Enjoying This Run vs. The Final Result

chawx

Reaction score
I was only 4 years old at the time, so I don't fully remember/appreciate the 1984 Hawks team, but I do remember the 2005 Hasselbeck/Alexander team and that was probably the only other time I felt realistically confident that my Seahawks team could beat just about anyone they played.

Obviously, every year (even in the Mora era) I thought the Seahawks were the best team in the league and if this, this, this, this, or this happened, we could win it all... but realistically, I know for a fact after watching every second of every game this year, that this team has surpassed my beloved XL* * championship team as the only team ever where I could puff out my chest and shout from the rooftops that, "I CHALLENGE ANY TEAM, ANY WHERE, AT ANY TIME TO GIVE US YOUR BEST SHOT AND TRY AND BEAT US BECAUSE WE WILL WIN AND WE WILL EMBARRASS YOU WHILE WE DO IT!!"

This team just doesn't have a weakness like any other Seahawks team I've cheered for—it's going to take a major meltdown in all 3 phases of the game at the exact same time for 60 solid minutes for any team to fly up to Seattle and beat us at home.

I have a feeling that had this 2013 team gotten to play in the 2005 Super Bowl XL* game:

- Russell would NOT have let the penalties shatter our psyche like it did for Hasselbeck and that team. He's wayyy too mentally tough for that and he would have steadied the ship and made the plays that needed to be made, no doubt in my mind.

- Alexander was a nice guy, almost too nice for my liking, I want my RB to act and play exactly like Marshawn does now. Violent, with purpose, not out to make friends and sing "Kumbaya" after the game. Behind that '05 left side of Jones and Hutch, Lynch would have been MURDERING secondaries and the occasional LB, unlike the lay down and brace for the big hit that #37 used to pull. (This isn't a bash Alexander post, I thought he was one of the best ever when it came to getting tough around the Goal Line—and I loved him for that, but that OL was dominant on that left side especially and, imo, Lynch would have fit in perfectly.)

- Our WRs are clutch! One thing I remember back in the 00's with the Hass lead teams were d.... oops... dr... oops... drops! Besides Engram who was money on 3rd down, everyone else was so drop happy it blew my mind! There was usually 2-3 drops in every game we lost that were KILLERS! With this core of WRs, when a guy doesn't make a diving, one-handed catch on a tipped pass with 4 defenders on him—we're all amazed he couldn't keep both feet in bounds.

- And then our D! Compared to the 2005 D, it's no contest. This team is easily up and down, back and forth, side to side, and any which way more dominant of a Defense than I have EVER witnessed with a Seahawks team. Ever. Period.

This team is going to get the job done. I can feel it in my bones. We. Will. Not. LOSE! Another game. This season. Dream it. Believe it. Imagine it. Whatever you need to do in your minds eye to bring it to fruition...

WE

WILL

WIN!!

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":192q7uxu said:
The ability that Papa Pete & Uncle John have at finding DB talent is ridiculous.

So ridiculous that I wonder if we should re-sign our favorite CB on the planet(?). Obviously, the fan in me wants to wash my mouth out with soap, but from a business stand point.....? The gentleman I refer to is a large portion of who we are, but if he's asking 15 mil...what do you do when Pete seems to churn these guys out like McNuggets?

I do understand there is a thread all about this CB, and I'm not actually expecting dialogue here, just thinking out loud.

Jville

Reaction score
I certainly remember some difficult times. So curious that the next Superbowl will be held at the birth place of a permanent replay culture.

Remember? >>>>> [urltargetblank]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1998/12/06/jets_seahawks/[/urltargetblank]
''The Testaverde play,'' a league official acknowledged, ''shook people up.''

Meaning the people with a vote -- owners, coaches and general managers. And yesterday, with 24 ''yes'' ballots needed, the clubs voted, 28-3, to restore replay for the 1999 season, quite a jump from last year's 21-9 turndown. Only the Jets, Arizona and Cincinnati cast nay votes.

For all the arguments extolling the absence of replay after its use from 1986 to 1991, even its most dedicated defenders couldn't argue with the injustice of the last-second Testaverde ''touchdown'' when he was stopped more than a yard short on a fourth-down quarterback sneak.
[urltargetblank]http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/18/sports/sports-of-the-times-just-thank-testaverde-for-replay.html[/urltargetblank]

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What we all have learned over the course of this season is... if we lose our starters to injury or suspension, the play of the team does not drop off appreciably.

The team is so deep... and that depth of talent (and experience in Pete's system) will help John and Pete make some very difficult player personnel decisions over the next few years.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
It's a hell of a ride and I don't want to miss any of it. Hitting the mental fast-forward with an eye only on the Super Bowl means you'll miss a lot of great stuff.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
1984 Hawks played 14 [15 with bye] weeks of excellent football and followed it up with 4 weeks of garbage.

Week 16 is a big week for this franchise. It was the beginning of the end for the 1984 squad, what is it for the 2013? HFA?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1pfohwqb said:
The Hawks have been great. Just really, really special. Not that my opinion is worth much, but for a season like this I think it's really important to just savor and enjoy every moment of it in the moment.

Think about it this way:

If the Hawks win the Super Bowl you spent all of the wonderful moments on the path to it being stressed out rather than enjoying them. What a loss!

If the Hawks don't win the Super Bowl you still miss out on enjoying how great they were along the way, and how much it sets them up for next year. Again, what a loss!

