Giants game a must win?

Polaris

Reaction score
Mindsink":1nmfzybq said:
If this is a must-win for the Seahawks, then what are the next three games for the 49ers?

Strangely less than must win. A single San Fran win coupled with an Arizona Loss and any two losses from Dallas/Philly (a loss from each, or two from either/or) clinches San Fran into the playoffs. Past that point, San Fran's playoff position is largely set in concrete no matter what (because they lose the head to head tiebreak with Carolina the other likely WC team).

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Polaris":3ou5bgch said:
Mindsink":3ou5bgch said:
If this is a must-win for the Seahawks, then what are the next three games for the 49ers?

Strangely less than must win. A single San Fran win coupled with an Arizona Loss and any two losses from Dallas/Philly (a loss from each, or two from either/or) clinches San Fran into the playoffs. Past that point, San Fran's playoff position is largely set in concrete no matter what (because they lose the head to head tiebreak with Carolina the other likely WC team).

Compare apples to apples, man.

If you're talking about just making the playoffs - which is what you're talking about for SF here - then Seattle has zero must-win games left.

If you're talking about winning the division - which is what you've been talking about for Seattle this entire time - then SF has three must-win games AND needs Seattle to lose 2 of their last 3.

Polaris

Reaction score
volsunghawk":23rq2945 said:

If you're talking about just making the playoffs - which is what you're talking about for SF here - then Seattle has zero must-win games left.

If you're talking about winning the division - which is what you've been talking about for Seattle this entire time - then SF has three must-win games AND needs Seattle to lose 2 of their last 3.

It's not an intrinsically apples to apples comparison though. San Fran doesn't have much of a home field advantage, but that also means they tend to play fairly well on the road. The biggest deal for San Fran would be to get a bye week.

It's also a matter of expectations. Niner fans for the most part have given up on the division. They know that asking Seattle to lose 2/3 where two are at home, and two are losing teams is unrealistic. So the expectation and goal for the niners is to make the postseason. Under this circumstance, you look at the next win being "must win" and if need be the next two games are "must wins" becuase they lock this up.

By contrast, losing HFA AND the Bye AND the Division to become the #5 seed would be devestating.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Polaris":2zfvtcd0 said:
volsunghawk":2zfvtcd0 said:

It's not an intrinsically apples to apples comparison though. San Fran doesn't have much of a home field advantage, but that also means they tend to play fairly well on the road. The biggest deal for San Fran would be to get a bye week.

It's also a matter of expectations. Niner fans for the most part have given up on the division. They know that asking Seattle to lose 2/3 where two are at home, and two are losing teams is unrealistic. So the expectation and goal for the niners is to make the postseason. Under this circumstance, you look at the next win being "must win" and if need be the next two games are "must wins" becuase they lock this up.

By contrast, losing HFA AND the Bye AND the Division to become the #5 seed would be devestating.

Guarantee you that Niner fans would switch places with us right now. Every damn one of them.

And that is why you compare apples to apples. Mindsink's point was to illustrate that the Seahawks have already clinched a playoff spot, whereas SF still needs to win games just to make the postseason.

All Seattle needs to do to guarantee the division is win twice, so yes, they have a slim margin of error over the last 3 games. But San Francisco has absolutely ZERO margin of error if they want the division. They can't slip up AT ALL. And on top of that, they need the Seahawks to slip up badly. In other words, the 49ers have ZERO control over how this division championship shakes out. All the Seahawks have to do is win the games they should and not get all panicky and pessimistic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Polaris":4l8ovr1h said:
volsunghawk":4l8ovr1h said:

Let's manage those expectations accordingly then. most believed yesterday was a must win for the 9ers, but not so much for the Seahawks...

and suddenly one losss has reversed the pressure onto an 11-2 team.

If all this is somehow convincing yourself the world is crashing around the Seahawks then go on... but seriously, not much has changed for this team. (maybe it has for a couple hypersensitive fans)

I'd get all this if we got blown out. But we didnt. the 9ers did what they needed to to salvage their season. we are still on course for ours. hyperbole aside every game has an importance AND every team can move on if they lose.

