Elite.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IMO, the word elite is reserved for only the highest echelon of any particular class structure. Let's say the top 3 percentile. If I'm relatively close with that estimation, then only 1 team of the 32 could be considered elite (in a literal sense) on an annual basis.

With the exception of 2005, the elite team will be seen standing under the Lombardi trophy.

seabowl

Reaction score
Aros":1718ehhc said:
seabowl":1718ehhc said:
We are far far far away from elite. Can't even believe that word was even posed for a question. Denver is the only elite team as of now and even they are questionable.

Well excuse me Your Highness for proposing a question that clearly by the response was a valid topic of conversation. Sorry it was such a disappointment to you.

No disrespect meant just that IMO elite is for the very best and I'm not sure any team right now in the league is elite. In terms of the Hawks the closest thing to elite recently has been the end of last year during their great run. The last truly elite team in the NFL was probably the Pats undefeated regular season before losing in the bowl.

This team has still many issues and is very far away from being elite, again IMO.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seabowl":1pym75ot said:
Aros":1pym75ot said:
seabowl":1pym75ot said:
We are far far far away from elite. Can't even believe that word was even posed for a question. Denver is the only elite team as of now and even they are questionable.

Well excuse me Your Highness for proposing a question that clearly by the response was a valid topic of conversation. Sorry it was such a disappointment to you.

No disrespect meant just that IMO elite is for the very best and I'm not sure any team right now in the league is elite. In terms of the Hawks the closest thing to elite recently has been the end of last year during their great run. The last truly elite team in the NFL was probably the Pats undefeated regular season before losing in the bowl.

This team has still many issues and is very far away from being elite, again IMO.

Seems your definition of Elite and Aros's is different. Not that either is incorrect. I always think every year there are 2-3 teams that can be categorized as "Elite". Perhaps Aros needed to define this term for you before enter a discussion.

seabowl

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":uye3lmx2 said:
seabowl":uye3lmx2 said:
Aros":uye3lmx2 said:
seabowl":uye3lmx2 said:

Seems your definition of Elite and Aros's is different. Not that either is incorrect. I always think every year there are 2-3 teams that can be categorized as "Elite". Perhaps Aros needed to define this term for you before enter a discussion.

The thing for me is after most of this teams wins this year I was not feeling that we were dominant in these games and frankly felt we could have lost a good portion of them if we didn't make a crucial play. For me this is just not elite. As far as my interpretation compared with others is, elite to me is the absolute best without question. Nobody right now in the league is this, even Denver.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seabowl":shl6f9k2 said:
T-Sizzle":shl6f9k2 said:

The thing for me is after most of this teams wins this year I was not feeling that we were dominant in these games and frankly felt we could have lost a good portion of them if we didn't make a crucial play. For me this is just not elite. As far as my interpretation compared with others is, elite to me is the absolute best without question. Nobody right now in the league is this, even Denver.

See... and for me Elite means you find a way to make that one crucial play and win....or even win ugly. Even the 2007 Patriots you mentioned won 4 games by 4 points or less. No team in NFL history has rolled every team they play. Winning the close ones or finding a way to win those separates elite from non-elite.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":14dczxx7 said:
Considering that "elite" is completely subjective, then sure, we're elite.

Why? Because I love the Seahawks and they're winning most of their games. Boom. Elite. That's enough for me.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

In my estimation, this is the same team that went on a historic three game run last year and easily has the capability to do it again. I'd say Seattle's definitely in that conversation.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, considering we are winning on the road, that is a pretty good barometer of success therefore yes we are.

McGruff

Reaction score
Top 8 offense, top 3 defense, elite special teams, great coaching and great young talent. Other teams poach our bottom feeders and want our coaches and front office personnel, AND are beginning to mimick our schemes.

Hell yeah, we're elite!

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I think we're "Elite"... I believe Elite is a team that finds a way to win either pretty or ugly... Doesn't matter, just "Take Care Of Business"... So, yes the Seahawks at this stage are "Elite"... :th2thumbs:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Aros":34alzi92 said:
Are we "Elite"? It's an honest question because I don't even know what the parameters and definition is of being an Elite NFL team. For me, I think an elite team is one that wins the majority of their games (obviously) and is loaded top to bottom with talented players who show up on game day. Personally, I think the Seahawks are an Elite team but I'm curious to hear what others think and what defines "Elite" for you.

Offense - We're somewhat between a good and great offense, definitely not ELITE IMO.

Defense - We're Elite.

Special Teams - We WERE Elite last season, this season I'll say we're...Good.

Combine all the above and we're a between a Great and Elite Team.

Which is why we're ranked #4 currently. That's fine with me, it's week 7 in a 16 game season. As long as our team continues to grow/fix their mistakes week to week, combined with the fact that we have people coming back/in in the next few weeks. I feel by the end of the season, our team as a whole will be considered an ELITE team.

p.s. I don't think ANY other team in the NFL is "elite" in all three categories. So it balances out. i.e. The Broncos obviously have the best offense in the NFL right now. But they also gave up 48 points to the Cowboys, no way in hell KC or the Hawks would have done that (but neither of us would have scored 51 points either).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Like a previous poster already said Elite is subjective. To me elite is the top tier in the nfl and there is usually a substantial drop off. For me Seattle, Denver, N.O. are elite. KC should be included as well but not ready to say I believe and probably 1-2 other teams.

uncle fester

Reaction score
For me, elite applies to the teams that everyone automatically expects to lose to, based on prior form (I think that's a form based more on rosters than momentum).

I don't think Seattle are quite there. Yet.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I remember hearing a coach years ago describe it like this:
Poor to average teams hope to win on game day.
Good teams expect to win.
Elite teams know they will win.

Are the Seahawks elite? Yep.