Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1udpdkwu said:
Earl is done...He can stick it where the sun doesn't shine!

When you add up all the BS he's done starting with Wagner last season. Earl is acting like an ass.

Cowboynation

Reaction score
Hi Seahawks fans , I figured I would give you an opinion on this topic from the other side. There are lots of Cowboys fans that are convinced that ET is the difference between getting to the NFCCG and an 8 win season. I don't see it, but then I'm not delusional about the Cowboys' chances.

I'm also okay with not acquiring ET, and having a crappy season as it would finally end Jason Garrett's time with Dallas. Plus the contract to keep that guy will eat such a big chunk of the cap that could be rolled over till you are actually ready to contend (and at his age and injury history it makes the deal scary).

My general thought is that Seattle's front office is trying to play hardball with a core player in the hopes that he comes back with open arms and willing attitude OR in hopes that a desperate and knuckle-headed gm will offer too much to get his rights. That would be Jerry Jones, though he doesn't get to make all those decisions unilaterally now. The Joey Galloway trade still stings.

If that is the case then Seattle should just take a third rounder for ET from any team and be done with it. I doubt that Seattle comes close to winning the division and likely does not make the playoffs. The organization is in rebuild, no matter what their public statements are. They gutted the defense and will get rid of most of the dead money soon. A trade for a third rounder would guarantee a top 100 pick which is not guaranteed if they think the compensatory pick is the same (or guaranteed). A few things that might hurt Seattle in this worse than others is an injury to ET. Or maybe he reports back after 4-6 games plays meh and gets a one year prove it deal and Seattle gets a 4-5th comp in 2020. I highly doubt they would use the franchise tag unless he plays all the games at a high level.

Hopefully, I'm wrong on both teams record prediction. Good luck this season!

toffee

Reaction score
All teams out there:

Our Earl is a totally healthy hall of famer at this prime, best free safety in the league bar none. He's the player that made Seattle Seahawks defense click with his supernatural insights and abilities. He eats drinks football and football contracts 24x7 with no other hobbies or life.

Please, owners, GMs, HCs, our Earl is a STEAL at a 1st + 4th round pick, no doubt about it, satisfaction guaranteed. Don't believe toffee? Txt Sherm, he will confirm.

No more time wasting 3rd round nonsense, 1st+4th, steal of the decade. Call John Schneider!

Trust me and Sherm.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Cowboynation":2k2fv4p4 said:
Hi Seahawks fans , I figured I would give you an opinion on this topic from the other side. There are lots of Cowboys fans that are convinced that ET is the difference between getting to the NFCCG and an 8 win season. I don't see it, but then I'm not delusional about the Cowboys' chances.

I'm also okay with not acquiring ET, and having a crappy season as it would finally end Jason Garrett's time with Dallas. Plus the contract to keep that guy will eat such a big chunk of the cap that could be rolled over till you are actually ready to contend (and at his age and injury history it makes the deal scary).

My general thought is that Seattle's front office is trying to play hardball with a core player in the hopes that he comes back with open arms and willing attitude OR in hopes that a desperate and knuckle-headed gm will offer too much to get his rights. That would be Jerry Jones, though he doesn't get to make all those decisions unilaterally now. The Joey Galloway trade still stings.

If that is the case then Seattle should just take a third rounder for ET from any team and be done with it. I doubt that Seattle comes close to winning the division and likely does not make the playoffs. The organization is in rebuild, no matter what their public statements are. They gutted the defense and will get rid of most of the dead money soon. A trade for a third rounder would guarantee a top 100 pick which is not guaranteed if they think the compensatory pick is the same (or guaranteed). A few things that might hurt Seattle in this worse than others is an injury to ET. Or maybe he reports back after 4-6 games plays meh and gets a one year prove it deal and Seattle gets a 4-5th comp in 2020. I highly doubt they would use the franchise tag unless he plays all the games at a high level.

Hopefully, I'm wrong on both teams record prediction. Good luck this season!
If there is one thing our front office can do, it's assemble a defense. The LOB took two years to put together from the team that went 5-11.

The LOB was assembled from other teams' throwaway players plus Earl Thomas and some no-name guys who failed to meet prototype measurables.

We don't have Earl, but we have a lot of hungry young players and a coach who knows how to use them.

Whether you want to call it "gutted" or "rebuilding" or whatever, we'll be back before you know it.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Success rate league-wide for a 3rd round pick is low. Earl Thomas provides much more value than that. Just the hope that he will return to the team is worth more than a 3rd round pick. Then there is the franchise tag and the possibility of negotiating a fair extension.

