does Wilson know what step up in the pocket mean?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
chawx":80jiwxaa said:
So, OP... do we see if GB wants to trade us A-A-ron for RW and some picks? Because realistically, he might be the only other QB in the league capable of not getting himself killed behind this O-Line. Maybe.

People tend to think that someone could do it better than Russ. The truth is, that there is NO ONE capable of making what RW has made out of this O-Line... maybe A-A-ron, like I said before, but even he would be getting pummeled and I don't see him popping back up like Russ does.

So please OP, tell us, besides jettisoning the core of the D-Line to fix the O-Line...what do you suggest we do about Russ failing to step up in the pocket once or twice in a game where we won 20-3?
Another RW is god guy he is perfect better than Brady better than any QB that has ever lived or ever will.
Dude guy has some faults too it's not just the oline and it's not just this year . Guy fumbled 11 times last year got lucky to get them all back . Eventually luck does run out. Yes the o line is not great but RW has his faults I wish we wouldn't blindly say it's all the oline never ever never ever ever ever ever RW . Its getting to nausea Levels.
His success is based off of team success . Not on his arm or his back or anything like that IMHO

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":s8kon717 said:
Hawks46":s8kon717 said:
Cartire":s8kon717 said:
People still fail to grasp the vision issues.

How can you not see 300 lb linemen right in front of you ?

Wilson has terrible pocket presence. that is all

I'd argue that Wilson has outstanding pocket presence, but that's just me.

I don't know. Seems like when he drops back and pressure comes from both sides,,, you anticipate him stepping up but he doesn't. Saw him do this multiple times this season. Also seen him take off to early, making pass blocking impossible at times. Like running outside when the tackle is pushing the defender out.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawks46":npmy7qni said:
I find it interesting you say that Codewarrior. How do you come to that conclusion ?

I say Wilson has terrible pocket presence because he doesn't seem to feel the rush very well. What I mean by "feel" is being able to sense a guy coming and move around in the pocket, without taking your eyes off your targets downfield. Wilson routinely scrambles right into rushers with a fairly clean pocket right in front of him.

When he does step up in the pocket, a majority of the time he just pulls the ball down and tries to run with it.

I don't blame Wilson for this. It's one of tougher things a QB has to learn to do. Some guys have it, some don't. Some can learn it and some just can't. I will say this: because of his OL being terrible for so long, I think it's stunted his growth in some areas and this is one of them. You give a rookie QB terrible protection, and he's going to start learning to bail from the pocket early. Especially one as athletically gifted as Wilson. He doesn't HAVE to learn to step up in the pocket because he's able to get production with his legs.

I agree we won't see much improvement here until the line reaches some sort of minimum threshold. The conditions just aren't there for Wilson to be able to work on this. Right now thinking escape at all times results in a better outcome than if he weren't thinking that way, that better outcome being he survives.

I think you see QBs shift around in the pocket when the block is being sustained but just pushed back towards the QB. You don't see them shift around when the defender is actually breaking free of the block. Defenders are breaking free at too high a rate for Wilson to develop comfort just drifting in the pocket and assuming his guys will stick to the defenders. I mean Sweezy and Britt in particular seem to suck at it, part of Cable's prototypical good run blocker who wants to lunge at everything.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I should provide my reasoning, certainly. When I say Wilson's pocket awareness is excellent, I am saying that in reference to an unorthodox quarterback. Wilson is great at sensing pressure. What he does when he feels that pressure is the problem. He's excellent at rolling away from pressure (usually, the Carolina game is an exception), but definitely struggles stepping up in the pocket because once he's there, the DLine is usually pinched and he can't squirt through after pulling the ball down and scrambling. Wilson is rarely hit as he steps up. He steps up, doesn't seen an open receiver, and panics. This is when he either needs to throw OOB, or at someone's feet. Hopefully this is where Jimmy can shine once he realizes it's no longer Brees throwing to him. Jimmy needs to embrace the broken play/scramble and come back to Russ.

In order to maximize Wilson's effectiveness I'd call bootlegs/waggles on the majority of passing plays. Getting our OL going in the same direction right off the snap would alleviate some of the strain currently on them, and on the interior especially.