Florio calls Sherman a "cheap shot artist"

RiverDog

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3qlb3hm2 said:
RiverDog":3qlb3hm2 said:
RichNhansom":3qlb3hm2 said:
RiverDog":3qlb3hm2 said:
It was a stupid penalty and Sherman deserves a stiff fine. Hopefully he won't get suspended for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The play was over, not even anywhere near Sherman and the receiver was just standing there, not involved in the play. But I'm not going to call him a cheap shot artist.

The play was over? Even though when Sherman hit the receiver while the ball was currently in the air? Have to disagree with you completely.

Did he have to take the shot? Nope but it doesn't change the rule that once the ball is in the air anyone not being targeted for the catch is now a blocker. If your going to change that then you need to change the rules saying receivers cannot become blockers down field.

Will they fine him? I don't know but that is only because the NFL is trying to turn the game into tickle football. Not because the hit was even remotely questionable.

I can understand if Sherman couldn't see if the play was over or not, but he could see that the receiver had clearly given up on the play and it was obvious he wasn't going to be involved. All he had to do was nudge him out of bounds if he wasn't sure the pass was going to be close. No way did he have to unload on him like that.

Mark my words, he'll get a fine for it.
Nudge? Really? That sort of play stops players short of fulfilling their dreams to make an NFL roster. That's not how players are coached... and for good reason. It's entirely possible that if Sherman didn't see the play was over, that removing a player from the play like that could have served to prevent a teammate from getting hit in the same fashion.

Sherman is a professional football player. Arguably the best at his position. If Troy Palomalu made a hit like that, the announcers and everyone else would be applauding him for his physical play and intimidation. I'll grant that seeing it was shocking. Getting hit will look like that at times. Players like Clay Matthews (et all) receive high praise for blowing players up. If it's legal, it's legal. My opinion is that is where the officials should not step over their bounds. Leave it to the players to work out on the field. Sherman didn't try to destroy his knees or otherwise take away his livelihood. To me, that's the line between cheap and legally blowing up another player.

Sherman hit him from behind when the receiver inches away from the end line and when he had already relaxed and not in a football playing mode. You light up a receiver like, one that has already given up on the pass, on the visiting team sidelines and the benches will empty and Sherman likely ejected. Had that ball been catchable, they would have called PI and given NO the ball on the one as Sherman was not looking back for the ball. It was the absolute right call.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Basis4day":33bfudyy said:
Sherman got away with a very similar move on Boldin earlier this year. Those hits happen every game outside the camera and only make to news cycle if the refs catch it.
How does one "get away" with doing something legal? Was the hit on Boldin legal? I don't recall. Maybe I don't understand your post. Are you more affirming that Sherman is being consistent with how the DB's are coached to play? Or, are you saying Sherman is occasionally taking cheap shots?

jdblack

Reaction score
BamKam":yagha56l said:
Come on guys if any other defense did that to us this board would be outraged.

Maybe you would, but I wouldn't be outraged. If they aren't paying enough attention and take that kind of hit, then it's a good wake-up call.

More importantly, it will still be legal.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Kixkahn":b1stbanz said:
I at first thought it was after the play and couldn't believe he did it. Now I see it was still during the play so it shouldn't have been called. A heck of a hit though.
Me too. Thus, I give Sherman the benefit of the doubt. He's not a dirty player and didn't think to himself over a millisecond, I'm going to end this guy.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
BullHawk33":3k2apqiw said:
This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Browner got called for a similar hit earlier for what he thought was an uncatchable pass. It looks like our defense tries to catch the opponents off guard to get into their head, whether it is for this game or the next, they will remember and be affected by it. Sherman nailed one receiver earlier this year and then got popped by that same receiver (maybe Fitz?) on a reception to which he gave him a deserved pat on the back. They give it and they take it.

I can't say I like what Sherman did, but I can see why he did it. Receivers will be a bit gun shy from the shots they take. Advantage Seahawks.
Yup. Let the players work out the physicality that is within the rules. Thanks for pointing out how Fitz came back with a hit. I was just thinking the same thing and forgot to mention it in one of my now many replies in this thread. Those guys respect each other for playing each other hard.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2x0rz8r3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2x0rz8r3 said:
CEHawk":2x0rz8r3 said:
RiverDog":2x0rz8r3 said:
It was a stupid penalty and Sherman deserves a stiff fine. Hopefully he won't get suspended for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The play was over, not even anywhere near Sherman and the receiver was just standing there, not involved in the play. But I'm not going to call him a cheap shot artist.

Not even a subjective call. The Seahawks corners have been coached to make these hits, and coached well. It was a completely legal hit and takes that receiver out of the play as a blocker. I believe Pete Carroll talked about this when Browner made a similar hit on Greg Jennings with no flag. Totally legal hit that SHOULD be made.

There's a difference between being physical all the way through the whistle and blowing someone up, Sherman did the latter. It's deemed excessive, thus the penalty.
You've just given a rationalization that could be put into a dictionary to show one being subjective. Rules is rules. I can see mojo's point about why the call was made. But, in that the officials are still being subjective with objective rules - molding and bending the set rules to possibly even help a team that is being out coached and out played. If the NFL doesn't like it, they need to change the rules and not penalize the Seahawks for it. If you don't like Sherman's play, then you have a problem with the team philosophy and thus... you are not really a fan of how the Seahawks coach their players to play the collision sport of football.

