Great article on Russell Wilson....Greatest young QB ever?

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Also follow him on twitter. National guy but always has great stuff on the Seahawks.

HansGruber

Reaction score
HawkWow":3ohpslah said:
Mt heart says Wilson. Head says Marino.

Those of us who were around to watch the playoffs in 1983, when we whooped the living crap out of Marino in his own house...... well, might not get much agreement from that crowd.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think a decent argument can be made for Marino as well. Safe to say that almost everyone would agree he's in the top 3.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
Yea Marino. For the era in which he played, he was amazing. It really says something when it took damn near 30 years and a ton of rule changes before people starting putting up Marino numbers.

aawolf

Reaction score
Yet again, this just proves that Wilson doesn't get the respect he deserves. Dan Marino may be the best young QB ever, but if Wilson is second best EVER, then that's still waaayyyy better than anyone playing right now. He's the best young QB playing right now and he doesn't get the respect.

Also, the article doesn't mention that he played without three starters on his offensive line half of this year and his top two receivers (Rice and Harvin) for most of this year. He'll be better next year if those groups stay healthy.

Next year, if he wins his second Super Bowl, I hope he finally gets his due. And, to tailspin into the discussion of another thread, he'll get paid whether you like it or not.

JimZornsCorn

Reaction score
My votes for best young QB (first two years) since I've been following the NFL:

1. Dan Marino
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Russell Wilson
4. Tom Brady
5. Matt Ryan

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I can't see putting BigBen ahead of Wilson based on stats, situation, injuries around him etc. but its subjective. Regardless our future looks pretty bright.

JimZornsCorn

Reaction score
austinslater25":36fazqfx said:
I can't see putting BigBen ahead of Wilson based on stats, situation, injuries around him etc. but its subjective. Regardless our future looks pretty bright.

It's very close, but Ben got the Steelers to the AFCCG with a 14-0 record the first season and to a SB championship the 2nd. To be honest it could be Russ #2, Ben #3. And yes, the future is bright AND the future is now!

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Don't listen to anything he's said...he's a Steelers fan posing as a Hawk fan

HawkWow

Reaction score
HansGruber":381x7ux3 said:
HawkWow":381x7ux3 said:

Those of us who were around to watch the playoffs in 1983, when we whooped the living crap out of Marino in his own house...... well, might not get much agreement from that crowd.

I suppose the difference between myself and your crowd (?) back in 1983, is I was actually a fan of the sport, not just the Hawks. I saw more than the 1 Marino game you chose to base his career on. Wilson is extraordinary, but better than Marino? Stop it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow, interesting article.

But we all knew we had a special one when we first watched him on the field.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Throwdown":3sbwa8zg said:
Ha Marino is the best young QB ever, but he ain't got that ring tho!!!

True Dat. Marino would trade all those TDs and miles tomorrow for that ring. I hated the Dolphins, Clayton and Duper in particular, but Marino was incredible.

LOL...Just thinking about those two.. "M&M", I recall Easley calling them "Piss ants". ; )

HansGruber

Reaction score
HawkWow":nz86h9qi said:
HansGruber":nz86h9qi said:
HawkWow":nz86h9qi said:

I suppose the difference between myself and your crowd (?) back in 1983, is I was actually a fan of the sport, not just the Hawks. I saw more than the 1 Marino game you chose to base his career on. Wilson is extraordinary, but better than Marino? Stop it.

That has to be one of the dumbest insults someone has thrown at me on here. Kid, I actually attended the playoff game in Miami and watched Marino throw those picks and get destroyed by the Hawks secondary IN PERSON. Don't sit here and try to play the "I'm a better football fan than you" nonsense. It's insulting and adds no value or legitimacy to your argument.

If you are a "fan of the sport", you'd know the sheer frustration of Miami fans watching Marino throw for a billion yards in the regular season and then just fall apart in the postseason, every single year, including his only Superbowl. Yes, Marino had an amazing rookie season and first few seasons, he threw for more yards than anyone ever had by a mile. And then he got absolutely destroyed by the Seahawks defense. Marino was the biggest tease in the history of the NFL and left that Miami fanbase feeling like the guy who finally got a date with Dolly Parton only to find out "she" was actually a man.

I'm also familiar with how worthless "passing yards" are as a general statistic. Peyton should have just proven that to you. The 2007 Patriots should have proven that to you. The Greatest Show on Turf should have proven that, the Boomer Bengals of the 80's, the list goes on.

The simple fact is that Russell Wilson has thrown more TDs, won more games, and won more championships in his first two seasons than Marino or Roethlisberger did. Wilson is a winner.

Any argument you make to the contrary is an emotional one. Nostalgia. You choose to remember a Marino of mythological status, conquering all foes, throwing 80-yard lasers into the end zone. I remember the Marino that had my father cussing every week about his inability to win games and cover spreads. I remember the Marino that the entire AFC laughed at because he never could get his team to the final dance, and you can't blame that all on his team - they had a great defense and a solid WR corps and decent RBs. Every "true" fan of the sport who was alive and watching back then knows that.

And if you want to see dominant, go back and watch that 83 playoff. You'll see Krieg, as a rookie, throwing a bomb downfield to Largent to ice that game in the final minutes. One of the better playoff victories in Seattle history. And ya know how we got the ball before that winning drive? Marino pulled a Manning.

Latest posts