Geno Smith needs to play like Russell Wilson

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Watch the games against the Dolphins and Tampa Bay. They tried that and got burned.

I'm OK with it.

This defense is allergic to getting off the field on 3rd down. Allowing Purdy to get into any sort of rhythm wearing down our already banged up and worn down defense dinking and dunking his way to 8 minute long drives with six 3rd down conversions keeping their nasty defense fresh is a recipe for a 42-10 beatdown.

WarHawks

Reaction score
When I saw that ot ball yesterday barely touch the endzone instead of being downed at the one, I thought maybe the Football Gods are smiling on us? The ball also bounces in mysterious ways in the playoffs. Any given Sunday.

strohmin

Reaction score
They need to run the ball. It's honestly that simple. This O line needs to dig deep and get a push, not get pushed back into K9's lap.

If they can break of some runs, then they can play action bootleg Geno out the pocket and take some shots.

But they have to run the ball.

Heck, try some more of that wildcat with Dallas
Problem is we are getting stuffed for losses more often than not and its hard to get any rhythm or tempo going. Geno is then having to force it with alot of pressure in his face. I agree we need to run but the O-line needs to block like their life depends on it to have a chance.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Problem is we are getting stuffed for losses more often than not and its hard to get any rhythm or tempo going. Geno is then having to force it with alot of pressure in his face. I agree we need to run but the O-line needs to block like their life depends on it to have a chance.
Exactly. Easier said that done especially against that front 7.

But Waldron needs to get creative. Don't just pound it up the gut. I want to see draws, screens, traps, etc

However, the last time it was Homer getting the start. And the first time it was Penny. This is the first time K9 gets to start vs San Fran

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Woolen needs to play like Sherman. With all the Niner's hype, and expectations, and the "winning streak" and all--they have everything to lose--and the Hawks have everything to win.

calinator

Reaction score
I can't disagree more with this topic. The biggest difference between Wilson to Smith i've liked is him getting the ball out and not holding it and taking sacks. Russ was literally incapable of having a good game against teams that have a legitimate pass rush and is why he was terrible in the playoffs outside of a couple playoff games in his first 2 years and impossible later.

Russ backyard offense works against teams with mediocre/bad pass rushes, against any team with a good a pass rush he pretty much never had a good game. To be able to take deep shots you need time for the play to develop and throw it down field and against elite pass rushes it's not happening, it's not how you do football, unless MAYBE you can playfake.

The 49'ers defense is one of the most dangerous in years that has played and you want him to try to throw deep? That is a recipe for disaster. Against elite defenses you are going to need quick throws and maybe screens to keep them off balance.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Good defenses are definitely scheming Geno's accurate quick short route tree with press coverage and underneath zones taking away most of the successful TE check downs and out patterns. (as we saw yesterday)

So yes, I agree with the more shots downfield. But that requires protection, something our O-line hasn't been very good at the past 5-6 games.

Not the best matchup against the best front 7 in the entire league for this sort of gameplan.
I think part of the problem with protection has been that our two best OL have never played this many games and their conditioning hasn’t caught up to it yet. Hopefully they figure out a way to get them help and not let Bosa manhandle a single OT.

Own The West

Reaction score
I can't disagree more with this topic. The biggest difference between Wilson to Smith i've liked is him getting the ball out and not holding it and taking sacks. Russ was literally incapable of having a good game against teams that have a legitimate pass rush and is why he was terrible in the playoffs outside of a couple playoff games in his first 2 years and impossible later.

Russ backyard offense works against teams with mediocre/bad pass rushes, against any team with a good a pass rush he pretty much never had a good game. To be able to take deep shots you need time for the play to develop and throw it down field and against elite pass rushes it's not happening, it's not how you do football, unless MAYBE you can playfake.

The 49'ers defense is one of the most dangerous in years that has played and you want him to try to throw deep? That is a recipe for disaster. Against elite defenses you are going to need quick throws and maybe screens to keep them off balance.
Hear! Hear!

"Thanks to Sunday's performance, Geno Smith capped his stunning comeback season by setting Seahawks franchise records for completions (399), pass attempts (572), completion percentage (69.8) and passing yards (4,282), becoming the first Seattle quarterback to lead the NFL in completion percentage since Dave Krieg in 1991 (65.6)."

We can put an asterisk by some of this due to the 17 game season, but not the franchise completion % record. Smith owns that one, not Wilson.

It's been an impressive year. Spoiling the 9ers run would just be more gravy on top of our gravy.