"Frank Clark could be the real deal"

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2i39edrv said:
Hawks46":2i39edrv said:
Good article. The only nit pick I have is that Irvin isn't 246 pounds anymore.

Look at him as a rookie, and look at him now. He's 255 easy.

Clark is one guy I'm excited to watch in TC. With his athleticism, arm length and ability to play the run, he's looking like a very good and well rounded player, from a talent perspective. I sincerely hope he replaces Bennett. I'm tired of his antics.

They were referring to Irvin's combine weight when he posted those times:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/bru ... id=2532871

I agree that Irvin looks heavier now.

Yea, that's why he's such a freak of nature. Looking at him on the field, he doesn't look a step slower or less agile for gaining all that weight.

Looking at Clark, he's pretty think in the legs. I was surprised he was actually that quick. I also love the arm length; with those gorilla arms, he can match most Tackles for hand fighting.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2fa5ek02 said:
Evil_Shenanigans":2fa5ek02 said:
Cannot wait to see what Cable does with this guy!

wat

I mean, the kid is good and all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

9a5345d05c7b81a15bec7c661d026c36.jpeg

:sarcasm_off:

- bsd

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ov5a2lzg said:
The OP stayed at a holiday in express last night.

I personally really liked his take on the 2nd rounder. If you don't, perhaps your rebuttal could contain some facts like his post did.

I am extremely bullish on Clark.

And while I don't discount Clark's measurables -- which for his position are really outstanding. I have to say that there is almost no way in hades that he played up to those measurables in college.

I see a guy who has great athletic ability. And shows the willingness to not merely be a one trick pony. He uses speed and power. However he's neither supremely good at the speed rush. Nor brilliant at the power rush. His tape is otherwise not indicative of a superb impact player.

I think Clark will be a much better player in the NFL. Specifically, his athleticism, his outstanding awareness and his versatility gives him a very solid base to be a well rounded impact player at the next level. To be a great pro, you have to be capable of rushing inside or outside. Clark seems capable of doing either -- but simply needs to improve at both. You have to be tough and you have to be game smart. Clark is both of those things in spades.

If you look at his tape, you'd never guess his physical measurables are what they are. A good/productive college player. But not dominant.

There is something that has to click into place for him. As a mutable physical specimen -- he's got great pedigree for Carroll to mold and hone. And in this regard, I find his potential most intriguing. But as an accomplished collegiate player he doesn't strike me as a first round type of producer at all. And that could well be because he didn't have one dominant ability that he could rely on consistently to take over games.

Clark very much appears to me to be one of those players who kind of has an otherwise lackluster first year. And then explodes onto the NFL scene in his sophomore campaign.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks seems to have a pretty good handle on what players are going to be picked at what spot in the draft, so they must have strongly felt that Clark was going to be picked within the next 5 or so picks after their selection for the Hawks to take him instead of Lockett who they also must have graded as a second rounder.

What I find confusing about the Clark pick is the divergence of opinion I've heard from analysts about his football abilities. Some say he has first round talent, and I've heard elsewhere that he had 5th or 6th round talent. I would think with those measurable of his, he could fit into any defensive scheme, so why such a wide range of opinion on his football talents?

ctrcat

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3n9yomqh said:
Scottemojo":3n9yomqh said:
The OP stayed at a holiday in express last night.

I personally really liked his take on the 2nd rounder. If you don't, perhaps your rebuttal could contain some facts like his post did.

Clark very much appears to me to be one of those players who kind of has an otherwise lackluster first year. And then explodes onto the NFL scene in his sophomore campaign.

Unless you're truly the freakest of freaks like Javon Kearse or Julius Peppers, there's zero shame in having what is considered an otherwise lackluster first year as a DE. History says it's GOING to happen. I was amazed when comparing the physical similarities of Clark to Kony Ealy, taken in nearly identical spots in the last two drafts. Measurables nearly identical with only an inch/pound or two in either direction. Clark had a better 40, vertical, and broad, Ealy had a better bench, 3 cone, and college resume. Ealy's rookie year was quite a mixed bag by normal, non-rookie standards from bad, respectable, to very good. Not sure what more anyone could want from a rookie DE.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":24gmuv86 said:
Atradees":24gmuv86 said:
IDK.......Call me in two years. Completely raw.....not unlike Irvin. All opinion no fact but its a true opinion.

Actually, he is nothing like Irvin. He is not nearly as athletic (not a slight, Irvin is a freak) but is much more polished and well rounded. A great variety of pass rushing moves and a solid run defender. He's more of an instant impact performer than Irvin.

JMO of course.

