Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Remove feelings and you end up with what you can get for an asset that isn't worth paying exponentially more than McDougald. You see what you can get for him because you royally, galactically screwed up the whole scenario. Don't save face, don't act stupid, don't do anything but get the most you can out of trading the asset. If that's the Browns, Bears, Bucs, etc then so be it. Stop acting like an emotional nutjob and get it done, JS/Pete.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
They should extend him ... but not until he shows up. Until then, negotiations should be off. Focus on the players who are here, like K.J.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Between his Dallas shenanigans, and his other behavior last season, I say let him sit out. He has not been a team player for at least one season. Let him rot on the bench as he attempts to get paid. As this off season has proved, right now free safeties aren't exactly a big priority around the league. No one was willing to give up a first when we were actively shopping him. Right now his market isn't that great, he is an absolute fool to sit out at this point. He does not have any leverage to speak of here. He is going to lose a lot of money over his petty behavior.

getnasty

Reaction score
Earl is still the best safety in the league so I wouldn't mind seeing him get extended for 2 more years. I wouldn't give in to him though, take care of the people that show up and let him know you'll take care of him when he shows up.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Compensatory picks are not automatic if you have been watching this season. The team lost some talent losing Graham, both of the Richardson’s, among others without any compensatory pick. It simply depends on how many other players get signed in FA. There is zero guarantee the team will get diddly squat for Thomas if he becomes a FA. Banking on getting anything for Thomas is very uncertain.

I suspect it is quite unlikely the team will pay what Thomas wants, in fact I suspect the team has made that clear and the market value for FS around the league has been falling sharply. This certainly looks to be a situation that may not resolve happily. The less said by the team in their response and reply at this stage is likely best. Once KC foolishly overpaid Eric Berry a situation was created that many other teams are trying to reverse. I just can’t see the Hawks paying that huge contract money to Thomas with other pots on the stove starting to heat up and the something for nothing deal they are eating with Kam. Earl’s comments after that KC deal was announced went from retirement, to “I want some of that”, then commenting on Kam, then to “come get me”, then I’m holding out, I’m not holding out, now his real position is clear. The 12 stuff to me is BS, he doesn’t give a crap, and would rather be in Dallas. Show me the money!

I love Thomas as a player and think he fits our system better than any other. I think he is a All Pro. That said I would NOT pay him Eric Berry money. The team needs to be careful here as there are other expensive deals that need to get done and those players are watching. This situation looks to be one that won’t resolve quickly.

FinNasty

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1bgna5qy said:
We're not about to pay Earl what he is probably thinking he's worth. He's on a contract and needs to honor it, otherwise, kick rocks. Earl has seen how the guys that didnt believe in the system have been shipped out and that is the only reason he is saying that he still wants to be a Seahawk, it's obvious that he wants one last payday and believes he still has value in Seattle. His heart isnt with this team, hes proven that with his comments. His boys are gone and hes just trying to get paid.

Ummmm... he's the best Safety in the game and a HoFer. He IS worth what he's thinking he's worth, lol...

I don't get the mentality of not wanting Earl Thomas to be a Seahawk at all costs. Pay the man... lol

If I'm Earl Thomas... I'd be pissed that we weren't trying to extend him before it got to this point and showing him we value him by making sure he has that security. What were we waiting for? He's one of the most important players on this team...

poly1274

Reaction score
:180670:
FinNasty":24nmfmw1 said:
SpokaneHawks":24nmfmw1 said:
We're not about to pay Earl what he is probably thinking he's worth. He's on a contract and needs to honor it, otherwise, kick rocks. Earl has seen how the guys that didnt believe in the system have been shipped out and that is the only reason he is saying that he still wants to be a Seahawk, it's obvious that he wants one last payday and believes he still has value in Seattle. His heart isnt with this team, hes proven that with his comments. His boys are gone and hes just trying to get paid.

Ummmm... he's the best Safety in the game and a HoFer. He IS worth what he's thinking he's worth, lol...

I don't get the mentality of not wanting Earl Thomas to be a Seahawk at all costs. Pay the man... lol

If I'm Earl Thomas... I'd be pissed that we weren't trying to extend him before it got to this point and showing him we value him by making sure he has that security. What were we waiting for? He's one of the most important players on this team...

So what happens if Wagner or Duane Brown or even Russell Wilson holds out when they still have a year or 2 left on their contract? Do we pay everyone also? The Seahawks gave Kam Chancellor a extension after his 2015 holdout, and that contract extension sure did backfire on them. I bet earl doesn’t get an extension and he holds out this season losing money

poly1274

Reaction score
Question do people really believe Earl Thomas as hofer?? I looked at the numbers he ain’t Charles Woodson

FinNasty

Reaction score
poly1274":didc63hh said:
:180670:
FinNasty":didc63hh said:
SpokaneHawks":didc63hh said:

So what happens if Wagner or Duane Brown or even Russell Wilson holds out when they still have a year or 2 left on their contract? Do we pay everyone also? The Seahawks gave Kam Chancellor a extension after his 2015 holdout, and that contract extension sure did backfire on them. I bet earl doesn’t get an extension and he holds out this season losing money

But Earl Thomas doesn't have a years left on his contract. He's going into his last year. If they are valuable parts of the team, especially a player like ET, you extend them before it even gets to this point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1xbdtnai said:
Earl's instagram post is a framing statement .......................................

The Earl Thomas statement is nothing more than a now standard player agent provided statement ..... i.e. words to frame the narrative. There is little value in those words just as there was little of value in the words that framed the precedent setting Marshawn Lynch statements. In the end, Marshawn got every dime out of Paul Allen on his way to Oakland.

