Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Cowboynation

Reaction score
So you think Earl Thomas would intentionally play poorly? If that's your opinion, then I don't think you know much about Earl Thomas.

I actually think the Seahawks are willing to make Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL, once again, assuming Thomas stays healthy and proves he is dedicated to football. But they're not willing to do it until after this season. They need to make sure he is healthy and committed to football.[/quote]

I think people generally react to the franchise tag with a slight reduction in play intensity and desire (just naturally not intentionally). The team is basically putting them over a barrel and demanding results for a 1 year deal and the over-riding threat of cutting due to injury and losing out on any future guarantees. It sends the message that the team does not view the relationship with long term goals in mind unless the player submits to lower guaranteed money than he would get in free agency.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Cowboynation":2zkzxnuh said:
So you think Earl Thomas would intentionally play poorly? If that's your opinion, then I don't think you know much about Earl Thomas.

I actually think the Seahawks are willing to make Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL, once again, assuming Thomas stays healthy and proves he is dedicated to football. But they're not willing to do it until after this season. They need to make sure he is healthy and committed to football.

I think people generally react to the franchise tag with a slight reduction in play intensity and desire (just naturally not intentionally). The team is basically putting them over a barrel and demanding results for a 1 year deal and the over-riding threat of cutting due to injury and losing out on any future guarantees. It sends the message that the team does not view the relationship with long term goals in mind unless the player submits to lower guaranteed money than he would get in free agency.

That's not Earl Thomas. He's gone 100% in everything he has done since he was 15 years old. He goes 100% in practice.

It would also be counterproductive, since it is a contract year for him.

The biggest concern for the Seahawks is what happened to him a year and half ago when he suffered a serious injury and then publicly contemplated retirement. They would also like to see what they have in their young safety prospects, which so far isn't that promising. Also, the Seahawks are still paying Kam Chancellor not to play. Next year, the Seahawks will have a lot more cap space available to get an extension done.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cowboynation":1qtffdnl said:

Good points, but how the Hawks do this year will be the indicator to whether Pete and John think it'd worth the risk to give Earl an extension. If we're back in the playoff hunt and the young roster shows signs of competing immediately? Then yes, having an All Pro caliber safety like Earl would be a good signing because we're back in the SB contention window.

If the team struggles and Pete and John think we're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing? Then no, you don't risk being strapped with a big extension for one of your aging players. You trade him and use that pick to build.

chris98251

Reaction score
The way to get Earl in camp is to start Thompson or someone and have them come up big right away, seeing that we have a player ready to step in reduces his leverage even more. We don't have to pay him if he is holding out, we can wait for a team with a need and they happen in pre season to approach us as a need thing and a better offer.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ceo2pose said:
Cowboynation":ceo2pose said:

Good points, but how the Hawks do this year will be the indicator to whether Pete and John think it'd worth the risk to give Earl an extension. If we're back in the playoff hunt and the young roster shows signs of competing immediately? Then yes, having an All Pro caliber safety like Earl would be a good signing because we're back in the SB contention window.

If the team struggles and Pete and John think we're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing? Then no, you don't risk being strapped with a big extension for one of your aging players. You trade him and use that pick to build.

THIS!!

toffee

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/0 ... proposals/
Six proposals:
Proposal No. 1: Dallas’ 2019 second-round pick
Proposal No. 2: 2019 2nd-round pick + TE Rico Gathers
Proposal No. 3: Conditional 2019 3rd + Charles Tapper
Proposal No. 4: 3rd-round pick + Kony Ealy
Proposal 4A: 3rd-round pick + Terrance Williams
Proposal No. 5: S Xavier Woods + 4th round pick
Proposal No. 6: CB Jourdan Lewis + 5th-round pick

toffee

Reaction score
adeltaY":fsl5rhze said:
Dallas is fine with Jeff Heath at safety? How would Thomas not be a significant upgrade?

Girls are just being stupid, they are disrespecting our Earl with a 2nd rounder, no doubt follow with an el cheapo long term contract offer that totally fails to respect and reflect our Earl as the best FS in the league, a HOF all pro in his prime. With insults like this, Earl will run into another tunnel asking for 'come get me' soon.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
toffee":2n8eiq5u said:
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/31/dallas-cowboys-earl-thomas-six-trade-proposals/
Six proposals:

I would do all of these....

Cowboynation

Reaction score
adeltaY":2dgxzavn said:
Dallas is fine with Jeff Heath at safety? How would Thomas not be a significant upgrade?

No, but the defense needs so much more than an almost 30 Earl Thomas that will cost at least a 3rd round pick plus a massive contract. This all for a safety (and yes, a great one). He is a definite upgrade at the position. Interior line play is horrid.

The team in general is 3 or more years from contending as I believe Dak is a massive question mark after watching him flounder last season without Zeke. The team has few weapons outside of Zeke, and we will see if Dak can burn defenses attacking against the run.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Cowboynation":1w0p72ch said:
adeltaY":1w0p72ch said:

No, but the defense needs so much more than an almost 30 Earl Thomas that will cost at least a 3rd round pick plus a massive contract. This all for a safety (and yes, a great one). He is a definite upgrade at the position. Interior line play is horrid.

The team in general is 3 or more years from contending as I believe Dak is a massive question mark after watching him flounder last season without Zeke. The team has few weapons outside of Zeke, and we will see if Dak can burn defenses attacking against the run.

I’ve never been impressed by Jason Garrett. He seems like the biggest issue holding the team back, and by extension Jerry Jones for wanting a weak personality as HC.

Cowboynation

Reaction score
I’ve never been impressed by Jason Garrett. He seems like the biggest issue holding the team back, and by extension Jerry Jones for wanting a weak personality as HC.[/quote]

Jason is not very popular with most Cowboys fans, but my main beef is Skeletor in the owner's box. His idol is Al Davis, and he runs the team like he will live another 40 years. The Cowboys have won two playoff games since 1996, and gotten only as far as the divisional round. There are so many Cowboy fans convinced the team is on the verge of another dynasty. I just laugh and nod my head.

Jerry likes to be the face of the franchise and for the media to care about what he says. He prefers a weak personality because he likes hogging the spotlight.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1ztgp796 said:
Cowboynation":1ztgp796 said:
adeltaY":1ztgp796 said:

I’ve never been impressed by Jason Garrett. He seems like the biggest issue holding the team back, and by extension Jerry Jones for wanting a weak personality as HC.

I'm not impressed by Jerry Jones. He's the main reason the Cowboys haven't been in the Superbowl since the 1995 season.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":z6g4ojo6 said:
adeltaY":z6g4ojo6 said:

Girls are just being stupid, they are disrespecting our Earl with a 2nd rounder, no doubt follow with an el cheapo long term contract offer that totally fails to respect and reflect our Earl as the best FS in the league, a HOF all pro in his prime. With insults like this, Earl will run into another tunnel asking for 'come get me' soon.
Earl is not worth more than a second in this climate. Vaccaro, Reid, Mitchell, and Boston (?) are still on the market. All are very good safeties. The truth of the matter is free safeties aren't very valuable at this moment, and Thomas brings with him some question marks concerning retirement. He was contemplating retiring on social media right up until Berry got his big pay day. What is his dedication to the game these days? These are all questions that teams are surely asking themselves.

Once they trade for him, what kind of money is he looking for? He almost surely will not command Eric Berry money in this environment, which is what he is looking for. His asking price has to also be taken into consideration when it comes to trades. Do you want a 75 million dollar free safety that is entering his 30s very shortly? I'm don't think any team is willing to pay that in this climate with a surplus of good safeties available. I think Earl Thomas is pricing himself out of the market, he needs to give up the notion of being paid like Eric Berry.

If Thomas was smart he would be playing out the final year on his contract, hoping that the market is less tepid for safeties come free agency. Right now Earl Thomas is playing himself. He has no leverage at this point in time. Even if the Seahawks safeties weren't good, what is to stop them from going out and getting one of the free agents? He has nothing to gain from this, and a lot more to lose. A businessman Earl is not. Either that or his agent is an idiot.

toffee

Reaction score
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ks-holdout

Earl has spoken, thousands of words, but one could summarized into a country song:

Please release me, let me go
For I don't love you anymore
To waste our lives would be a sin
Release me and let me love again

I have found a new love, dear
And I will always want her near
Her lips are warm while yours are cold
Release me, my darling, let me go

Please release me, can't you see
You'd be a fool to cling to me
To live a lie would bring us pain
So release me and let me love again
(Let me love, let me love)

Earl sounded just like Loretta Lynn
[youtube]Zaf_7a9PsM0[/youtube]

Needless to say Earl forgot to mention he initiated the divorce by 'come get me', also forgot that he has a contract with the Hawks, nor remember his agent on his behalf promised that he will be at camp. He also failed to remember his excellent work was rewarded by his team with a contract that made him the highest paid safety when he signed it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
toffee":3mr5a0g2 said:
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/31/dallas-cowboys-earl-thomas-six-trade-proposals/
Six proposals:

All I accept is the #1.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3tef0kp8 said:
toffee":3tef0kp8 said:
adeltaY":3tef0kp8 said:

Earl is not worth more than a second in this climate. Vaccaro, Reid, Mitchell, and Boston (?) are still on the market. All are very good safeties. The truth of the matter is free safeties aren't very valuable at this moment, and Thomas brings with him some question marks concerning retirement. He was contemplating retiring on social media right up until Berry got his big pay day. What is his dedication to the game these days? These are all questions that teams are surely asking themselves.

Once they trade for him, what kind of money is he looking for? He almost surely will not command Eric Berry money in this environment, which is what he is looking for. His asking price has to also be taken into consideration when it comes to trades. Do you want a 75 million dollar free safety that is entering his 30s very shortly? I'm don't think any team is willing to pay that in this climate with a surplus of good safeties available. I think Earl Thomas is pricing himself out of the market, he needs to give up the notion of being paid like Eric Berry.

If Thomas was smart he would be playing out the final year on his contract, hoping that the market is less tepid for safeties come free agency. Right now Earl Thomas is playing himself. He has no leverage at this point in time. Even if the Seahawks safeties weren't good, what is to stop them from going out and getting one of the free agents? He has nothing to gain from this, and a lot more to lose. A businessman Earl is not. Either that or his agent is an idiot.

Boston signed a 1 year deal with the Cardinals worth at most $3 million and likely much less. This was after he called their original offer "insulting." But yes, the safety market is ice cold. Would teams love a player like Earl Thomas? Sure. Would they love him enough to pay him top dollar PLUS adequate trade value to play a position that is currently not valued highly? Clearly not.

I still say his best move would be to get a handshake deal with the team that they A) will trade him if they do get a decent offer and B) will not franchise him next year, and then treat the final year of his contract like a one-year "prove it" deal. He's more likely to get a big contract as a free agent in 2019 than have a team trade for him AND give him a big contract this year.

Come in, Earl, and show the world you're worth the kind of money you're looking for. Maybe you do deserve a contract extension this year, but it's not going to happen. Earn one next year.

RCATES

Reaction score
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ks-holdout

My take on Earl's letter. Do I think Earl Thomas is the same player he was 3-5 years ago? Absolutely not. Anyone with eye's and a little football knowledge can see that ET has slowed down and doesn't play with the fire he once did. He want's two things. 1. The biggest money contract of his career. 2. Full injury guarantee's. Because of inflation and rising contracts in the league I think Seattle will budge and give in to #1. But no way they do #2. Hawks experienced that disaster with Kam. No way they do it again. Earl thinks he's better then ever. Well Earl please tell us why the other 31 teams in the league aren't offering anything significant for a trade? It's simple. You're a 29 year old safety with a lot of wear and tear who's slowed down and simply not worth it.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The article is really ironic. He tries to share why he's holding out with the hopes that it will get him what he wants, but really he makes the point as to why the Seahawks shouldn't/won't budget... He cites his two friends Sherman/Kam, both of which became more injury prone with age and become worth far less than their contracts.

Hawks have dead money into Kam for the next few years.

More ironic is that Kam got paid once he actually showed up and contributed. Earl is getting bad advice..

From his point of view, I get it, but it's a broken system for the players. Don't get upset at the owners/gms, get upset at whoever negotiated your contract with the owners. The ONLY chance Earl has at getting what he wants, is to show up and do his job, show the team and league that he is still invaluable. OR, wait and hope a contender loses a FS in the first few weeks.

Latest posts