Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

toffee

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1e2lxuxv said:
OK, to clarify, Earl's representatives told JS that he wouldn't hold out. That's when Pete got fired up on camera saying, "Heck yeah, I don't know what everyone's talking about. He's on our roster and we're counting on him," etc, etc, etc.

Then Pete pretty much said the same after he wasn't traded after the draft.

Should have traded him, fools.

Once a traitor, always a traitor??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
For those who haven't looked into this, each missed game check will cost Earl a cool half million.

toffee

Reaction score
Any seller wanting to get more for his services, product, etc MUST make whatever he is pitching more attractive to potential buyers. Once every buyer wanted to buy, than one have leverage to play one against another to get the highest result.

Our Earl with input perhaps from Sherm has done the just the opposite:

Piss off one buyer, Hawks, by “come get me” and “I’ll come to camp” then no show.

Surrender leverage on another buyer, Cowboys, by “come get me”.

Make himself undesirable to all other suitors with “come get me”. If you were a HC, would you risk on a player who may one day make you look like you have lost the locker room?

With such moves, all designed to make himself less desirable, our hall of fame FS in or close to his prime, couldn’t even attract a second round pick on own market, Whoever advising for those moves is costing him millions.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":tm3wy4iw said:
Any seller wanting to get more for his services, product, etc MUST make whatever he is pitching more attractive to potential buyers. Once every buyer wanted to buy, than one have leverage to play one against another to get the highest result.

Piss off one buyer, Hawks, by “come get me” and “I’ll come to camp” then no show.

Make himself undesirable to all other suitors with “come get me”. If you were a HC, would you risk on a player who may one day make you look like you have lost the locker room?

With such moves, all designed to make himself less desirable, our hall of fame FS in or close to his prime, couldn’t even attract a second round pick on own market, Whoever advising for those moves is costing him millions.

Except if he gets a contract he is securing millions whether he can play or not if he is targtetting the Kam type contract. Remember most these no shows are forgiven in their fines once they settle.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I want Earl to be re-signed but threats are the wrong way to go about it.

This makes me want to see K.J. Wright be re-signed first. Showing up is important.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":b3fzdp5r said:
toffee":b3fzdp5r said:

Except if he gets a contract he is securing millions whether he can play or not if he is targtetting the Kam type contract. Remember most these no shows are forgiven in their fines once they settle.
by narrowing his market appeal, he wouldn’t get what he could.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I personally don't want to see this happen at all, but what if they just cut him? If the culture change/realignment is as prominent as some are saying, wouldn't that be a powerful move? They gave away Mike B for very little compensation and cut Sherman straight up (injuries played a factor with him, though). There's no dead money for releasing ET now, right?

Our other options are to trade, extend, franchise tag, or let him walk. Setting aside franchise tag (never done it before) and extending (could happen?), our options yield limited rewards. We hope we can get a 3rd round comp pick in 2020, but we told ourselves that about Sheldon and Jimmy and we got nothing. It depends on what FAs we sign and the contract Earl signs with his new team. Trading him now, I don't see us getting more than a 2019 4th.

So, if we cut him, the FO sends a strong message at the cost of a 2020 3rd (optimistic projection) or a 2019 4th and we incur no dead money (or 500K? not sure). Would that be worth it?

Jville

Reaction score
^^^

Per OTC ....... the dead cap money that would be incurred via outright release would be $1,900,000.
However, the accompanying cap savings to be realized would be $8,500,000.

Seattle easily leads all other teams in position cost at safety at $27,672,136.

Earl Thomas is currently scheduled to receive $1,700,000 more in salary checks this year than Kam Chancellor.

It's early in the process. We are only talking about a couple upcoming OTAs. A great opportunity for 4 alternatives to get additional coaching.

AgentDib

Reaction score
adeltaY":3du67qjy said:
So, if we cut him, the FO sends a strong message at the cost of a 2020 3rd (optimistic projection) or a 2019 4th and we incur no dead money (or 500K? not sure). Would that be worth it?
What message are you talking about? That if you don't like your current contract you just have to not show up and then we'll tear it up for you? Earl would much rather be a UFA right now than have a single non-guaranteed year in which he could get injured.

edogg23

Reaction score
Every sentence in his letter starts with the word I. Guess what Earl, no team is knocking down the door to make you the highest paid safety in the league. Hope you come to your senses before you lose a bunch of money and come crawling back to the field and get yourself injured due to holding out.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Jville":31ubejsn said:
^^^

Per OTC ....... the dead cap money that would be incurred via outright release would be $1,900,000.
However, the accompanying cap savings to be realized would be $8,500,000.

Seattle easily leads all other teams in position cost at safety at $27,672,136.

Earl Thomas is currently scheduled to receive $1,700,000 more in salary checks this year than Kam Chancellor.