The Marshawn Lynch story set the example of how agents work Paul Allen. The Earl Thomas narrative is simply following the Lynch pattern on the way out of town to his beloved Dallas. In fact, hindsight suggests the Legion of Boom came to be degraded into the Legion of Doom with the Kam Chancellor hold out. Indeed, there are other player agents and players who replicate the Lynch example.

In my eyes, Paul Allen remains hostage to the Lynch precedent. The "timed extortion" of Paul Allen continues to snowball unabated on Allen. Could it further threaten to continue it's destabilizing path by next sweeping up Frank Clark sooner rather than latter?

The Lynch precedent remains a formidable stumbling block to team planing and continuity. Finding answers is a necessary prerequisite to returning as a competitive team. Will they try once again to kick the can down the road? Or will they reveal a solution?

I completely agree, but in the Lynch case the fans wanted a new deal to be made. Your post is absolutely right however. The released statement is BS and a stock agent produced discussion material to promote fan support. Here Earl has pee’d on the team’s shoes with the Dallas come get me comment, lied about showing up, and has destroyed his value. I suspect the majority view is to not budge on renewal with the natural pay the man opponents speaking loud.

I agree with Fade’s comment that the correct response from the team is to freeze him out. Thomas is not underpaid by any stretch.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
poly1274":1wfzgbpy said:
Question do people really believe Earl Thomas as hofer?? I looked at the numbers he ain’t Charles Woodson

Absolutely

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That assessment which I agree with is based upon his past performance and like Kam he has started to lose time to injuries. Can the team expect him to stay healthy over the next four years or so, is any FS worth $75 million with $40 million or more guaranteed? To me he’s sabotaged his own value with this holdout and his offfield behaviour, he certainly at best hasn’t done anything to enhance his value. HOF player or not, sometimes the price to retain is too high. The team saw that with RS and MB and the situation with Kam has brought the 3rd contract thing into a clearer focus.

Seymour

Reaction score
"I want to have certainty in regards to the upcoming years of my career.”

No kidding Earl....don't we all!!

Well I bet that Peter, Paul, and John want some certainty that we do not become the laughing stock of the league for paying top $$ for declining players that either can no longer play, no longer be counted on being healthy, or paying for a player that cannot play to the level he is being compensated to perform to.

LOB = Legion of Blackmail :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
poly1274":l5kay7bp said:

Not a fair comparison, Woodson was a CB for his entire career until 2012. So of course his stats are going to reflect being a corner, more tackles, more picks, etc.

IMO Earl needs 3-4 more productive healthy years to be a HOF shoe in. Right now he's just an amazingly gifted safety who's career wasn't as good as it could have been if he stayed healthy.

He still could get in, because he is a great safety, and is well respected by the league and his peers.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3ahn8zto said:
WindCityHawk":3ahn8zto said:
NFSeahawks628":3ahn8zto said:
mrt144":3ahn8zto said:
He had Jordan Peterson come talk to the guys. Cmon.

He had Jordan Peterson come talk which was the smartest move of all time, too bad it didnt sink enough for them to understand how to be responsible for their own choices and actions.

Overall though for the last 5 years he's let the players dictate his politics. So maybe deep down inside he's more conservative-leaning but for his players sake he's been all about the SJW movement which to many has grown tiresome and pathetic, as it is.

JP is a straight shooter so if you ain't buying that, you got some problems.

Oh right, I remember why I stopped posting here. This board is full of cranky old men. Well, thankfully the world isn't yours anymore, lawl.

No it is ours for another 20 years, you will deal with who we vote for, pay our social security and then our medical costs also. Just deal with it, we spent your inheritence becasue you wouldn't leave the house and wanted to freeload playing your video games in the basement, now your going to complain that we cost you to much to take care of. :)

Il 340x270749466366 aiq4

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
So, this is how the LOB-era ends, as it started, with a Holdout.

Even with Earl Thomas, this defense wasn't going to be better than middle-of-the-road anyway, and his participation was dependent upon his remaining injury-free for a whole season.

Pete and John have cut every other discontented cord this offseason....looks like they have one more to go.

I love Earl. I love Sherm. I love Kam. But those glory days are long behind us now, and it's time to move forward, the sooner, the better. Give his spot to a youngin', and see if they can even begin to fill his shoes, or at least the team will know it needs to invest in that position in next year's draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":1kgpyzgt said:
So, this is how the LOB-era ends, as it started, with a Holdout..

Oh I think it's just beginning.

The Hawks are not going to blink this time. If we couldn't get whatever we wanted for Earl before and during the draft? This changes nothing.

It's not like Pete and John are surprised by this, Earl's discontent over not being given an extension has been brewing for a year.

Plan A was trade Earl for a couple high picks.

Plan B is let him holdout, come back mid season and then franchise his ass..........and this whole circus starts again next off season.

IMO all Earl is hurting is himself. The chances of him coming back in week 6 and playing lights out, not getting hurt and increasing his trade value are slim to none. So all he's doing is lowering his trade value, and guaranteeing this standoff will continue into next year, and maybe even two years. The franchise tag is very team friendly for safeties, it's barely more than he makes now.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Seymour":grnuzo8v said:
"I want to have certainty in regards to the upcoming years of my career.”

No kidding Earl....don't we all!!

Well I bet that Peter, Paul, and John want some certainty that we do not become the laughing stock of the league for paying top $$ for declining players that either can no longer play, no longer be counted on being healthy, or paying for a player that cannot play to the level he is being compensated to perform to.

LOB = Legion of Blackmail :pukeface:

And you feel this describes Earl Thomas???