Gameplanning nightmare

ptisme

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2pxrwa8c said:
themunn":2pxrwa8c said:
It forces us out of blitzing - which we don't usually do anyway

Yes, those were almost my exact words to the dude. He seems to think that our DBs won't be able to handle their WRs. He also thinks (in a follow up post) that the Seattle D won't be able to stop the GB offense if they don't do a good job of disguising coverage. He used the New England and Dallas games as comparisons, talking about how the GB receivers beat Browner or the Dallas DBs. It's clear that while he has watched a bunch of Packers games this year, he hasn't paid much attention to Seattle.
OK but what about this: If GB goes 5 wides, does it force you to take a stud front seven player out of the game and replace in with an average dime CB?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
ptisme":2nf4gvkk said:
volsunghawk":2nf4gvkk said:
themunn":2nf4gvkk said:

Yes, those were almost my exact words to the dude. He seems to think that our DBs won't be able to handle their WRs. He also thinks (in a follow up post) that the Seattle D won't be able to stop the GB offense if they don't do a good job of disguising coverage. He used the New England and Dallas games as comparisons, talking about how the GB receivers beat Browner or the Dallas DBs. It's clear that while he has watched a bunch of Packers games this year, he hasn't paid much attention to Seattle.
OK but what about this: If GB goes 5 wides, does it force you to take a stud front seven player out of the game and replace in with an average dime CB?

Not with the speed and coverage skills of our LBs.

ptisme

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1yu5uj6w said:
ptisme":1yu5uj6w said:
volsunghawk":1yu5uj6w said:
themunn":1yu5uj6w said:

Your LB's can cover WR's?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
ptisme":2hz5hofl said:
volsunghawk":2hz5hofl said:
ptisme":2hz5hofl said:
volsunghawk":2hz5hofl said:

Your LBs can't?

pehawk

Reaction score
ptisme":2j1aaj22 said:

Wagner got a borderline DPI called...40 yards downfield covering Cobb in week 1. Cobb didn't have him beat, at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ptisme":2c0tcca6 said:

All of our LB's are fast and long, that's why spread offenses don't work against the Hawks.

Most teams have to go dime which allows good QB's like Rodgers, Manning or Brady to pick on the weak link. The Hawks don't do that, they stay in their base D because Earl can cover the entire back end which allows Kam to drop down and knock WR's running shallow crossing and seam routes into the 3rd row.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Yes, those were almost my exact words to the dude. He seems to think that our DBs won't be able to handle their WRs. He also thinks (in a follow up post) that the Seattle D won't be able to stop the GB offense if they don't do a good job of disguising coverage. He used the New England and Dallas games as comparisons, talking about how the GB receivers beat Browner or the Dallas DBs. It's clear that while he has watched a bunch of Packers games this year, he hasn't paid much attention to Seattle.[/quote]
OK but what about this: If GB goes 5 wides, does it force you to take a stud front seven player out of the game and replace in with an average dime CB?[/quote]

Not with the speed and coverage skills of our LBs.[/quote]
Your LB's can cover WR's?[/quote]

Uh, yeah. They can.

Part of the reason why we have one of the better defenses the NFL has seen in recent years, or ever.......or perhaps you weren't aware of this factoid?

We seem to educate fan bases each week, don't we :)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1rk1by7r said:
Here is one Packers fan's thoughts on how his team will attack Seattle:

You have to create winnable matchups. How did Green Bay beat New England and Dallas? They found a matchup that was in there favor and exploited it. Vs the Cowboys they actually had 2 matchups they were winning (Cobb and Adams) as well as being able to run the ball.

I don't think the Packers are going to try and run on Seattle. At least not in the sense that it comes first. They are going to do something that they haven't done against the Seahawks. They are going to go 5 wide ( or Cobb in Backfield). That forces the Seahawks out of blitzing and also forces some one on one coverage to Cobb, Adams and Rogers. If they can force Seattle to cover Cobb with a slot corner (Simon) or a LB the Packer will have an advantage they can exploit. By going 5 wide the Packers are able to shift in and out of almost any formation they want without substituting during any given series. The combination they have used is 3 Wr and 2 TE. some 4 Wr and 1 Te.

The other thing the Packers thrive on is a high number of offensive plays run in a game. This is not the same as time of Possession. Green Bay wants a game where they get the ball and run upwards of 65 plays in a game. If the Packers do that they will put up approximately 30+ points. While the Packer Defense is not going to stop Seattle all day, they are good enough to stop them enough to win a high scoring game.

On the opposite side of the ball the Packers actually have a deeper corp of DB's than Seattle has WR. They are also capable of putting pressure on Wilson. The simple truth of the Cowboys game was Dallas couldn't make Rodgers move the Packers could make Romo uncomfortable.

Two stats to watch. If Lynch has 100 yards and 1 score the Packers will be in the game. If Lynch has 25 carries for 130 and 2 scores Seattle wins. If the Packers run 68+ plays on offense they will win this game.
"So Easy, Even A Cave Man Can Do It" :16:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Simon might be exploitable, if Saturday was any indication. Wright occasionally gets beat on downfield stuff, though he'll be blowing up your screens all day.

But that's about all. And given how much improvising Rodgers needed to do against Dallas' mediocre pass defense, it's hard to imagine him posting 30+ points against the Legion of Boom. The communication, recognition skills, and coverage handoffs amongst our back seven are pretty much unparalleled.

Also, Dallas was guilty of the level of poor tackling that hasn't been seen in Seattle since 2010.