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":idt3c7x8 said:
Let's manage those expectations accordingly then. most believed yesterday was a must win for the 9ers, but not so much for the Seahawks...

I never believed that and I was very vocally on the record saying that Seattle needed that game more. I still think that.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":2oi6ip0u said:
Uncle Si":2oi6ip0u said:

I never believed that and I was very vocally on the record saying that Seattle needed that game more. I still think that.

Don't let logic slow you down, buddy. Keep fighting that good fight.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Polaris":k6tggdr5 said:
Uncle Si":k6tggdr5 said:

SEA@SF:

SEA win = clinch the NFCW on the first possible chance, make HFA achievable with 1 win over last 3 games
SEA loss = clinch the NFCW and HFA with 2 wins over last 3 games

SF win = one step closer to clinching playoff spot, prevent division rival from claiming crown, keep pace with Carolina
SF loss = division race is lost, fall back into a tie with Arizona and possibly Dallas/Philly and losing whatever margin of error remains for the #6 seed

Yeah, it's obvious that more was on the line for the Seahawks. :roll:

Polaris

Reaction score
volsunghawk":35sy6hxz said:
Polaris":35sy6hxz said:
Uncle Si":35sy6hxz said:

SEA@SF:

SEA win = clinch the NFCW on the first possible chance, make HFA achievable with 1 win over last 3 games

SF win = one step closer to clinching playoff spot, prevent division rival from claiming crown, keep pace with Carolina
SF loss = division race is lost, fall back into a tie with Arizona and possibly Dallas/Philly and losing whatever margin of error remains for the #6 seed

Yeah I think it was obvious. Seattle had the opportunity to CLINCH and deliver the divisional kill shot. That's obviously more important than losing a game on the rest of the field (that you have tiebreaker advantages on anyway). San Fran win or lose gained nothing playoff wise.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":2mbxh5r0 said:
Yeah I think it was obvious. Seattle had the opportunity to CLINCH and deliver the divisional kill shot. That's obviously more important than losing a game on the rest of the field (that you have tiebreaker advantages on anyway). San Fran win or lose gained nothing playoff wise.

VxOryER

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Polaris":3hmd5icr said:
volsunghawk":3hmd5icr said:
Polaris":3hmd5icr said:
Uncle Si":3hmd5icr said:

SEA@SF:

if San Fran lost they fell into a tie with Arizona for what may be the final playoff spot... you dont think they gained anything?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Polaris":1ta1wx62 said:
volsunghawk":1ta1wx62 said:
Polaris":1ta1wx62 said:
Uncle Si":1ta1wx62 said:

SEA@SF:

Had the 49ers lost, they would have dropped back into a quagmire of several teams fighting for the #6 seed. Their chance at a division title would be GONE. They would be at least 2 games back of the Panthers with 3 to play (as the Panthers have the head-to-head tiebreaker over them) for the #5 seed, so they'd be in trouble there. They'd be tied with Arizona at 8-5 with a road game against the Cardinals remaining. In addition, they'd have to start watching the Philly and Dallas results, as they could end up tied with both of those teams (if Dallas beats Chicago tonight).

Seattle losing didn't prevent them from reaching their division title or HFA goals. It only made them a bit more difficult to reach.

SF winning didn't clinch anything for them. But if SF had lost, it would have been a huge blow to their postseason chances.

In other words, the win would have been great for Seattle, but the loss wasn't devastating in any way. For SF, the win was a step in the right direction, but a loss would have been brutal. There's no way that this game was a must-win for Seattle more than it was for SF. None.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Polaris":1ajysis9 said:

The Seahawks had more to gain with a win, but also had less to lose a loss.

The 49ers has less to gain with a win, but more to lose with a loss.

...if that makes sense. :p

Hawks46

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3m6b03mz said:
9ers are going 12-4. Hawks HAVE to go 13-3 at worst to get HFA. We can't count on anyone else to blow it at this point, they've got to win the next two.

