Gonzaga BB - 2018-19

Crizilla

Reaction score
Zags let St Mary's win. 47 points? Zags are the highest scoring team in the country. C'mon. It's actually a good move. Helps out the WCC having another team in the tourney. Gonzaga and St Mary's are both private catholic schools too....so probably good friends.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think the only takeaway is when Norvell has more fouls than points they lose. Wow he was awful.

It wouldn't be a rivalry if St. Mary's didn't win once in a while.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I don't think the Zags let SMC win. There is no way they would do that. They came out and played by far their worst game of the year and credit to SMC for controlling the pace of that game from start to finish. They are a good team ranked 34 in NET right now so its not like the Zags lost to a terrible team.
That said, the zags should have never lost. For whatever reason they were turning it over and not hitting their shots all night long.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Anyone who actually think the Zags let SMC win has no idea about sports. Sorry but that just isn't plausible. Ask that question to Few and a press conference and he'd laugh at you. Zags just played awful, no different than when the Huskies lost to Cal a few weeks ago.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":blakq9a0 said:
Anyone who actually think the Zags let SMC win has no idea about sports. Sorry but that just isn't plausible. Ask that question to Few and a press conference and he'd laugh at you. Zags just played awful, no different than when the Huskies lost to Cal a few weeks ago.
There is one big difference. Saint Mary's is a good team and Cal is awful. While GU played terrible SMC was a good defensive team all year long and deserves some credit for figuring out how to control the game from start to finish the third time they played GU.
The poor shooting and silly turnovers were on the Zags though. I think they were trying to force things too much

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags open up as 26.5 point favorites without the opponent even known yet. Seems like a lot but I bet they throttle whomever they play.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags should handle Baylor. They over achieved all season. Got to give Scott Drew a ton of credit, team was picked to finish near last in the Big12, and they were down as many as three starters for a lot of the season. Zags will be too much.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
5 straight years for the Zags in the sweet sixteen. That is just incredible. Tough tough match up ahead. FSU is a team that is capable of beating anyone in the country with their height and athleticism and deep bench.
Zags have to play tough D and rebound well. Norvel has to stop turning the ball over and jacking up threes that aren't even close.
This Zag team is capable of playing much better than they have so far this tournament. Norvel and Rui have both played poorly but I think Rui turns it around against FSU and I hope Norvel does.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Oh and Clarke is a much better player than Rui. Rui's defense is Charmin soft.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Rui must have been sick or something. He only played 23 minutes, fouls weren't really a big problem.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":335o0nzf said:
Rui must have been sick or something. He only played 23 minutes, fouls weren't really a big problem.
Wasn't sick just ineffectual. Few said he got pushed around a little bit and lost confidence.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think BC ends up being selected before Rui myself. Rui has a lot of holes defensively still and has some growing to do offensively.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I still think Rui will a better pro. Clarke needs to space to work his magic and I don't think he'll find much at the next level.