I agree Clark is very much more polished and better suited physically to be any early performer b/c of it. However his athleticism is elite, his P-SPARQ # was 141.6 and I believe Irvin's # was just north of 144, but Irvin was a very raw pure speed rusher and weighed in at a slight 240-245. Irvin has had to learn some tricks while bulking up to 265 to be effective other than as a a one trick pony as an NFL pass rusher. Clark is interesting b/c in addition to his polish in a pro style D, he has exceptional length, very long arms, and elite short area quickness at 271 lbs.

I'm hopeful the team scored a real coup in drafting Clark and that he will prove to be a very solid pass rushing addition to the team adding his physicality to that of Bennett Avril and Irvin should give the team and interesting pass rush crew to field when it comes that time.

The team as well has a very raw long armed, long, and athletic developmental project in Obum Gwachum too.

kearly

Reaction score
If Clark does turn into a star, people will go back and look at his tape from Michigan and wonder how in the hell he fell to the end of the 2nd round. That's not to say he's a lock for greatness, he's still a bit of a project, but his raw ability should be obvious to even the greenest layman.

I really like these kinds of players that are so tough to matchup against even before developing. Even if Clark fails to be a star, I think he could easily turn into a quiet difference-maker ala Alan Branch or Cory Redding.

kf3339

Reaction score
I am really excited about what Frank Clark will bring to our defense! I think he fell to us for a reason and hopefully he will prove to be another draft day steal for our defense. Just like two of our legion of boom members have proven this last few years. Wouldn't that be great!

Seahawker86

Reaction score
jdemps":31g4rr35 said:
McGruff":31g4rr35 said:
Atradees":31g4rr35 said:
IDK.......Call me in two years. Completely raw.....not unlike Irvin. All opinion no fact but its a true opinion.

Actually, he is nothing like Irvin. He is not nearly as athletic (not a slight, Irvin is a freak) but is much more polished and well rounded. A great variety of pass rushing moves and a solid run defender. He's more of an instant impact performer than Irvin.

JMO of course.

Clark's cut from a different mold than Irvin. Irvin was supposed to be that freak speed rusher that blew by every lineman before he could get out of his stance. Problem is that he doesn't have a countermove and can get pushed off the line of scrimmage on running plays (Atl playoff game anyone?). Clark has the more traditional DE size as opposed to our previous Leo rushers (Irvin 243, Clemons 250-255). It looks like we're slowly moving toward a more conventional 4-3 defense.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
IF CLARK CAN LEARN GREAT TECHNIQUE FROM BENNENT AND FINE TUNE HIS MOVES HIS ATHLETICISM CAN MAKE HIM GODLIKE INTERIOR PASS RUSH.

A

Anonymous

titan3131":3edlo4db said:
Im not so sure that we are moving our defensive style.

Gwachum fills that leo role to a T.

Clark will be interior rusher primarliy. He isnt moved much by oline and as posted has great ratings against the run.

I see him and bennett being the incredible pass rush taht avril and bennett were together when we had clemons at leo.

Imagine the front

Avril---Clark----Bennett----Irvin

I forsee this as the 3rd down nascar elite squad.

Titan3131,

Bro-ham, dude, stud, rhino...

For the love of everything sacred, capital letters, apostrophes, commas... I certainlky hope your not texting and driving, but embrace the proper names and stop yelling at us!

Crymini!

Don't make us pull your 12 card for review.

:141847_bnono:

:mrgreen:

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1g3edxql said:
titan3131":1g3edxql said:
Im not so sure that we are moving our defensive style.

Gwachum fills that leo role to a T.

Clark will be interior rusher primarliy. He isnt moved much by oline and as posted has great ratings against the run.

I see him and bennett being the incredible pass rush taht avril and bennett were together when we had clemons at leo.

Imagine the front

Avril---Clark----Bennett----Irvin

I forsee this as the 3rd down nascar elite squad.

Titan3131,

Bro-ham, dude, stud, rhino...

For the love of everything sacred, capital letters, apostrophes, commas... I certainlky hope your not texting and driving, but embrace the proper names and stop yelling at us!

Crymini!

Don't make us pull your 12 card for review.

:141847_bnono:

:mrgreen:

My most sincere apologies. I post alot while I am at the gym doing cardio, and this wonderful seahawk-haven is my time escape. NEVER TEXT AND DRIVE.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
kf3339":3nodt0yt said:
I think he fell to us for a reason

Yes he did. The same reason we haven't heard a word about him from the Hawks since the draft and won't hear anything about him until after he starts making an impact on game day and all is forgiven.

jmho

-bsd

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
During his interview with Aaron Levin, Chris Richard was asked which of the newcomers had particularly impressed him so far.

He lathered positives all over Clark; hard-work, humbleness, positive attitude, willing to learn every play.

Sounds encouraging, at least.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pass rushers never show much in OTAs. Wait until the pads go on, wait until Clark gets to line up with Bennett and Avril. Wait until he feels it and learns a few pro level tricks. I'm excited by his addition. I hope as well that Obum Gwachum pans out as a pass rusher too.

Latest posts