It's funny how we can be bipolar as fans. On one hand, the Niners are running the table, meaning a win at AZ is a certainty. Then we're worried about beating those same Cardinals at home.

I look at it like this. Like others said, we need to win 2 games at least. Of the 3 games left to us, which is the easiest, the Giants, Rams or Cards ?

Giants, then Rams, then Cards in that order. We barely beat the Rams, but that was there with two backup OT's. With Okung negating Quinn, we really only have to worry about blitzing LBers and Long. The Rams still play tough up here, but I see us winning a close game, but not as close as before.

The Cardinals are playing way better than when both us and SF beat them earlier in the year. The just lost Matthiew to an ACL so we'll see how that affects their defense.

I think we beat them, but I also don't think that SF beats them with 100% certainty. There's no love lost between the Cards and Niners either.

kearly

Reaction score
Statistically, no. Emotionally, hell yes.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I have one reply to this, directed toward the Hawks...

You know, when you were a baby in your crib, your father looked down upon you and had one wish: "Someday my son will grow up to be a man". Well look at you now; You just got your asses whipped, by a bunch of #$*@* 49'ers! , if I were you I would do something about it. I would get up and redeem myself in the eyes of my father, my Maker, and my coach

MUST WIN!!!!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
tom sawyer":3ptzs6nk said:
I have one reply to this, directed toward the Hawks...

You know, when you were a baby in your crib, your father looked down upon you and had one wish: "Someday my son will grow up to be a man". Well look at you now; You just got your asses whipped, by a bunch of #$*@* 49'ers! , if I were you I would do something about it. I would get up and redeem myself in the eyes of my father, my Maker, and my coach

MUST WIN!!!!!

Ha!

Ninerg

Reaction score
Mindsink":a8poj54k said:
RiverDog":a8poj54k said:
Ninerg":a8poj54k said:
SonicHawk":a8poj54k said:
I don't think the Niners are going to be 12-4.

TB isn't an easy win in TB. Falcons game at home should be a W, but the last game against Arizona? Not a gimme, especially if it's for a playoff spot.

The Niners are a good team, they still haven't showed they are great. Gore isn't what he used to be and Kaepernick just isn't special.

To me, every game is a 'must win', this is the NFL, you only play 16 of them in the regular season. Practicing losing is never good.

You guys in here bash Kap relentlessly, probably more than some Niner fans do out here, but you forget, he is still young, Russell Wilson, Luck, Cam and RG3 has more experience behind center than Kap. Kap has potential has only begun to be tapped, sky is the limit for Kap, that is why Jaws said he can become one of the greatest QB's in history, he made that statement based upon his potential.

This coaching staff let Kap down this year, trying to make him a clone of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, fearing that he might get hurt. Having said that Kap lead the Niners to the super bowl with only 8 games experience, the only other QB to do that was Jeff Hostetler. That is why Kap gets so many endorsements, plus he has Swag, Style and charisma. Russell Wilson, as good as he is, still have yet to lead his team to the Superbowl, he has yet to accomplish what Kap has already done with less starts.

Yes, but unlike the other four, Kaep had an opportunity to sit and learn for 1.5 years before being kicked out of the nest, plus he inherited a team that was 14-2 and a missed FG from going to the SB in the previous season. Cam, Wilson, RG3, and Andrew Luck all inherited losing teams and were forced to start from the get go and learn on the job.

Kaepernick is not in the same class as the 4 you mentioned. He's an average quarterback at best and not much, if any, of an upgrade from Alex Smith.

Switch Kaep with Wilson.

Imagine Wilson throwing to Crabtree, V. Davis, and Boldin. That would be unstoppable.

Imagine Kaep playing with Tate, Baldwin, and Miller. Everyone would be talking about how Kaep has nobody to throw to.

Not with Greg Roman calling plays. The Niners are a run first team, they throw along the way.

themunn

Reaction score
the next MUST WIN game Seattle plays will be in January.
The most important thing is making the playoffs, everything else is a luxury.

If we lose our next 3 then win the next 4, was the game against the Giants a MUST win?