It's the type of year and type of team to just live in the moment and enjoy, IMO.

Your opinion isn't worth much. While most here have accepted you as a quality poster from a 49ers fan perspective.

I have not. I figured you out, the first time we had our disagreements, on how to read in between the lines of what you say and what you meant to say.

And its no surprise you're trying to detract again. But here are things you can sit on:

1. .Net does not represent the entirety of the 12th man in its whole. While its a means to a voice. Its only a small faction, there are thousands of members, who choose to not have an opinion one way or another, and never post. And they're thousands more who never set a digital foot here.

2. Every fan base will be critical one way or another, no matter if their team is losing or winning. And each fan base has its extremists whether they choose to be optimistic or pessimistic or stand in between. The difference with ours is that many of our fans came in with such great expectations for example pulling off a perfect season. So while I'll agree they're has been more hand wringing and finger pointing I personally would have like for a 4-0 team, 11-1 team, and now 12-2 NFL best... its understandable considering the outlook of each fan is different. And the people who have complained more or less only want the best out of this team.

3. With points 1. And 2. established, just because someone is highly critical or negative about their team, doesn't make them blind or oblivious to the team's overall accomplishments.

So take this "What a loss, ish" you're trying to serve elsewhere, the 12th man is behind this team, we're proud of the Seahawks, we've broke records, traveled well on the road, and flew banners in support. The majority believe this is the best team ever assembled in Seahawks history, while some believe it could be one of the best assembled in NFL history. And many of us know this team will be competitive in the long run even if we don't make it the Superbowl, or do and don't win.

Nice try though on trying to key in on the doubters and acting like they are whole spirit of the 12th man.

Its very arrogant and short-sided but rather expected coming from you.

Riley12

Reaction score
Some radio guy this afternoon was saying that you have to be all in at this point - ready for pure elation or complete dejection, with absolutely no grey area.

That described my state as a Seahawk fan for as long as I can remember. The worst day on the calendar is usually day the season ends.
For the first time in, what, 37 years, I am hopeful to say NOT THIS YEAR.

I can always enjoy the ride, through the DVR or NFL Rewind, but this time I want to reach the destination.

birdman5

Reaction score
pmedic920":3mkqlhha said:
At the risk of getting my ass handed to me, I'll say this.
Like you I am loving what we have right now. I am more optimistic than I ever have been, in regards the the SEAHAWKS. I like many ole time fans, have that little nagging voice whispering to me, that this ain't real and something will bring it to a crashing halt.
When I hear it , I remind myself how many times this year, that the hawks have pulled out a win, in a situation that past teams would have folded up and accepted a loss. Ie. Houston & Tampa Bay.
This team is unlike ANYTHING we've had before. And we've had some good ones. I believe that the hawks have the formula, not just for this season, but for the future as well. Yea we will loose players for various reasons but this management team knows how to find talent to keep the train rollin'. I'm happy with the out look.
GoHawks.

My feelings exactly. Is it too good to be true? I'm going to say no, as the little voice tells me yes...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Jville":27vx721k said:
I certainly remember some difficult times. So curious that the next Superbowl will be held at the birth place of a permanent replay culture.

Remember? >>>>> [urltargetblank]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1998/12/06/jets_seahawks/[/urltargetblank]
''The Testaverde play,'' a league official acknowledged, ''shook people up.''

Meaning the people with a vote -- owners, coaches and general managers. And yesterday, with 24 ''yes'' ballots needed, the clubs voted, 28-3, to restore replay for the 1999 season, quite a jump from last year's 21-9 turndown. Only the Jets, Arizona and Cincinnati cast nay votes.

For all the arguments extolling the absence of replay after its use from 1986 to 1991, even its most dedicated defenders couldn't argue with the injustice of the last-second Testaverde ''touchdown'' when he was stopped more than a yard short on a fourth-down quarterback sneak.
[urltargetblank]http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/18/sports/sports-of-the-times-just-thank-testaverde-for-replay.html[/urltargetblank]

I recall the Testeverde play all too well. Eclipsed only by the rapist on almost the exact same play in XL. The bitch about the Teste play, aside from the loss, is it cost a great coach his job. We've been snake-bitten so many times, that we just might be immune to snake bites now. Knockin' on wood.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
As a franchise long fan, i consider myself qualified to say this team is is different than any team the Hawks have ever fielded. They are built out of energetic youth and talent with depth. They are able to win games that are loaded with bad calls and bad bounces. They can win any type of game they are faced with and have not even fully developed on offense yet. I am totally enjoying the ride and only the ride, I spend no time worrying about the playoffs or the Super Bowl chances. It is a waste of time to do it.

I know deep down that this team will not let up, they will never quit and they put themselves in a position to win every game they play. They are clearly the most well rounded team in the entire league. They have shown consistency all season long and have only lost by beating themselves in games against good teams in very close road games. They are on a mission every week and don't flame out, ever.

You don't see portions of coverage talking about having struggles in any aspect of their game, all we have ever heard is doubts about the road which every year under Carroll has been closer to being history and is now no longer even a consideration. They are hungry and they know how to handle themselves in big games. Put them under the spotlight in the Clink and they step up Every. Damn. Time.

I will just continue enjoying the ride until it ends, regardless of the outcome and I will be back to enjoy it again.