Geno vs. Sam QB mobility.

Smellyman

Reaction score
That's not a concern for me. Do you know any other languages besides English? Knowing a second language makes it easier to learn a third, because the brain is already used to adapting to different vocabulary and grammar.
that and it is infinitely easier than learning a new language

Scout

Reaction score
Lets say the team drafts Penix this year. I do not see Penix starting over Howell or Geno regardless how the season progresses. The team is more likely to let Penix sit a year and then let him jump up to compete for a starting gig in year 2.

The Hawks are not in a hurry to find an "answer at QB" because they feel they can compete with the QBs they already have it seems. Even if they draft a QB they are still a year or two out till they can hand the reigns over to a younger drafted QB from my view.

Watching how the Patriots handled Mac Jones situation it was brutal but predictable almost like they gave him Carr syndrome. Some QBs have no problem playing year 1 as rookies but that is a very small pool of players that can do that and even a smaller pool that can do that when they are drafted beyond round 1. But most other QBs need time to sit and learn which is true for most QBs that enter the NFL. Whether that is a year, two years, three years, etc most QBs that sit and learn actually do become better players.

RiverDog

Reaction score
18 NFL games isn't enough time to judge a player. When it was a 16 game season the standard was 32 games aka 2 full NFL seasons. So, like I said you can't force Howell on the field if he isn't ready.

Plus he will be better off if he sits and learn for a year IMVHO.

This assumption that if the Hawks draft a QB in the first round and they would start immediately within a year or two isn't how JS operates or the GB way that he learned from Ted Thompson and Ron Wolf.

The Packers took a lot of heat by having Love sit for a long period of time. But Rodgers gave them the best chance to go deep into the playoffs for many years until they felt it was time to move on.

On this I am going to have to disagree with you all because the expectations you all are putting on Geno and Howell are not realistic. People expect Geno to be a top five franchise QB and to will this team into the playoffs when not even Wilson could do that. And now asking for Howell to play and saying he is "ready" isn't true based on what we saw last year and how many sacks he took.
Jamarcus Russell was the first overall pick in the 2007 draft, and he got just 25 starts and 3 seasons before he was declared a bust. Howell is a 5th round pick who don't enjoy nearly as many gimmes as a first rounder. There's a lot of quarterbacks that haven't had near the chances Howell has had to prove himself.

If Howell doesn't show some promise this season, then cut him and make way for the next man up.

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
If we were to consider 'mobility', we would absolutely be starting Geno over Sam. Which we are. Schneider and Macdonald have now both said this.

Id contend that is Geno's worst trait. He has awful pocket awareness. One of my biggest knocks on him. I think part of it is his processing speed. It's the single biggest thing that's keeping him from being an elite QB. Late throws and late in baling from the pocket. When Geno is on time, throwing in rhythm and getting the ball out quickly he looks like a world beater.
This hasn't really been Geno's problem as Seahawks starter and definitely not this past year. In 2022, he got sacked on 33% of pressures which was essentially league average. Not great but not terrible. (For context, Dak, Stafford, CJ Stroud, and Tua all had nearly the same sack-to-pressure rates this year.)

In 2023, though, Geno was only sacked on 23% of pressures, which was right around top 5, and he got better in the second half of the year. (If we look only from the Dallas game forward, where Geno specifically stated his goal was to throw guys open more aggressively, his sack-to-pressure ratio goes down to a mere 10%, which is basically as elite as it gets.)

And the thing is, in both 2022 and 2023 Geno has had a league average time to throw. He is not holding the ball forever nor are all of his passes being slung out as soon as he hits his back foot.

This is in contrast to Howell who was getting sacked on 44% of pressures, which was--as you can guess--quite bad. Howell ALSO has a near league average time to throw so he's also not holding the ball forever. But he actually has far worse pocket awareness than Geno. (Geno also gained more yards per scramble than Howell as well.)

Did Howell live in a pass happy offense with mediocre offensive line and an inefficient run game and a bad defense so you were constantly trying to come from behind late? Yeah, but... what part of that description doesn't also apply to the Seahawks? (Well, the mediocre offensive line part doesn't apply because our O-Line was actually worse at pass blocking than the Commanders'.)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Id contend that is Geno's worst trait. He has awful pocket awareness. One of my biggest knocks on him. I think part of it is his processing speed. It's the single biggest thing that's keeping him from being an elite QB. Late throws and late in baling from the pocket. When Geno is on time, throwing in rhythm and getting the ball out quickly he looks like a world beater.
This is just so off from what I saw in 2023. Prior I'd agree with you, especially in 2021. But he was playing fast in 2023. Lower time to throw and clearly stronger in navigating the pocket. He took far less sacks than he should've given the pressure he faced (in fact, he had a top-10 lowest sack percentage in 2023).

I mean, pocket navigation is almost a clear strong point for him now. It's been a complete turnaround since he got into action for us.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Doesn't all of this depend on who/how well both qb's pick up the new system
Pre-season will tell us some and practices will tell the coaches more
Washouts had no running game and I think it'd be more telling to see geno in their offense than anything but of course that'll never happen so they just have to go on what new info they gain from so we will see and whatever happens i'll still be glued to my feed every seahawks game , I kinda think there could be so many different ways to play the new kickoffs that it could be interesting again as opposed to just waiving an arm and gettin the ball at the 25

WarHawks

Reaction score
Well, at least there will be some level of intrigue with this new season, with new staff, some new players and new scheme. I'm not expecting much this season, but am hopeful that they grow and establish an identity. I'm not sure it really matters much who the qb is this year. Next year is where the rubber really meets the road however. Since Geno isn't the long-term answer, then it doesn't really matter how much playing time he gets either in the grand scheme of things. That will likely take care of itself regardless.