Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":cnux5am2 said:
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/earl-thomas-seahawks-holdout.

Ahh, the martyr approach. I'm doing this for ALL the players in the league everyone!!

This is what rich people don't understand, you will NEVER..............and I mean NEVER attract empathy or sympathy from the public. You make more in one year than 99% of us will make in a lifetime.

Earl also contradicts himself. He says he understood early with Lofa's release that this is a cold hard business, yet he wants the Hawks to be loyal to him and give him more money for what he's done for them?

Nope.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny when they try to act like some poor victim. They don't complain when their last contract made them one of or the highest paid at their position. A few years later, they are "disrespected"
Must be soooooo rough making millions to play a sport. I love ya Earl, but enough already.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I defended Earl against everyone clutching their pearls over Comegetmegate, but I'm rapidly losing sympathy for him. I don't think he has a problem "being here", I just think he has a problem with wanting more money.

However...I agree with Rob Staton's take:

‘Just trade him’ comes down to a team making a fair offer. The Seahawks can’t force Dallas to offer a second or third round pick. Seattle paid a second rounder for Sheldon Richardson and a 2+3 for Duane Brown. You can’t blame them for wanting a similar offer for a better player.

So it’s time for Thomas to aim his frustration at the team he wants to join, not the team currently willing to use him in 2018.

Seymour

Reaction score
How is that home sale going Earl? Your article does nothing for me. It's a little late in the game to be doubling back isn't it? Funny how he's trying to bring the 12's back to his side after disrespecting the entire organization. And sink a huge investment into Mr retire at the first sign of injury? Pete, Paul, and John are not that stupid....time to move along.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Earl's implication that he signed his last contract at a discount to keep the Legion together is an outright lie.

He signed the richest contract for a safety at the time. How is THAT taking a discount!!

The hole that he is digging is just getting deeper.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
That article is all the recycled tropes from every player holdout in NFL history.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
My thought was, didn't the Seahawks already show loyalty? When Earl broke his leg, they didn't cut him, they stuck with him. They stuck with him while (at the time) being on the largest safety contract in the NFL. I know, this probably doesn't hold up as he probably still had guaranteed money coming to him, but still. :D

Didn't they show loyalty before:

The Seattle Seahawks have locked down hard-hitting safety Earl Thomas long term.

Schein: Why Seattle won't repeat
Can the Seahawks become the first back-to-back champs since the 2003-04 Patriots? Adam Schein doesn't think so. READ
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Monday that the Seahawks and Thomas agreed to a blockbuster four-year contract extension worth $40 million with $27.725 guaranteed, per a source informed of the situation. The pact includes a $9.5 million signing bonus, according to a source involved. In all, the deal will make Thomas easily the highest-paid safety in the NFL.

But now.... after all that, you pull the "I might want to retire", and the Come Get Me fiasco with the Cowgirls, and now the hold out, we're still talking about loyalty? Ok.

That article just came across as whining and self absorbed.

canucklehead

Reaction score
No matter how great a player he "could be" seems to me Earl's value to Hawks is net negative.

In a return scenario, Earl arrives at the bitter conclusion that the only guarantee money available to him is the $$ in contract and comes back disgruntled and resentful.

Becomes dressing room poison to a young team that currently has an A vibe going.

Starting to look like lose lose proposition.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
canucklehead":2l6v16yc said:
Becomes dressing room poison to a young team that currently has an A vibe going.

How can Earl be a locker room poison if he's not here? Ask any player what their day to day preparation is like when a player is holding out or injured and not there............they'll say "out of sight out of mind."

Earl's teammates of course want him here, he makes the defense better. But that's football, next man up, we're moving on.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Earl may have already played his last game in the NFL. I think neither side is going to budge.

canucklehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yh09txz said:
How can Earl be a locker room poison if he's not here? .

Agreed.... only poison pen if he remains out.

Locker room poison is if no trade is possible and he realizes he's screwed and has no choice but to end hold out. He's an emotional dude and will not be a happy camper.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39oel1oi said:
canucklehead":39oel1oi said:

How can Earl be a locker room poison if he's not here? Ask any player what their day to day preparation is like when a player is holding out or injured and not there............they'll say "out of sight out of mind."

Earl's teammates of course want him here, he makes the defense better. But that's football, next man up, we're moving on.

Why did you cut off the previous sentence?

He stated "in a return scenario." The answer is in your cutoff sentence.

canucklehead":39oel1oi said:
No matter how great a player he "could be" seems to me Earl's value to Hawks is net negative.

In a return scenario, Earl arrives at the bitter conclusion that the only guarantee money available to him is the $$ in contract and comes back disgruntled and resentful.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The team wants him to do his job and only make the $8.5 million he agreed to be paid. Poor multi-millionaire. :(

Don’t extend him unless he returns to the team, stays healthy, and plays well. Certainly don’t give in to a demand to be traded, unless we can get value back. Just sit on his contract until he decides he wants to play and make some money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2i2ndol9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2i2ndol9 said:
canucklehead":2i2ndol9 said:

canucklehead":2i2ndol9 said:

My bad, poor reading comprehension.

It's a fair point..........and if Earl comes back and does a Sherman where he's being negative and divisive, then Pete will deal with it then.

But if Earl does that, he's not helping his cause for being attractive to another team. He needs to be a model player and ball out, only then will other teams consider paying what the Hawks are asking.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Just remember that both teams and players use the public primarily as leverage in negotiation and so their statements should not really be taken at face value. Both sides say stupid stuff in order to move the goal posts.

I think Earl understands the position of the FO just fine, but he also knows that we have a gap at safety and Pete would really like to win this year. Earl's holdout hurts our chances to win and that creates a strong incentive for the FO to resolve the holdout either by trade or an extension.

I don't think the FO is going to just give in to Earl's demands due to concerns about precedents in future years, but it's a losing proposition for the team in either case and they could very well take less for him in a trade than they would otherwise.

canucklehead

Reaction score
AgentDib":3rhy5zom said:
..... they could very well take less for him in a trade than they would otherwise.

I feel like this is the least bad option.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":347q37fw said:
Seymour":347q37fw said:
Sgt. Largent":347q37fw said:
canucklehead":347q37fw said:

canucklehead":347q37fw said:

My bad, poor reading comprehension.

It's a fair point..........and if Earl comes back and does a Sherman where he's being negative and divisive, then Pete will deal with it then.

But if Earl does that, he's not helping his cause for being attractive to another team. He needs to be a model player and ball out, only then will other teams consider paying what the Hawks are asking.

Exactly why I posted that, because I agree it is a fair and pretty logical point. :2thumbs:

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
"I wish I was at a camp right now — and I’m talking right now. I’m ready. I’ve been preparing my body all off-season to be at an NFL camp.

All I want is to be out there playing. Instead I’m here working out … and waiting" Earl Thomas

LOL, uh, then why not show up? Hes starting to sound like a woman that says nothings wrong!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks said:
"I wish I was at a camp right now — and I’m talking right now. I’m ready. I’ve been preparing my body all off-season to be at an NFL camp.

All I want is to be out there playing. Instead I’m here working out … and waiting" Earl Thomas

LOL, uh, then why not show up? Hes starting to sound like a woman that says nothings wrong![/quote

At an nfl camp but not seahawks camp...

Latest posts