MVP53

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2lxr1td8 said:
Here is one Packers fan's thoughts on how his team will attack Seattle:

You have to create winnable matchups. How did Green Bay beat New England and Dallas? They found a matchup that was in there favor and exploited it. Vs the Cowboys they actually had 2 matchups they were winning (Cobb and Adams) as well as being able to run the ball.

I don't think the Packers are going to try and run on Seattle. At least not in the sense that it comes first. They are going to do something that they haven't done against the Seahawks. They are going to go 5 wide ( or Cobb in Backfield). That forces the Seahawks out of blitzing and also forces some one on one coverage to Cobb, Adams and Rogers. If they can force Seattle to cover Cobb with a slot corner (Simon) or a LB the Packer will have an advantage they can exploit. By going 5 wide the Packers are able to shift in and out of almost any formation they want without substituting during any given series. The combination they have used is 3 Wr and 2 TE. some 4 Wr and 1 Te.

The other thing the Packers thrive on is a high number of offensive plays run in a game. This is not the same as time of Possession. Green Bay wants a game where they get the ball and run upwards of 65 plays in a game. If the Packers do that they will put up approximately 30+ points. While the Packer Defense is not going to stop Seattle all day, they are good enough to stop them enough to win a high scoring game.

On the opposite side of the ball the Packers actually have a deeper corp of DB's than Seattle has WR. They are also capable of putting pressure on Wilson. The simple truth of the Cowboys game was Dallas couldn't make Rodgers move the Packers could make Romo uncomfortable.

Two stats to watch. If Lynch has 100 yards and 1 score the Packers will be in the game. If Lynch has 25 carries for 130 and 2 scores Seattle wins. If the Packers run 68+ plays on offense they will win this game.

I'd be fine if they wanted to do that. Not leaving a RB or TE in to help in pass protection would be a real great way to get Matt Flynn in the game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Education is a continuing process. Keep up the process Seahawks.

CHawk

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin has a tad bit of speed covering receivers as well 8)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Again Packer fans...........you're going to go 5 wides with a QB that's lost much of his mobility? The only thing you're going to have time to throw when running an offense like that is a quick slant and our team will give you those all day. Ask the Donkeys how those worked out in the Super Bowl. Anything that takes longer than that to develop will most often result in pressure and/or a sack especially at the C-Link.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think KJ Wright is our slowest LB. His official time at the combine was 4.75 I believe. We have several linebacker who can genuinely run in the 4.4 range though 4.5 is probably a closer every day average.

wayuptherehawk

Reaction score
Just finished watching both games, and I think that what Green Bay may try to do is copy Carolina a bit with long sustained drives with short quick passes. If I have have a knock on the Carolina game, it was that our D seemed a little winded in the first half as our offense scored really quick with exploiting the young secondary. that is one thing I noticed is how quick Rodgers was trying to get the ball out and underneath short to intermediate passes. Also Rodgers did do the no huddle, many times which was a run with Lacy, trying to tire out the D. As some have pointed out, CLink is going to make that hard to effectively work. HOw they use Cobb, almost like bubble screens we used with Percy, so i wonder how much we are going to see that. Their O line was very good giving him time to check his receivers. If we can get to him like Cam, it will be hard for him to throw accurately. Dallas was playing close to the line for Lacy and perhaps Cobb. Rodgers read the blitzes or targeted the intermediate portion of the field, which to be honest, looked hard for him to make many good passes on target. One other thing he does well is hardcount, although it backfired with his center once.

I am going to be watching for a couple of things....one, to see if we can get a good pass rush on him early, to disrupt him and get him moving or throwing of the bum leg. Hopefully our line can control Lacy as he is a big guy. Need to get Cam on him. There were at least one or two times that Dallas could have exploited that D Line for big runs, if they would have seen the gap, or recognized how fast Matthews was overshooting. The right side really looked vulnerable. Lynch should have a good day. As far as presssure on Rodgers, the center seems to a point of opportunity to get to him.

ptisme

Reaction score
wayuptherehawk":37fra1kf said:
Just finished watching both games, and I think that what Green Bay may try to do is copy Carolina a bit with long sustained drives with short quick passes. If I have have a knock on the Carolina game, it was that our D seemed a little winded in the first half as our offense scored really quick with exploiting the young secondary. that is one thing I noticed is how quick Rodgers was trying to get the ball out and underneath short to intermediate passes. Also Rodgers did do the no huddle, many times which was a run with Lacy, trying to tire out the D. As some have pointed out, CLink is going to make that hard to effectively work. HOw they use Cobb, almost like bubble screens we used with Percy, so i wonder how much we are going to see that. Their O line was very good giving him time to check his receivers. If we can get to him like Cam, it will be hard for him to throw accurately. Dallas was playing close to the line for Lacy and perhaps Cobb. Rodgers read the blitzes or targeted the intermediate portion of the field, which to be honest, looked hard for him to make many good passes on target. One other thing he does well is hardcount, although it backfired with his center once.

I am going to be watching for a couple of things....one, to see if we can get a good pass rush on him early, to disrupt him and get him moving or throwing of the bum leg. Hopefully our line can control Lacy as he is a big guy. Need to get Cam on him. There were at least one or two times that Dallas could have exploited that D Line for big runs, if they would have seen the gap, or recognized how fast Matthews was overshooting. The right side really looked vulnerable. Lynch should have a good day. As far as presssure on Rodgers, the center seems to a point of opportunity to get to him.
One of the biggest reason's it's so hard to beat Rodgers at Lambeau is his hard count and his changing plays at the line to put the Pack in the best position to run or pass.... He won't be able to do either of those things with the noise in your stadium Sunday.....

Latest posts