Golden State Warriors

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pretty surprised they actually suspended him, but it was warranted based on the points system.

That said, don't think it matters. Series ends tonight IMO.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
GSW should finish them off tonight, even without Green. I really feel for Cleveland, can't imagine what it would be like to be a sports fan from that city.

If the Cavs want to get serious about winning a championship, they need to re-think their approach to winning. And if they are smart, they should center it around playing the Warriors. First off, get an actual coach. Lue is probably a bottom 3 coach in the NBA. I'm not trying to be mean, but he is in over his head. Second of all, they need to figure out the frontcourt. I think they are best off with James at the PF. When James won his championships with Miami, he played the PF and Bosh played Center. I feel bad for Love because he gets a lot of unwarranted hate. But I think he just doesn't quite fit the team, mainly from a defensive standpoint. At this point, I think most people agree they would have been better off keeping Wiggins. Could you imagine a starting lineup of Kyrie, JR, Wiggins, LeBron and Thompson? That team would matchup so well with GS. They should move either Love or Thompson and sign another wing who can help out LeBron and Kyrie. Because there is no way they are going to beat the Warriors in the future with Love and Thompson on the court.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2huqnprr said:
Could you imagine a starting lineup of Kyrie, JR, Wiggins, LeBron and Thompson? That team would matchup so well with GS. They should move either Love or Thompson and sign another wing who can help out LeBron and Kyrie. Because there is no way they are going to beat the Warriors in the future with Love and Thompson on the court.

Agree that they need to move Love, but disagree Wiggins would change this series much. I think Wiggins would have had a harder time developing on a team with LeBron James. LeBron, to all his credit in his career, has never worked with rookies. Kyrie really is the youngest star he's ever played with, and there is still a pretty big disconnect between the two guys at times with the way Kyrie likes to go into ISO/Hero mode.

The Warriors are just historically great. I think they would have thumped the 2013 Heat too. They're just better.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2vurg94s said:
Hawk-Lock":2vurg94s said:
Could you imagine a starting lineup of Kyrie, JR, Wiggins, LeBron and Thompson? That team would matchup so well with GS. They should move either Love or Thompson and sign another wing who can help out LeBron and Kyrie. Because there is no way they are going to beat the Warriors in the future with Love and Thompson on the court.

Agree that they need to move Love, but disagree Wiggins would change this series much. I think Wiggins would have had a harder time developing on a team with LeBron James. LeBron, to all his credit in his career, has never worked with rookies. Kyrie really is the youngest star he's ever played with, and there is still a pretty big disconnect between the two guys at times with the way Kyrie likes to go into ISO/Hero mode.

The Warriors are just historically great. I think they would have thumped the 2013 Heat too. They're just better.

Yeah it's hard to say how Wiggins would have progressed if he was on the Cavs. Championshp caliber teams never have much patience for a rookie, regardless of how good they are.

I think the Warriors have built the blueprint for how to win. Obviously Steph and Klay are a big part of it, but the key is the mobile stretch 4, someone like Draymond. Put LeBron at the PF, and find someone who can play the SF. And yeah, jury is still out on if Kyrie and LeBron can play together. Lets be honest, Kyrie is basically a SG, but is forced to play the point because of his lack of height and body size.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That first half was pure action! Klay going off. And where was this LeBron all series?

knownone

Reaction score
Lebron is working so hard, he's not gonna be able to sustain this pace, and without him Cleveland is done. If Cleveland can't get their role players or going, or Irving goes off and dominates the 3rd... it's over. Golden State repeat.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
knownone":2u3wz1gf said:
Lebron is working so hard, he's not gonna be able to sustain this pace, and without him Cleveland is done. If Cleveland can't get their role players or going, or Irving goes off and dominates the 3rd... it's over. Golden State repeat.

Cleveland ran out of gas in game 4, I think the same could happen tonight. I just don't see the Cavs being able to sustain this. Curious to see if Lue rests LeBron and Kyrie in the second half, I think it was a big mistake in the last game to not rest either in the second half.

knownone

Reaction score
Well looks like the NBA got what they wanted when they suspended Green. I honestly don't know what was worse, Golden State or the officiating.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1bmou2yw said:
On a good note, niners fans are crying tonight.

