Finishing teams off

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":1p8krsjf said:
The playoffs will soon be here ; and the Hawks will not be facing any 5 or 6 win teams anymore . The NFC is loaded this season going into the post season . If the Hawks are fortunate enough to get a good lead in a playoff game and decide to play it safe to protect that lead ; I feel that they will not fair very well . The defense is not good enough to hold off a good offense with their " prevent D ". Not in the playoffs . IMO

Change "prevent D" to "prevent players."

This is a personnel issue, not a scheme issue. It wasn't a coincidence that our defense all of a sudden played back to form when Diggs, Clowney, Ansah and Reed were all 100% in the SF and Philly games.........and when some of those guys were out, or not 100% all of sudden we're back to base 4-3 giving up easy scoring drives.

So if all these guys hurt can get back to as close to 100% as possible by the playoffs, and we somehow survive the next two weeks and get the #1 or #2 seed? We got a chance to do some serious playoff damage.

But if most of these guys can't get right and we're playing far more healthy teams in the playoffs? You are correct, gonna be a one and done situation more than likely.

That's not just us btw, that's any team. You can all the talent you want in the playoffs, but health is arguably the most important indicator of who wins SB's.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zrnbdov said:
Defense. That's what this is about.............as in our defense isn't good enough to step on a team's throat so our offense can put these games away.

I agree. I don't buy into the idea that the team has the talent on that side of the ball to completely lock another team down on offense. The other teams can fling it around in desperation and move the ball and score. One upside has been that they've managed to get turnovers during these fling-fests in recent weeks and that has helped negate it.

The coaches might be doing some sub-optimal things, but I don't really think they're just incredibly ignorant of things that will just work on defense when the team is up. It's easy to crawl around a message board and drop cliches like "prevent just prevents you from winning" and "soft zone", but we all know if you try to play man and stuff other teams when they take higher risks late in the game when they're down, you're heavily exposing yourself to 60+ yard TD plays.

This team has the players they have and the defense isn't great. They've improved with Diggs back there, but expecting them to consistently drop out any NFL offense when that offense is willing to start taking serious risks is unreasonable.

John63

Reaction score
olyfan63":gv53zmat said:
lukerguy":gv53zmat said:
The Seattle Seahawks very easily could have lost Sunday's game against Carolina.

After extending their lead to 30-10 with 7 minutes left, the Sehawks found themselves on 3rd and 11 in their own territory with 2 minutes left. Does anyone have confidence that the defense would have stopped CAR after giving up 2 straight long TD drives in "prevent" defense? I sure don't.
-snip-
Anyways, this has been bothering me all week. Imagine if they hadn't converted 3rd and 11. We could easily be talking about 31-30 loss when up 30-10 with 7 min left. I know they came through, but it was too close for a team of their caliber ( and CAR).

Thank you for this awesome post!

I wonder what the success percentage calculation was on that 3rd and 11? 20%? Yes, it's Russell, but it sure felt like we were unbelievablly close to losing 31-30 before that conversion.

I understand and support Pete in playing the young guys, but damn! Scoring a TD in 70 seconds?
Such a horrible performance from basically a 2nd team defense? From Pete's point of view, this should be unacceptably close to a horrendous *miscalculation* on his part. The Carolina offense made it look like taking candy from a baby in that 4th quarter.

I don't know what Pete's scheme change plans are for this situation, but *something* has to change! I don't say this from the point of view of an "outraged fan", but from the viewpoint of a coach and a guy who likes to think I understand a lot of how Pete's mind works. I'd like to think Pete looks at this as a wake-up call, unacceptably close, but on this one, I really don't know. Did it get Pete's attention enough? Will he talk over with his coordinators adjustments to his "Prevent" (us from winning) defense scheme and adjustments on the offensive side to keep the pressure on, and snuff out rallies? Does Pete see all this as a non-issue, that he never really even felt threatened, that he felt he and the team could turn back on the juice at any moment needed?

Here's how I'd like to think Pete would approach it. Remember, Pete is still learning and refining himself as a coach. He learned from the Percy Harvin fiasco. He learned from the Malcolm McDowell fiasco. So... I DO think this truly caught Pete's attention. I think Pete is in a state of UTTER DISMAY at how poorly the JV defense played (nor sure what else to call that unit), and DISAPPOINTMENT in how the offense failed to burn clock and/or get another score. I also think Pete is nearly as disappointed with the OFFENSE, for failing to PROTECT the battered, now-JV defense. I do think Pete is taking this very seriously, after reflecting on it, of how to do a better job of keeping teams down. I believe Pete is really thinking this over, because the late-game sequence of events in Carolina is FUNDAMENTALLY INCOMPATIBLE with Pete's self-described IDENTITY as a COMPETITOR. The defense simply didn't COMPETE on those last two drives. So I'm pretty sure Pete is giving this serious thought and discussing this with the coordinators and other coaches, as well as the players.

What will Pete DO about this problem? I do believe he now considers it an actual problem. Obviously, he is talking it over with Norton and Schotty. Clearly, the film study and position group work this week is going to be looking a lot at key plays during the Panthers' comeback. I think a number of players will be challenged to do better than they did on specific plays, and the young guys will get things clearly pointed out to them, and now they'll be understanding and listening based on firsthand experience. The guys in on D didn't COMPETE. The problem could even be something as simple as misinterpreted communication from Pete. Maybe Pete said to Norton and Schotty after Diggs and Wagner went down, "Let's just get out of here healthy, that's our #1 priority right now." If Pete instead said something to Norton like, "We've got them down; they'll be mostly passing. Let's try out some of those blitz packages we've been working on, see if we can get pressure on that QB and give some of our young guys a chance to show us something".

It was like Pete STOPPED COMPETING after the score hit 30-10. The irony is it was the opposite of preseason Pete, where he is out there coaching as hard as he can, through the final seconds of the 4th quarter, trying to get the rookies and roster bubble guys to compete as hard as they can, make some plays and win the game. As a fan, we see the vets and roster locks cheering on the 3rd stringers, and truly cheering them on and being happy for their success. Why is this climate suddenly absent in the regular season? It's like the guys get the impression that they are just supposed to play soft D, don't get injured, and start thinking about that more than just playing Seahawk football.

As a youth soccer coach, I always LOVED it when, up a few goals, I'd put my second tier players into key roles, and see them fight hard and make plays, see them COMPETE HARD and show the learning and development that had been occurring in practice, and have my star players focus on setting up the second tier players rather than padding their own stats. Certainly not letting the opponent back into the game through indifferent, lackluster play. The same was true when down several goals against a superior opponent; there's plenty of learning and development that can occur in that situation.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Pete is working on this letdown-with-a-lead issue. We shall see... It could be almost as simple as him changing his messaging to the coordinators and assistants.

One more thing... WHERE THE HELL WAS L.J. COLLIER?? Did anyone even know he was on the field??!!

I will say it again as long as Wilson is here and can cover up all the mistakes PC makes nothing will change and people will say look we are 11-3 and 50+-0 etc not realizing that is despite in because of.