Of course it's subjective......just like PI, Roughing, Unsportsmanlike Conduct and other similar 15 yard penalties.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":35218n66 said:
Sherman hit him from behind when the receiver inches away from the end line and when he had already relaxed and not in a football playing mode. You light up a receiver like, one that has already given up on the pass, on the visiting team sidelines and the benches will empty and Sherman likely ejected. Had that ball been catchable, they would have called PI and given NO the ball on the one as Sherman was not looking back for the ball. It was the absolute right call.
We disagree. I'm with Sherman and the Seahawks coaching staff on this one. I love this sort of play and that they've completely turned the ship around from those years of hearing that "soft" label and that culture.
Go Hawks!!!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bh4504o said:
TeamoftheCentury":3bh4504o said:
Sgt. Largent":3bh4504o said:
There's a difference between being physical all the way through the whistle and blowing someone up, Sherman did the latter. It's deemed excessive, thus the penalty.
You've just given a rationalization that could be put into a dictionary to show one being subjective. Rules is rules. I can see mojo's point about why the call was made. But, in that the officials are still being subjective with objective rules - molding and bending the set rules to possibly even help a team that is being out coached and out played. If the NFL doesn't like it, they need to change the rules and not penalize the Seahawks for it. If you don't like Sherman's play, then you have a problem with the team philosophy and thus... you are not really a fan of how the Seahawks coach their players to play the collision sport of football.

Of course it's subjective......just like PI, Roughing, Unsportsmanlike Conduct and other similar 15 yard penalties.
You're doing a circus act with words which do not serve to counter the points I've made.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":g6xbmk5d said:
Sgt. Largent":g6xbmk5d said:
TeamoftheCentury":g6xbmk5d said:
Sgt. Largent":g6xbmk5d said:

You're doing a circus act with words which do not serve to counter the points I've made.

No I'm not. You're saying "rules are rules" and I'm saying the call last night was a subjective penalty, as are ALL personal foul penalties. They're at the refs discretion to call or not call.........and the ref decided that Sherman was excessive in blasting Stills out of bounds. Not so sure why you're confused.

It WAS a penalty, and Sherman WILL be fined.

dunceface

Reaction score
I can't believe how many lames are taking Florio's side in this thread...I loved the play and I love the way or DBs play

HawkWow

Reaction score
Starrman44":20f8r6lr said:
I dislike how soft the NFL is getting. I think that if they don't like the hit, than the NFL needs to address it in the rule book.

Not many like this pussification of the league. They're turning it into exactly the opposite of what our forefathers (lol) created for us. The problem is those forefathers can barely tie their shoes or remember their phone numbers now. Today we have a very large sample size, providing the luxury of going back 50 years to see the effects of the game, on players. Technology is now able to (practically) pinpoint cause and effect.

I mentioned in a different thread some time back, when the face of the league, Junior Seau, puts a window in his head and scientists determine that act was football related, you knew change was in the wind. And rightfully so.

I am going to like these new rules less, but I'm just going to have to adjust to them. The refs are basically acting as OSHA these days. Why should football players be exempt from the same protection offered to a welder or mason? Because the money is better? They're selling entertainment, not brain cells. And if these stiffer rules save just 1 Junior Seau, it will be hard to argue their validity, IMO.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11n70bfn said:
No I'm not. You're saying "rules are rules" and I'm saying the call last night was a subjective penalty, as are ALL personal foul penalties. They're at the refs discretion to call or not call.........and the ref decided that Sherman was excessive in blasting Stills out of bounds. Not so sure why you're confused.

It WAS a penalty, and Sherman WILL be fined.
So, I'm confused? Then I'm confused right along with Sherman and probably the rest of the Seahawks coaching staff. There you go. We disagree. Sorry, man. I'm not making any comments about whether he will be fined or not. With some of the things this league is doing... it wouldn't completely surprise me. Dollars to donuts... the L.O.B. would help pay any such fine... and then they might even go to Top Pot Donuts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dunceface":13lexf0t said:
I can't believe how many lames are taking Florio's side in this thread...I loved the play and I love the way or DBs play

I'm not taking Florio's side. It wasn't a cheap shot, nor do I think Sherman is a "cheap shot artist." If that was the case Sherman would have numerous personal foul penalties, which he doesn't.

Was it an excessive hit? Yes. But I didn't see any malice or it being a "cheap shot." Sherm's a man of passion, so I'm OK with it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
GCrow":34txdc5l said:
Well, he doesn't seem to mind;

Kenny Stills ‏@KSTiLLS 1h
@jasonrmcintyre @thebiglead lol hit was legal

Proves my point actually. His few remaining brain cells are likely dying from loneliness. LOL.

I wasn't using Sherms hit as a great example of the stricter rules (overall). But one of the problems these refs are having this year, and a likely source of so many blown calls, is too many rules are not clearly defined, left vague, leading to too many arbitrary calls by the officials. They clearly need to draw a line in the sand and either call (in this example) unnecessary roughness every time or not at all. We berate the hell out of these refs..as well we should, but Goodell, IMO, is not making things all too easy on them either.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I didn't really like what Sherm did so I'll just leave it at that, but man.......reading the comments for that article, there is some true vitriol towards Sherm in them.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3g6jav1e said:
............I love this sort of play and that they've completely turned the ship around from those years of hearing that "soft" label and that culture.......
Those labels were justified on defense back then. LOVE that our team ain't soft anymore.

Latest posts