Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3qv96nr0 said:
This is a lose/lose situation for Seattle and Earl.

I personally still like Earl, but, Earl saw what happened to Kam and Sherm and wants to lock something in now before it's too late and he possibly gets a big injury ending his season right before his current contract is set to expire and his now getting way older.

I get why Thomas is doing this and harbor him no ill will.

Why is this a "lose/lose?"

are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties?

hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
We're not about to pay Earl what he is probably thinking he's worth. He's on a contract and needs to honor it, otherwise, kick rocks. Earl has seen how the guys that didnt believe in the system have been shipped out and that is the only reason he is saying that he still wants to be a Seahawk, it's obvious that he wants one last payday and believes he still has value in Seattle. His heart isnt with this team, hes proven that with his comments. His boys are gone and hes just trying to get paid.

NJlargent

Reaction score
This is so not surprising. And he only is saying he wants to be a seahawk because that is the professional thing to do. I doubt he wants to actually be a Seahawk

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1bsi5t8w said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1bsi5t8w said:

I personally still like Earl, but, Earl saw what happened to Kam and Sherm and wants to lock something in now before it's too late and he possibly gets a big injury ending his season right before his current contract is set to expire and his now getting way older.

are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties?

hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.
We'll see.

But I imagine Earl does not want his possible last deal to be a "team friendly" discount.

Why would he choose to sign something for less than he's worth?

Earl is a HOF and he still plays like an All-Pro (or least Pro-Bowl) level and should be top 3 highest paid Safeties in the league. Yes, Earl is that good!

Earl doesn't play, Seattle may possibly be 6-10 this year.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Please trade the final distraction on this team. No way can he be signed long term. We would have buyers remorse at max 2 yes. Then just get stuck with a giant contract and diminishing skills with more risk of injury. Time to unload him for what we can get which isn't much....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":yuc4vnel said:
Uncle Si":yuc4vnel said:
TheLegendOfBoom":yuc4vnel said:

We'll see.

But I imagine Earl does not want his possible last deal to be a "team friendly" discount.

Why would he choose to sign something for less than he's worth?

Earl is a HOF and he still plays like an All-Pro (or least Pro-Bowl) level and should be top 3 highest paid Safeties in the league. Yes, Earl is that good!

Earl doesn't play, Seattle may possibly be 6-10 this year.

But that's the reality of any contract.

If he is what he is, All Pro but aging, there is certainly a contract that suits both

rcaido

Reaction score
Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
rcaido":ixpk623y said:
Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.

So Lets say he is demanding top safety money (resetting market), at five years and 70% guaranteed, we should just do that to avoid this hold out? Nah.

Earl is desperate, and getting bad advice. Let’s see if he is really willing to miss actual games, and game checks, not just mini camp. Even if he is, yes it hurts the team, but it hurts him even more. Best thing for him is to not talk (because he says dumb things) and continue to be great on the field.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hawks have all the leverage here since we already know that we aren’t getting anything for him in trade. Let him hold out as long as he wants. He either plays a season for us, or he never plays another down in the NFL (unless the new/2021 CBA changes the rules for accrued seasons).

This announcement confirms that the Hawks have already had discussions with Thomas, and have made whatever offer (possibly nothing) they are going to make. They should stick to their guns.

The loss of Earl won’t be as problematic with a full offseason to plan and practice for life without him as it would be if we lost him mid season.

And this is coming from someone who’s favorite Hawk has been Thomas ever since he came into the league.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
If he misses time, he gets nothing. True hold outs are rare in the NFL because the player just ends up shooting himself in the foot while screwing over his team. Earl is making millions of dollars and will make millions more after this contract if he wants it. I have zero compassion for his “situation.” Do your job.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks need Earl more than Earl needs them. Especially now that they are without Kam. They are very young at corners with Griffin and Flowers. Having a future HOF like Thomas would help. He hasn’t shown a decline in play even after a coming back after a tough injury. He has earned the right to top money. Earl is about as irreplaceable as Russell Wilson is.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
The Seahawks needed to reload or rebuild. Injuries forced them to rebuild but the Seahawks FO is too stubborn to do so. Earl was the last piece to deal to go into full rebuild mode. Now, they are dealing with yet another distraction that could have been avoided.

In order to not be a distraction, the Seahawks should cut off all communications with him and his agent now. The Seahawks need to call around to every team in the NFL. Contact every team and take the best deal available. I don't care if it is a 7th round pick.

I have always loved Earl as a player but the Dallas moment was embarrassing and a precursor to this foreseen development.

toffee

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":a51mfs0x said:
rcaido":a51mfs0x said:

So Lets say he is demanding top safety money (resetting market), at five years and 70% guaranteed, we should just do that to avoid this hold out? Nah.

Earl is desperate, and getting bad advice. Let’s see if he is really willing to miss actual games, and game checks, not just mini camp. Even if he is, yes it hurts the team, but it hurts him even more. Best thing for him is to not talk (because he says dumb things) and continue to be great on the field.

But he is not capable of not talk or so the “come get me” kind of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":trm4557n said:
If he misses time, he gets nothing. True hold outs are rare in the NFL because the player just ends up shooting himself in the foot while screwing over his team. Earl is making millions of dollars and will make millions more after this contract if he wants it. I have zero compassion for his “situation.” Do your job.
this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j hawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks should not be held hostage, both for now and future players. Let him sit no-play no-pay. Move on. Let him miss out on 8 million dollars. I am done with him. Thanks Earl to bad you lost it at the end.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qwlxqjrp said:
Why is this a "lose/lose?" are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties? hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.
I like your optimism here. However, it's very believable that the guaranteed dollars Earl is asking for is a much higher sum than what the Hawks are comfortable paying. Players hold out when there is a significant difference in opinion, not when they are very close to a deal.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I hate being right sometimes. Bargaining power just went to the basement with other teams now. Looks like McDougald, who is listed as a FS, is actually playing FS this year. Competition for SS is where it's at. My guess is it's Alexander.

Should have gotten what you could have gotten for him before, damn it. Sooooo stupid.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There's no way of knowing what the Hawks were offered earlier. The first rounder+ was obviously fake news, and that should call into question why other twitter rumors are being accepted as fact. If Dallas was offering a third round pick then that's what we'll probably end up with for Earl anyway via the compensatory system. If they even offered that; there's not much need for Dallas to trade anything valuable for a player who they can just sign as a free agent next off-season.