forums like these to see what fans of NFL Teams think from time to time. On the off chance that you actually do visit this thread and read some of these comments, I'm going to share some overall thoughts on an issue that has gotten a lot of press and attention in recent years. I know the league office has made it a point to try to reduce some of the violent collisions that we see in the NFL. As such, new rules have continued to be put in place year after year with the idea of cutting down on serious injuries to players. And certainly many of us fans understand the reasons for that in light of cases of like Junior Seau. As a former mental health therapist, I have studied the effects of repeated blows to the head over time and the long term neurological damage that can occur at length. Certainly player safety should be a real focus for you and league officials ... because in a great many cases, players need to be protected from themselves. I know that rule changes such as have been implemented and new, better equipment can help reduce some of the long term injuries that we see for players later in life.

That said, I do have a lot of concerns about the level of legislation and where this is all heading and the consequences that these new rules are going to have on the overall product long term. I grew up and became a fan of the NFL beginning in the late 1970's. As a youngster, part of the attraction of the NFL for me (and I know a lot of fans) was in watching big bone jarring hits. Guys like Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott, Lawrence Taylor, and Kenny Easley is a real part of what helped make me a fan of the NFL in the first place ... and I know that's true for a lot of other fans of the NFL as well. That's part of the attraction of the game. Case in point -- this past year Kam Chancellor had an absolute text book hit on Vernon Davis of the 49ers. You can't teach tackling any better at any level (pee-Wee, high school, college, etc.) ... and it was called a penalty. Most Seahawks fans like myself went immediately from elation to enraged bewilderment. Penalties like this one for hard nosed play ... that are being made all throughout the NFL ... should be of concern for all frankly. There's player safety ... and then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There is an African parable that I believe illustrates the issues related to football perfectly. A frog who is about to cross a river is approached by a scorpion who asks for a ride across on his back. The frog protests at first, telling the scorpion that he would sting the frog and that he would die. The scorpion assures the frog that he wouldn't do that, so reluctantly the frog agrees to carry him across the river. About halfway during the swim however, the scorpion stung the frog. As the poison slowly filled his veins, the frog in a state of shock and utter disbelief asked the scorpion, "Why did you do that? Now you'll die too." The scorpion replied, "I couldn't help myself. It's my nature."

Back in 1990, I attended a conference in which Steve Largent was the keynote speaker. He said something during the question and answer period that I never forgot. Largent was asked whether or not he had talked to his boys about football and whether or not he was going to allow them to play. Largent said he'd had very frank conversations with them about the sport of football, telling them in essence, "It's not IF you get hurt ... it's when. If you play football, you WILL get hurt." I read a very interesting article from the Seattle Times several years ago (that I'm planning to share with my boys someday) entitled, "Life After Football: No Game, Still Pain". The piece details the post careers of former NFL players Curt Marsh, Norm Evans, Reggie McKenzie, Ed Cunningham, Bill Curry, Bob Newton, Grant Feasel, and others. All of those guys have dealt with unbelievable injuries, have had multiple surgeries, and live with chronic pain and disability related to their careers as NFL players. And to a man ALL of them say that if they knew then what they know now ... they would probably do it all over again. NFL players all know on some level that they could (and probably will) eventually pay the price for playing this sport. The scorpion will sting eventually because violent play (and subsequently injury) are the nature of the game. Everyone who dons a helmet accepts that stark reality.

By all means Mr. Goodell, do what you can reasonably do to help minimize long term crippling injuries without damaging the integrity of the game. But understand this: Football by its very nature is a violent sport -- period. You cannot legislate out hard nosed play and violent hits because if you do ... you will not only destroy the essence of the game itself ... you will kill the incredibly profitable Golden Goose that is the most popular sport in America.

I don't envy your job whatsoever Mr. Commissioner, as I know that you have extremely passionate people on both sides of this debate. I can only hope that you are surrounded by good advisors who are well acquainted with the issues at hand and will help you in making the best decisions possible that will be most beneficial for all involved. If you have read this, thank you for taking the time to listen to one fan's views and concerns.
This is a very well-written post. I would only add that I feel it's equally important to ensure health care for players both during and after their careers.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Welcome RG1. At least don't schedule 10 am games in playoff games. Had we started the Atlanta game 2 hours later, the players would have been awake the first half too.

hawker84

Reaction score
Mr. Goodell,

Greetings and Welcome... Please, please do something about Coach Jim Harbaugh, his sideline hissyfits are embarrassing the entire division... Can someone from your office please just give him back his ball so he can go home..

Thank you, that is all..

NYCoug

Reaction score
Mr. Goodell,

Is the only reason why there isn't going to be a Super Bowl in Seattle in the near future the fact that you know it would likely ensure a Super Bowl victory for the Seahawks that year?

The rest, I'll save for the shack.

Appreciate the visit though, thanks for the effort. You're welcome back any time.

AVL

Reaction score
Dear Rog,

We think all of our regularly scheduled Sunday away games should be played at 1 pm PACIFIC time. Screw home field season ticket holders or the concept of home field advantage.

A

Anonymous

hawker84":120hbgkq said:
Mr. Goodell,

Greetings and Welcome... Please, please do something about Coach Jim Harbaugh, his sideline hissyfits are embarrassing the entire division... Can someone from your office please just give him back his ball so he can go home..

Thank you, that is all..

I'm HH82, and I approve this message.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Mr. Goodell has taken his job more seriously than anyone in any profession that I personally know. Granted, I don't know anyone with that kind of high-profile job and that amount of responsibility but I think he's done an outstanding job. He loves his job and his ultimate goal is to improve the game and the league, which he has done. Agree or disagree with his policies and the changes he's brought to the game, I don't care, but you have to respect the man.