Cowboynation

Reaction score
hawknation2018":37hj0bi1 said:
Success rate league-wide for a 3rd round pick is low. Earl Thomas provides much more value than that. Just the hope that he will return to the team is worth more than a 3rd round pick. Then there is the franchise tag and the possibility of negotiating a fair extension.

That is best case scenario for the Seahawks, but by the sound of things Earl is not going to be playing happy or all that motivated. Maybe the quick removal of so many familiar faces that won a SB together, and the fact the team did not want to extend him for market value in a contract season is insult enough to dig his heels in. This will likely end with Thomas playing a relatively poor shortened season, and the Seahawks watching him leave in free agency to sign a mediocre deal (4th or 5th round comp in 2020).

His trade value will not continue to rise (Seahawks are hoping for a SB contending team to suddenly have a significant need at safety and be seeking to give a second rounder or better plus an enormous contract. Just don't see that happening for that position - no matter how good he is. Then again Jerry Jones has done dumber things.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cowboynation":1sx4nh46 said:
hawknation2018":1sx4nh46 said:

That is best case scenario for the Seahawks, but by the sound of things Earl is not going to be playing happy or all that motivated. Maybe the quick removal of so many familiar faces that won a SB together, and the fact the team did not want to extend him for market value in a contract season is insult enough to dig his heels in. This will likely end with Thomas playing a relatively poor shortened season, and the Seahawks watching him leave in free agency to sign a mediocre deal (4th or 5th round comp in 2020).

His trade value will not continue to rise (Seahawks are hoping for a SB contending team to suddenly have a significant need at safety and be seeking to give a second rounder or better plus an enormous contract. Just don't see that happening for that position - no matter how good he is. Then again Jerry Jones has done dumber things.

In the words of the famous Inigo Montoya.............."I do not think that word means what you think it means."

You just explained the worst case scenario, not the best. The best case scenario is Earl comes back either at the beginning of the season, or after week 10, balls out and shows the league that he's healthy and still in his prime.

Then next off season someone gives us a higher draft pick and he gets an extension elsewhere.

THAT'S the best case scenario, for all involved.

Seymour

Reaction score
Cowboynation":17jw4bgm said:
hawknation2018":17jw4bgm said:

Pretty sad that a 2 post Cowboys fan has better insight and perspective then some fans here on the Thomas situation.

You are correct! There will be no extension for Thomas, and the only reason we'd tag him is to trade him.

getnasty

Reaction score
Am I the only one that wouldn't mind extending him for a couple more years? Of course it can't be a ludacris contract but I would have a problem with him play 4 more years here. Earl seems like the kind of guy that will age really well and even if he takes a step back he'll still be a top 5 safety in the league at maybe the most important position in our defense. If there trading him I'd try to get Taco Charlton out of Dallas or a minimum a 2nd round pick.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oi183p4 said:
Cowboynation":3oi183p4 said:
hawknation2018":3oi183p4 said:

In the words of the famous Inigo Montoya.............."I do not think that word means what you think it means."

You just explained the worst case scenario, not the best. The best case scenario is Earl comes back either at the beginning of the season, or after week 10, balls out and shows the league that he's healthy and still in his prime.

Then next off season someone gives us a higher draft pick and he gets an extension elsewhere.

It is the best case scenario . . . for the Cowboys.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":1v2l22pd said:
Am I the only one that wouldn't mind extending him for a couple more years? Of course it can't be a ludacris contract but I would have a problem with him play 4 more years here. Earl seems like the kind of guy that will age really well and even if he takes a step back he'll still be a top 5 safety in the league at maybe the most important position in our defense. If there trading him I'd try to get Taco Charlton out of Dallas or a minimum a 2nd round pick.

I do think our FO had this conversation with Earl telling him they'd be willing to do a shorter more team friendly extension.

He's hell bent on an Eric Berry monster extension, and no one wants to give it to him. So that'll be his decision going forward...........whether he wants to continue down this road of holdouts, possible franchise tags and shortening his career by not playing, or seeing what his REAL value is here, and on other teams.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":s041v66o said:
Cowboynation":s041v66o said:
hawknation2018":s041v66o said:

Pretty sad that a 2 post Cowboys fan has better insight and perspective then some fans here on the Thomas situation.

You are correct! There will be no extension for Thomas, and the only reason we'd tag him is to trade him.

That's wishful thinking by a Cowboys fan.

Earl Thomas only knows how to play 100% full speed. He's not going to play any worse, unless the missed practice time leads to some rust in the early going of the season, which we have seen before.