On a bad note, I had CLE/GS OVER 209. They were at 205 total points with 5 minutes and 33 seconds left in the game. They managed to score 4 points in the last 5:33, and only 1 point in the last 3 and a half minutes. :cry:

Krieg's list

Reaction score
knownone":19j086rw said:
Well looks like the NBA got what they wanted when they suspended Green. I honestly don't know what was worse, Golden State or the officiating.

The officiating was (and always is) worse. But it certainly didn't favor the Cavs like you imply.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
knownone":17xywovx said:

The officiating was fine. Near the end of the game the announcers even mentioned how well the game was officiated. As for the Green suspension, that is on him. He knew that he was one flagrant foul away from being suspended and he put himself in a vulnerable position. It's not like the league came out and suspended him, they gave him a flagrant foul which resulted in a suspension. Everyone is crying about LeBron, but the real story should be about how Green let him team down.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":puies0va said:
knownone":puies0va said:

The officiating was fine. Near the end of the game the announcers even mentioned how well the game was officiated. As for the Green suspension, that is on him. He knew that he was one flagrant foul away from being suspended and he put himself in a vulnerable position. It's not like the league came out and suspended him, they gave him a flagrant foul which resulted in a suspension. Everyone is crying about LeBron, but the real story should be about how Green let him team down.

Reflexively extending your arm to push someone away who has just knocked you to the ground, and then straddled your head as you attempted to get up, would not be considered a "flagrant foul" under any other circumstance.

The factors that influenced this decision:
1. Lebron's petulant whining after the game.
2. The unfair misperception that Green intentionally targets anyone's groin.
3. The NBA's concern about not being perceived by the public as favoring the Warriors.
4. The huge financial gains for the NBA if this series goes to seven games.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":20xn5229 said:
Hawk-Lock":20xn5229 said:
On a good note, niners fans are crying tonight.

On a bad note, I had CLE/GS OVER 209. They were at 205 total points with 5 minutes and 33 seconds left in the game. They managed to score 4 points in the last 5:33, and only 1 point in the last 3 and a half minutes. :cry:
You need help :lol: Go Cavs! It's going 7..Anything can happen,I hope the loss of Bogut hurts more than they make it seem.I hope Green blows blows another gasket so he's out for game 7

Alexander

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1sumvzmk said:
Hawk-Lock":1sumvzmk said:
knownone":1sumvzmk said:

Reflexively extending your arm to push someone away who has just knocked you to the ground, and then straddled your head as you attempted to get up, would not be considered a "flagrant foul" under any other circumstance.

The factors that influenced this decision:
1. Lebron's petulant whining after the game.
2. The unfair misperception that Green intentionally targets anyone's groin.
3. The NBA's concern about not being perceived by the public as favoring the Warriors.
4. The huge financial gains for the NBA if this series goes to seven games.

This is homer talk. Green got the flagrant because he flailed his right arm wildly as he was getting up and made contact with LeBron. There was nothing reflexive about the move. The actual hit was an accident, but intent is only a small factor in these determinations. Honestly, I think it's pretty unambiguously a flagrant 1. The hit is not nearly as bad as the Adams one (which was a flagrant 2), but it's still unnecessary contact. He might have gotten the benefit of the doubt (i.e., maybe it could be argued it was "reflexive"), but following the hit, he again flails his right arm in LeBron's direction (not necessarily trying to hit him, probably just gesturing in anger). So I think the league, in looking at that, saw a player who got angry and started gesturing vigorously in LeBron's direction, and as a result of that hit him by accident. That's a flagrant 1.

This is all very clear in the video below.

