Gonzaga BB - 2018-19

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":fvbofubf said:
I still think Rui will a better pro. Clarke needs to space to work his magic and I don't think he'll find much at the next level.
I think he has the potential to be but right now Clarke is a better all around player as his defense is light years better.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Great first half. Lead could easily be 15+ if a few more shots fall. Perk's theft at the end there was a thing of beauty.

Really good defense by both sides.

getnasty

Reaction score
Just throwing away opportunities to put the game away. They better makes some free throws

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah missing the front end of the one and one really hurt Gonzaga.

Zags are a really solid team, but they don't jump out to me. Still think they need to play through Norvell more. I think he is their best guy to go to late in games.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":20kja61w said:
Yeah missing the front end of the one and one really hurt Gonzaga.

Zags are a really solid team, but they don't jump out to me. Still think they need to play through Norvell more. I think he is their best guy to go to late in games.

I think they need to let Norvell create more too, offense was super stagnant in the 2nd half.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Zags had to play with their bigs to match the size of FSU. That game really came down to 3 point shooting and zags won it.

Crizilla

Reaction score
All I can say is the Zags bigs played fine but Norvell couldn't hit anything. He might be a bust. Perkins dumb foul at the end was pure cringe.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah ... disappointing especially considering next year is going to be a total wildcard. Lots of young bigs coming in who should be good but almost no guards as of now. Maybe play 5 forwards and see what happens.

Agreed about Norvell ... when he starts chucking bricks he really brings the whole team down ...although I thought his defense really improved this season.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If Bennett wins the championship, a lot of pressure will be on Few. Gonzaga has been an established program for a while now and they need to win a championship soon. I think it will happen at some point, but pressure will build if it takes a lot of time.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I really don't see where the pressure is coming from --- it's not like Few would ever be fired or the area would stop watching. Few himself has tempered expectations every year even with his best teams. To win it all requires not just great talent but a bit of luck. Look at Virginia -- that game could have gone either way if, noting to do with the coach or the players.

Not sure if you live in the Spokane area or not, but the love affair with the Zags will keep going on as long as the current culture stays in place, regardless of Final 4 victories.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If by pressure you mean Few on the hot seat then you are incorrect. If you mean expectation levels have gotten higher in the last few years then yeah. Honestly, I thought this was the year we would break through.
The talent was there but we lacked a tough minded point guard that could create off the dribble. Perkins could pass but his handle was loose and he wasn't a blow by guy.
Next year is going to be a major step back. There will be talent but few have played together and almost everyone will be very young. I would be very happy if we were to make the sweet sixteen and thats probably expecting a bit much.
If they don't pick up a good transfer at point guard they might be in big trouble.
Ravet is a good player but I would have to think its a pretty big stretch for him to jump from state B to starting PG at GU. Offensively I think he could handle it but defensively he would be a massive liability.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Agreed --

Really hope Ravet can redshirt but with the current backcourt he may be starting.

They will still win the WCC just by dominating up front but if they don't fix the guard situation it will be a brief March.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yeah plus the ACC gets way better recruits. Few couldn't care less what Bennett is doing. Few is busy competing for Final Fours every year even with all the pro-ACC lobbying and media attention, and Bennett is trying to live up to expectations.

If anyone is going crazy about Bennett right now it's WSU for letting Bennett go. I don't remember what happened but the Cougs should have wrote him a blank check.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I just meant pressure from the national media. Obviously Few isn't on the hot seat, he will be the coach there until he retires or decides to go elsewhere (I do not see him leaving Spokane). But like any sport, when you haven't won a championship and you are a contender most every year, pressure builds. Few could care less.

Sounds like next season could be a step back for Gonzaga. Zags were great this season but think they've had more talented teams. Didn't understand people that said this was their best team.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would call it a failure, but I'm sure a lot of Gonzaga fans are disappointed. When your program is as great as Gonzaga, expectations are really high.

They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next season. Not sure they will be quite as strong, but should still be a top 25 team.

Crizilla

Reaction score
nah it was definitely a FF or bust year for the zags. Norvell just happened to go 3-11 against TTU. They beat Duke full strength....which IMO is like a mini-title. Duke was SO hyped coming into the season. Best freshman class in a long time.