Trading a player on the franchise tag is extremely difficult. It hardly ever happens that way. Extensions on the franchise tag are much more common. The franchise tag becomes a placeholder that forces both parties to the negotiating table.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At this point, I hope they don't cave in at all. Either play under your current contract, or sit until another team gets desperate for a Safety and is willing to pay what the Hawks want.

Jville

Reaction score
Does this sound familiar?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1024334870267486211[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Hmmm. Why would they be talking to "Mack's camp", is he out in the woods somewhere? :?: :snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3cbcxu90 said:
At this point, I hope they don't cave in at all. Either play under your current contract, or sit until another team gets desperate for a Safety and is willing to pay what the Hawks want.

We won't cave, cause the risk is worth the reward.

The risk is Earl comes back, plays terrible or gets hurt again, leaves next year and we don't get a 3rd or 4th rounder as offered. The reward is he comes back either right before the season starts, or by week 10, balls out showing the league he can stay healthy and he's still in his prime...............and his value is increased.

Believe me, there will be some playoff caliber teams either this mid-season or next season that will have their starting safeties injured and in desperate need of a player like Earl to come in and kick ass.

That's the kind of leverage that elevates a players trade value, desperation and immediacy.

Cowboynation

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31k8v507 said:
Cowboynation":31k8v507 said:
hawknation2018":31k8v507 said:

Sorry-some of the posters still seem to have me confused with a Cowboys fan that really wants Earl Thomas on the Dallas Cowboys. I'm a Cowboys fan that really wants to have a resolution to the rumors so that the story finally ends. I do not feel like he significantly helps with the Cowboys ultimate goal in winning meaningful playoff games this season or next (nor do I feel he does that for the Seahawks-which is why this trade will likely be for little more than a 3rd). Let's say for a moment that Earl Thomas does report before the season begins and plays lights out and is the perfect teammate. Do you think he does not understand that it will lead to the franchise tag or accept a deal that heavily favors the Seahawks? I think the reason that he is holding out is that he knows what the Seahawks are planning on doing after this season as long as he balls out for the bulk of the season. They have no intention of extending him for close to the money he wants guaranteed.

I'm sure his agent has informed him of this, but he probably can see what happens around the league in these deals. In my opinion, the best case scenario for the Seahawks is to reach an extension with ET that is somewhere between $11-12M/season with like $35-40M guaranteed. He comes back ready to play and coach up the young secondary components already in place. Trading him for more than a 3rd will take a desperate team and dumb GM. It's happened before though-so maybe. My opinion is that the front office should grab the 3rd and get ready for the season and hope for better draft position in the next draft to really re-load.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Cowboynation":1ljnbahf said:
Sgt. Largent":1ljnbahf said:
Cowboynation":1ljnbahf said:
hawknation2018":1ljnbahf said:

Sorry-some of the posters still seem to have me confused with a Cowboys fan that really wants Earl Thomas on the Dallas Cowboys. I'm a Cowboys fan that really wants to have a resolution to the rumors so that the story finally ends. I do not feel like he significantly helps with the Cowboys ultimate goal in winning meaningful playoff games this season or next (nor do I feel he does that for the Seahawks-which is why this trade will likely be for little more than a 3rd). Let's say for a moment that Earl Thomas does report before the season begins and plays lights out and is the perfect teammate. Do you think he does not understand that it will lead to the franchise tag or accept a deal that heavily favors the Seahawks? I think the reason that he is holding out is that he knows what the Seahawks are planning on doing after this season as long as he balls out for the bulk of the season. They have no intention of extending him for close to the money he wants guaranteed.

I'm sure his agent has informed him of this, but he probably can see what happens around the league in these deals. In my opinion, the best case scenario for the Seahawks is to reach an extension with ET that is somewhere between $11-12M/season with like $35-40M guaranteed. He comes back ready to play and coach up the young secondary components already in place. Trading him for more than a 3rd will take a desperate team and dumb GM. It's happened before though-so maybe. My opinion is that the front office should grab the 3rd and get ready for the season and hope for better draft position in the next draft to really re-load.

So you think Earl Thomas would intentionally play poorly? If that's your opinion, then I don't think you know much about Earl Thomas.

I actually think the Seahawks are willing to make Thomas the highest paid safety in the NFL, once again, assuming Thomas stays healthy and proves he is dedicated to football. But they're not willing to do it until after this season. They need to make sure he is healthy and committed to football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
1. There's absolutely no way in hell that Earl doesn't play full on like he always does. It's the only way he has ever played and that won't change.
2. If you think that he won't help the Cowboys, you clearly don't know how incredible this guy is. He's a flat out game changer and the Cowboys would immediately become a better team w/him. Not to mention, he WANTS to go home and play for Dallas.