Also, the NBA may be marginally better off with a 7-game series rather than a 5-game series, but they're certainly not better off making the wrong call to benefit one team over another. If they didn't make the call, they'd clearly be favoring the Warriors, especially since Green already avoided suspension for the Adams hit. And let's not forget, the whole thing would be a non-issue if Green didn't regularly get himself assessed flagrant fouls. That doesn't make him a bad player or a bad guy. His aggressive and passionate play is part of what makes him great. But with players like Green, who frequently skirt the boundaries of acceptable on-court behavior, you have to take the good with the bad. LeBron clearly tried to get into his head (and probably should've gotten a technical for stepping over him), and he succeeded.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/741631219041980416[/tweet]

knownone

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2cg9qjeu said:
knownone":2cg9qjeu said:

I don't really have anything positive to say about Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Breen's views on officiating, the two of them contradict themselves every 10 minutes, one foul is obviously a flagrant, the next is clearly a flop, and both plays are identical to anyone with eyes except Van Gundy.
I don't think the officiating favored either team, I do however think it was awful, plain and simple. The officials dictated the pace and flow of the game, and that made it virtually un-watchable at times. I don't mind officiating if the calls are consistent, but they weren't, that kills the enjoyment of the sport for me.

I want Cleveland to win the series, I don't believe they are the better team, and I'm not blind to that fact. I don't think there is any way that's a flagrant on Green, plain and simple, it's hard for me to stand here and see anything but the NBA trying to extend the series. Especially when it's not obvious if there is intent, If they gave him a flagrant during the game I'd disagree, but I'd be fine with it. However, using slo-mo replay is not the best way to determine intent on f***ing basketball court, did the refs think it was a foul when it happened? no? ok, then let it go. Instead they retroactively give a flagrant for what is at the very worst a fringe flagrant foul, based solely on some nameless refs perception of another mans intent... it's stupid.

Alexander

Reaction score
knownone":2daa9hd2 said:
Hawk-Lock":2daa9hd2 said:
knownone":2daa9hd2 said:

I want Cleveland to win the series, I don't believe they are the better team, and I'm not blind to that fact. I don't think there is any way that's a flagrant on Green, plain and simple, it's hard for me to stand here and see anything but the NBA trying to extend the series. Especially when it's not obvious if there is intent, If they gave him a flagrant during the game I'd disagree, but I'd be fine with it. However, using slo-mo replay is not the best way to determine intent on f***ing basketball court, did the refs think it was a foul when it happened? no? ok, then let it go. Instead they retroactively give a flagrant for what is at the very worst a fringe flagrant foul, based solely on some nameless refs perception of another mans intent... it's stupid.

Intent isn't necessary to get a flagrant 2, let alone a flagrant 1. Whether the striking player is deemed "reckless" is typically more important than whether or not he was doing it intentionally.

The fact that the refs on the court didn't call it a flagrant is irrelevant. As you yourself stated, the officiating was awful. I think they probably just missed the hit to the groin, since there was so much more attention on what LeBron was doing before that. I didn't even notice it at the time, but I think the video I posted above makes it clear why the league felt compelled to call a flagrant.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Bottom line, if you TRY to hit a guy in his nuts, it's going to be a flagrant. Green is a dummy for doing so. He was well aware that he was one flagrant away from being suspended. He put himself in a vulnerable position for the league to call a flagrant on him. Whether it was actually flagrant or not, he put himself in a bad position.

And I'm tired of hearing the Warrior fans whining about how the NBA suspended him to extend the series. First of all, if Green didn't already have so many flagrants and tech's in the playoffs, he would still be playing. Second of all, last year all I heard from Warrior fans was that it wouldn't have mattered if Love and Kyrie played in the finals. Suck it up, your team played without their 3rd best player for one game. The Cavs had to play without their 2nd and 3rd best player for basically the entire Finals last year.

The NBA is rigged talk is pretty funny. Pretty much every radio show was talking about it today.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
CPHawk":piwhaput said:
Green will be out for game 5, dude is the biggest cheap shot artist since Laimbeer. To bad there no one like Barkley to deal with him, the way Sir Charles delt with Bill back in the day. Knocking his punk ass out.

Ironic that on ESPN this morning they were playing clips of Barkley saying that Green was totally in the right.

http://sfist.com/2016/06/13/warriors_draymond_green_banned_from.php
"James then stepped over Green, prompting what appeared to be a shot at James's balls from the grounded man — an action that both got Green suspended from tonight's Game 5 and earned the praise of basketball legend Charles Barkley."