does Wilson know what step up in the pocket mean?

northseahawk

Reaction score
How could you block for this guy? Just take 2 steps up instead of taking off. Damn it's annoying!

Cartire

Reaction score
People still fail to grasp the vision issues.

formido

Reaction score
I saw him step up into the pocket and immediately get demolished a fair bit today. Did you catch that?

In other news, Russell Wilson is short and New Orleans spends a lot of money on their interior pass blocking. Guess who doesn't.

mrt144

Reaction score
formido":2aentvn2 said:
I saw him step up into the pocket and immediately get demolished a fair bit today. Did you catch that?

In other news, Russell Wilson is short and New Orleans spends a lot of money on their interior pass blocking. Guess who doesn't.

Did you see Sweezy flat on his back in the 4th?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
formido":2ryanhdg said:

Cool idea.

From what part of the team would you like to weaken to make this happen?

We have tons of money locked up in our defense, RB and QB.

Guess what? New Orleans may "spend money" on their interior, but they have weaknesses elsewhere where they dont.

Its how it goes.

Hawks46

Reaction score
mrt144":240b0mgt said:
formido":240b0mgt said:

Like this is new ?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Cartire said:
People still fail to grasp the vision issues.[/quote

How can you not see 300 lb linemen right in front of you ?

Wilson has terrible pocket presence. that is all

scutterhawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":2qthyfkb said:
How could you block for this guy? Just take 2 steps up instead of taking off. Damn it's annoying!
[edited by Moderator]

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawks46":21gjgvgu said:
mrt144":21gjgvgu said:
formido":21gjgvgu said:

Like this is new ?

This one was especially hilarious. Wait for the gif.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3s4ghmlg said:
Cartire":3s4ghmlg said:
People still fail to grasp the vision issues.[/quote

WHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!
Loser :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
A) Stepping up in the pocket is clearly a weak point for RW. There's no debating that.

B) That said, I am weary to fault a QB who is under a constant barrage of attack for not being consistent with things like this. It's similar to people getting pissed about him holding the ball too long and taking sacks. If people truly want RW to simply get rid of the ball before he gets sacked, then you can say ba-bye to many of the big plays that happen in the passing game, when he makes something out of nothing.

Here's the best analogy I can give for RW; he's that weird baseball player who can hit around .300 with 30 HRs but strikes out 175 times a year. While I'm not excusing the sacks, it just kind of comes with the territory. Very few QBs can expertly navigate the pocket and make all the right decisions. While yesterday was an anomaly with INTs, it is really tough to complain much about RW due to his efficiency, big play ability, and lack of boneheaded (game changing) errors.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Watching the 1st half(I fell asleep during half time break)I was suprised to see RW actually trying to use the pocket and making it work!It wasn't perfect but he showed me enough to have hope that he will get better at it.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Largent80":3kur7f0t said:
Do people have to bitch about EVERYTHING?

Same thought occurred to me. Some people just aren't happy unless they aren't happy.

New Orleans spends a lot of money on their interior pass blocking

...and they're in salary cap HELL despite trading away their best receiving option, and losing players left right and center during the offseason in order to right the finance ship. Not the first example I'd go looking for in this particular argument. Not the first option I'd go looking for in any argument about salary distribution, come to think of it.

chawx

Reaction score
So, OP... do we see if GB wants to trade us A-A-ron for RW and some picks? Because realistically, he might be the only other QB in the league capable of not getting himself killed behind this O-Line. Maybe.

People tend to think that someone could do it better than Russ. The truth is, that there is NO ONE capable of making what RW has made out of this O-Line... maybe A-A-ron, like I said before, but even he would be getting pummeled and I don't see him popping back up like Russ does.

So please OP, tell us, besides jettisoning the core of the D-Line to fix the O-Line...what do you suggest we do about Russ failing to step up in the pocket once or twice in a game where we won 20-3?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hawks46":2o3w1ako said:
Cartire":2o3w1ako said:
People still fail to grasp the vision issues.

I'd argue that Wilson has outstanding pocket presence, but that's just me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I find it interesting you say that Codewarrior. How do you come to that conclusion ?

I say Wilson has terrible pocket presence because he doesn't seem to feel the rush very well. What I mean by "feel" is being able to sense a guy coming and move around in the pocket, without taking your eyes off your targets downfield. Wilson routinely scrambles right into rushers with a fairly clean pocket right in front of him.

When he does step up in the pocket, a majority of the time he just pulls the ball down and tries to run with it.

I don't blame Wilson for this. It's one of tougher things a QB has to learn to do. Some guys have it, some don't. Some can learn it and some just can't. I will say this: because of his OL being terrible for so long, I think it's stunted his growth in some areas and this is one of them. You give a rookie QB terrible protection, and he's going to start learning to bail from the pocket early. Especially one as athletically gifted as Wilson. He doesn't HAVE to learn to step up in the pocket because he's able to get production with his legs.

Latest posts