Frank Clark to KC for a 1st and a 2nd!!

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Hotchy":2eo74nxi said:
Seymour, you are missing my point...
Wagner will be 29 this summer. Why would you want to pay a huge cap portion to a single player, not named Wilson ?
Wagner got his 2nd contract. You need to take your heart out of it, and sell high. No player, other than a QB should get a 3rd contract. There's more Wagners and Clarks in college right now. You just gotta find them.
Wags will be looking to break the bank next year, and no way they get their return

No I think you are missing mine. I'm going to pay him because he is #1 at his position and he can help us win 2-3 years minimum, and I like to win.

Pretty simple. His contract will have protection to get out year 3....watch.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1urpg0ag said:
Sounds like talks got a lot tougher when the Cowboys gave Lawrence the big contract. I'm good with blaming the Cowboys for this.

Having Jerry Jones "set the market value" for DE is like putting Eddie Lacey in charge of the China food buffet. :pukeface:

mikeak

Reaction score
Chapow":3ql489f6 said:
Second, I've heard for the last 20 years that a pick in next years draft is valued a round below this years draft. So while we technically received a 2nd round pick, the value of that pick is a 3rd rounder, and given the fact that KC is very good and likely a Super Bowl contender, that 3rd rounder is likely to be a very late 3rd rounder.

Third, while it's a small thing, I'm not super happy that they agreed to swap this years 3rd round picks, moving us back 8 spots to the very end of the 3rd round.

In addition if we franchise him this year then we get a 3rd round pick as a comp pick

So in reality we really got a 1st round pick and traded down a few spots in the 3rd round

Considering the cap hit that Clark comes with I still think we did great. I am surprised that Clark gives us this and we couldn't get a first for Earl Thomas last year......

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So a late first and a late second could i can live with that i just wish one of those picks was this year.. Hopefully they can find a way to move up and get Sweat . I doubt it though. I hope they don't reach on an Edge rusher in this years draft now. There was no way they could pay him what he wanted he's a fine Edge rusher but not a dominate player and wasn't great against the run either.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":308ehjf6 said:
Chapow":308ehjf6 said:
Second, I've heard for the last 20 years that a pick in next years draft is valued a round below this years draft. So while we technically received a 2nd round pick, the value of that pick is a 3rd rounder, and given the fact that KC is very good and likely a Super Bowl contender, that 3rd rounder is likely to be a very late 3rd rounder.

Third, while it's a small thing, I'm not super happy that they agreed to swap this years 3rd round picks, moving us back 8 spots to the very end of the 3rd round.

In addition if we franchise him this year then we get a 3rd round pick as a comp pick

So in reality we really got a 1st round pick and traded down a few spots in the 3rd round

Considering the cap hit that Clark comes with I still think we did great. I am surprised that Clark gives us this and we couldn't get a first for Earl Thomas last year......

A) Earl was damaged goods...

B) Earl's exit strategy was executed by the equivalent of a 3 year old (Garrett come get me and finger ordeals)

C) Age difference.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I had a friend who said, "I might rather have nothing than pay Frank $105MM over 5 years".

I think that makes him the 3rd highest paid defender in the league.. wow.

1st and 2nd..Amazing return in a deep front 7 draft. Great work JS.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So pick 29 this year and next years second cool. I had hoped for a higher pick but a second next year makes it more palatable . 20 MIL a year just wasn't going to happen in Seattle i agree with the decision.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Dang Frank Clark got paid. I think this is a win-win. Next man up.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":32lwlcqo said:
This could a Rick Mirer trade where both teams benefit.

Are you being sarcastic because on what planet was the Rick Mirer trade good for the Bears?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Agree Kiwi, especially since it's likely to be a late 2nd rounder anyway. Chiefs should be real good again.
So, if a good player is available early 3rd round, might be worth pulling the trigger and swapping with that 2020 2nd rounder.

Kinger95

Reaction score
After seeing what some free agent linebackers got this year is anyone else nervous about Bobby Wagner? I mean he’s pretty irreplaceable as far as our defence is concerned but giving a guy that plays that hard and physical and is get up there in age has to be a risk right? Think we use a 1st on a LB?

Fade

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has the ammunition to rebuild his defense.

#21 Rashan Gary (Frank Clark esque)
#29 Darnell Savage (ET replacement) (May trade down a little bit and still get their guy.)
#92 Chase Winovich (Clay Matthews esque)

Bobby Wagner
Jarran Reed
Poona Ford
Rasheem Green
Jacob Martin
Trey Flowers

Need Shaq Griffin to bounce back at Corner.

Overall that would be a pretty good, young defensive core. With only Wagner & Reed making big money.

Vet rentals/short term

KJ Wright
Kendricks
Sign a vet DE like Nick Perry to be a stop gap.

D

DomeHawk

I was thinking he was worth more than just a first so that is good BUT he is a proven player and when I hear people celebrating that we got a 1st it causes me to pause. There are a TON of 1st-rounders who are either flops or mediocre players.

No one really knows how good a trade this is until we see how it plays out.

But, I get it, we were caught up in a cap dilemma and had to find a way out of it.

Latest posts