It's early in the process. We are only talking about a couple upcoming OTAs. A great opportunity for 4 alternatives to get additional coaching.

This isn't a bad idea.. the cap savings is worth it. Not like he's re signing here anyway. We should be able to get a 3rd and 4th rd for him though . Hopefully they get a trade done and get the last distraction off this team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3vr3s833 said:
For those who haven't looked into this, each missed game check will cost Earl a cool half million.
That’s why he won’t be missing any games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":1z7j5p2q said:
vin.couve12":1z7j5p2q said:
OK, to clarify, Earl's representatives told JS that he wouldn't hold out. That's when Pete got fired up on camera saying, "Heck yeah, I don't know what everyone's talking about. He's on our roster and we're counting on him," etc, etc, etc.

Then Pete pretty much said the same after he wasn't traded after the draft.

Should have traded him, fools.

Once a traitor, always a traitor??

Wow, over react much?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Screw Earl Thomas. He's a hypocrite. "I care about Seattle and want to finish my career here."

Then why did you follow the Dallas Cowboys in to their locker room and say "come get me!"

This is just a money grab with Richard Sherman in his ear. Sherman only has one goal, hurt the Seahawks as much as possible. He doesn't care that Earl is only going to lose money.

And that BS about looking out for his family and future doesn't fly either. Everytime we've given in and renewed a contract early, we've gotten the shaft. Actually, the other players other on the team get the shaft because that's less money for the players that are still here.

There's only so much money in the cap, and when one player takes an unfair portion, that's less for the other 52 players on the roster.

And the idea that they need to be paid up front to protect their future is a manufactured argument. Where is the money to take care of Ricardo Lockette?

What about all of those high school and college players (men and women, ALL sports) who very injured?

Earl already has millions in the bank, why does he deserve more "protection" than most of the other players on the roster.

Plus, he lied. He told his team mates he would be there. Now he's willing to put their successful season at risk so that he can get more of the financial pie than most of the other players on the team?

He saw how Kam's hold out screwed the players and their season. That could have been Superbowl year, but instead we started out 2 - 4! He told his team mates he would come back if they started losing games. And he did. Too little too late.

Kam lost money, and when he came back, he apologized to his team mates.

And the while time he was out, Earl was pining "Kam! Come back!" "I'm lost out there because Kam always studied the film and put us in position!"

No, Earl can suck it. Maybe if he hadn't abandoned his team mates and run in to an opposing teams locker room (while his team mates filed in to theirs), and told the opposing team, "Come get me" I might have some sympathy, but not now.

Ever since then I've wondered, just how hard is Earl playing out there now? Is he pulling up on. Jason Witten so that he doesn't hurt his future team mate?

And screw you Richard Sherman! Don't make excuses and shirk responsibility for your selfish side line actions by blaming being cut on a heartless team dumping an injured player.

If you hadn't shown so much of your ass on the side lines during games, and at press conferences threatening Jim Moore (which he refused to take responsibility for), then ignoring your head coach when he asked you to apologise, you might still be here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":28dyck2x said:
That’s why he won’t be missing any games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Wow, we’re all of you that are this outraged over ET missing mini-camp this pissed when HOF’er Walter Jones did the same thing just about EVERY year? Just curious.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Should have traded him. Sick of Seahawk players doing this crap.

"you cant always get what you want"

adeltaY

Reaction score
When did Earl Thomas himself tell his teammates he was going to come to camp? I know his reps told Schneider he would but that's not the same at all. Earl and Kam holdouts aren't the same. Kam had two years left and Earl has one. Kam was trying to get the Seahawks to break their rule about extensions and ET is not. Huge difference.

Sherman conspiring to hurt the Seahawks??? LOL that's a good one. He's made similar statements about holdouts plenty of times before.

Show a play where Earl pulled up on a Cowboy player or anyone. Strong jilted lover vibes man. How we gonna hate so hard on these guys who brought us our only championship and one of the best defenses of all time? I don't get it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Wow, we’re all of you that were this outraged over ET missing mini-camp this pissed when HOF’er Walter Jones did the same thing? Just curious.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
adeltaY":193xehbe said:
When did Earl Thomas himself tell his teammates he was going to come to camp? I know his reps told Schneider he would but that's not the same at all. Earl and Kam holdouts aren't the same. Kam had two years left and Earl has one. Kam was trying to get the Seahawks to break their rule about extensions and ET is not. Huge difference.

Sherman conspiring to hurt the Seahawks??? LOL that's a good one. He's made similar statements about holdouts plenty of times before.

Show a play where Earl pulled up on a Cowboy player or anyone. Strong jilted lover vibes man. How we gonna hate so hard on these guys who brought us our only championship and one of the best defenses of all time? I don't get it.
Great post. :2thumbs: