From a Packers Fan

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hey, welcome to the board! Solid post, and while I agree with your assessment on Capers and the conditioning staff, I think you're being too hard on your team too. This was about the toughest game one could have imagined for any team to start the season with. I doubt any team would have come in here and won, or really even made it competitive. And in spite of the score, the Packers did make it competitive for a while.

I think Aaron Rodgers purposely avoiding Sherman's side of the field was not disrespect toward Sherman at all, but quite the opposite. He simply respects his abilities far too much to risk a throw in that direction. I think it felt a little disgraceful, but toward Rodgers, not Sherman. Rodgers is one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game, and he didn't have the balls to test Sherman. As a Seahawks fan, that is amazingly cool to me. If I were a Packers fan, I'd have been downright ashamed that my future Hall of Fame quarterback wouldn't even test a top-tier corner with a couple of throws.

The Packers showed they were not in Seattle's league that game, but take heart; I don't think anyone is this year. The stars have finally aligned for a team and fan base with a lot of woulda-shoulda-coulda memories. We're making the history we can be proud of now. It's rare to have a legitimately historical defense coupled with a well-rounded team, and that's what you're seeing right now in Seattle. We're now the team that everyone in the league fears to go up against.

The Packers will be a good team this year. They've got a lot of things going for them. That offense, in spite of what you saw against the Seahawks, is a great offense. Lacy is a beast. You have a good pass rush. And as said before, a future Hall of Fame quarterback. A lot of things to hang your hat on this season. A few games from now you'll be sitting pretty and in the middle of the discussion for playoff-hopeful teams. We could well see you right back here at the end of the year with a trip to the big game on the line.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have said this in other threads, but this was just a bad matchup for the Packers. The Hawks are extremely good when the logistics are prime time at home against team with predicated on offense.

The list of good teams that have been thrashed in that scenario is long, including NOLA and even SF the last 2 times they came here in the regular season. Even the playoff game against them had been setup for a landslide with the late turnovers that the Hawks only got 3 points out of. It bothered the league enough to make that single game the only prime time home game.

That is serious business when the NFL tries to control the advantage the Hawks have in that situation. The Packers are going to be no less than 10 win team and maybe 11. No more NFCW opponents and the division will likely be owned by GB where I see a 5-1 record. The league did not do GB any favors by scheduling that as their opener.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1vmlzmyj said:
I have said this in other threads, but this was just a bad matchup for the Packers. The Hawks are extremely good when the logistics are prime time at home against team with predicated on offense.

The list of good teams that have been thrashed in that scenario is long, including NOLA and even SF the last 2 times they came here in the regular season. Even the playoff game against them had been setup for a landslide with the late turnovers that the Hawks only got 3 points out of. It bothered the league enough to make that single game the only prime time home game.

That is serious business when the NFL tries to control the advantage the Hawks have in that situation. The Packers are going to be no less than 10 win team and maybe 11. No more NFCW opponents and the division will likely be owned by GB where I see a 5-1 record. The league did not do GB any favors by scheduling that as their opener.
Agreed but GB was possibly the league's best shot of pinning and opening home loss on Seattle. They could have played SC but a niner loss in the opener would give Seattle a commanding lead in the division with THIS Seattle team and the current niner team with their current injuries/suspensions/mental state, the NFL doesn't want divisions settled early in the season, thats why we play SC so late in the season. A desperate move by the NFL that will backfire as Seattle can't be stopped this year! :th2thumbs:

bigDhawk

Reaction score
I'll throw my lot into the "don't feel bad" hat because your defense will not be the last to get clowned by what may be the most potent offensive trifecta the NFL has seen since the Cowboys' Triplets - Wilson, Beastmode, and Harvin. I could go on with superlatives but I think you know what I'm getting at and the kind of historic potential this offense may be able to achieve. They may not put up ezmode fantasy numbers like modern pass-tastic offenses are wont to do, but much like the 90s Cowboys dynasty they will consistently string together one back-breaking, clock-killing scoring drive after another, running equally as much as passing, with defenses never having a clue what's coming next. What GB experienced will be the experience of many otherwise good teams this season. And this, obviously, is to say nothing of our defense.

So put this game behind you and go concentrate on winning your division, which is always our primary goal and should be the primary goal of every playoff-caliber team. Deal with it later if we meet again in the post-season.

OP
OP
R

rubyweapon7

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1bivn4tk said:
I think Aaron Rodgers purposely avoiding Sherman's side of the field was not disrespect toward Sherman at all, but quite the opposite. He simply respects his abilities far too much to risk a throw in that direction. I think it felt a little disgraceful, but toward Rodgers, not Sherman. Rodgers is one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game, and he didn't have the balls to test Sherman. As a Seahawks fan, that is amazingly cool to me. If I were a Packers fan, I'd have been downright ashamed that my future Hall of Fame quarterback wouldn't even test a top-tier corner with a couple of throws.

I think what I meant that the coaching staff was being disrespectful towards Rodgers for having a game plan of not even challenging Sherman once.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
rubyweapon7":2k9itw1s said:
Seahawk Sailor":2k9itw1s said:

I think what I meant that the coaching staff was being disrespectful towards Rodgers for having a game plan of not even challenging Sherman once.

Ah yes. Completely agree there. They have a guy who's going to be in the discussion for GOAT at the quarterback position. If their game plan was to have Rodgers completely avoid Sherman, that's disrespect toward a quarterback they should trust to make those throws. If it was Rodgers not wanting to throw his way, I'm afraid that's just plain catballs.

OP
OP
R

rubyweapon7

Reaction score
I will also say that Russell Wilson deserves more credit than has gotten from the media. He is much better than just a game manager.

drdiags

Reaction score
I know there was not a lot of game-planning, but the Bears and Raiders threw at Sherman and had some success. I think you will see more teams choosing to test him after the Packers being called out about it. Nelson had a good day against Maxwell sans the bounce off his hands leading to the INT.

The Packers have lost the past 2 season openers prior to this one and if not for the injury to Rodgers last year, they have owned the NFCN. I would give it until the half-way point before trying to judge how the NFC or NFL in general is going to go for the end run.

I think Capers is going to be gone after this season. He just has a real hard time designing a defense that can keep a mobile QB in check. Good luck the rest of the season.

kearly

Reaction score
To the opening post. Try not to be too down on your team, especially to your fellow fans. You have a future HoF QB and a great offense. That alone will guarantee playoff games for years to come and plenty of wins. Enjoy it because this kind of thing only lasts so long.

Regarding the Packers, I respect Ted Thompson, but the Packers are just yet another team that took the "get rich quick" approach to building an NFL team and everyone sees the downside of it against teams like Seattle and SF. By that, I mean that the Packers are a pretty terrible team if you take Rodgers away, they go from a 12-4 type team to a 3-13 team instantly, whereas a team like Seattle could probably go 10-6 or 11-5 with Tjack. Seattle built a great TEAM, the Packers built a faulty team that is made to look good by an all-universe QB.

You get a franchise QB, and it masks a lot of problems on your roster. Until you face a defense that frustrates that QB, and your team gets exposed. It doesn't mean the Packers can't win a SB, but by taking such an approach, it means they'd probably need a lot of luck to get there.

Thompson and McCarthy are good at what they do, but they need to find a visionary DC who can spin 5-10 no-name players into quality contributors.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
drdiags":nkpo0zaj said:
I know there was not a lot of game-planning, but the Bears and Raiders threw at Sherman and had some success. I think you will see more teams choosing to test him after the Packers being called out about it. Nelson had a good day against Maxwell sans the bounce off his hands leading to the INT.

The Packers have lost the past 2 season openers prior to this one and if not for the injury to Rodgers last year, they have owned the NFCN. I would give it until the half-way point before trying to judge how the NFC or NFL in general is going to go for the end run.

I think Capers is going to be gone after this season. He just has a real hard time designing a defense that can keep a mobile QB in check. Good luck the rest of the season.
Yeah, that was a total head scratcher. A smart, mobile QB with a good arm has proven to be the best weapon against our D. Trying to play smashmouth and dink/dunk football against Seattle is a bad move if you're not built for that. Looks like McCarthy tried to take a page from our NFCW opponents' playbook, but that's like treating all NFL teams like cloned widgets. Better to study what the Colts did last year because it's something you can physically duplicate.