Does regular season record matter?

Brahn

Reaction score
Had a bit of extra time waiting for the clock so I decided to take a look at the regular season records of the last few SB winners. Take it as you want.

Baltimore Ravens (10-6) (1 Blowout loss 30pts to Texans wk 7) (3 wins by 3 pts) (2 OT games)
NY Giants (9-7) (1 BO Loss 25pts Saints wk 12) (2 wins by 3pts 1 Win by 4pts)
GB Packers (10-6) (2 wins within 4pts) (2 OT Losses)
Saints (13-3) (2 wins by 3pts) (2 OT 1 in / 1 loss)
Steelers (12-4) (1 win by 3pts) (1 OT win)
NY Giants (10-6) (1 BO Loss 24pts Minn wk 12)
Colts (12-4) (4wins by 4pts or less) (1 BO Loss 27pts Jax wk 14)
Steelers (11-5) (2 wins by 3pts) (2 OT losses)
Patriots (14-2) (1 win by 3pts)
Patriots (14-2) (3 wins by 4pts or less) (2 OT wins)
Bucs (12-4) (2 wins by 3pts) (1 OT loss)

Hawks Currently (8-1) (2 wins by 3pts) (2 OT win)* ty for the heads up

**Edit** 11/9/2013 - I started a thread and then changed the context but left the title on accident. I agree with many that W/L in regards to Home Field can be advantageous. I did notice many of these teams had to play on the road in the playoffs. What I meant to ask when I posted this list was about how the Hawks compare to previous winners when it comes to blowing out teams, close wins and such. These teams all won by being battle tested. I just wanted to add some context to many who feel you must blow people out every week. Wins are important and many of the last Super Bowl teams had games like ours. Sorry for the confusion was trying to beat the clock and post this. Thank you all for the replies.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
We are going to shit the bed at some point. But, if the season plays out as it should we should have HFA which I deem as very important. If we have HFA I couldn't care less if we are 13-3, 12-4, or 8-8... NO ONE wants to play in Seattle. If we don't get HFA I can still see us getting to the Super Bowl...we've worn off the "can't win on the road" mentality despite the national pundits. I do not like how we've played the last two weeks but every team goes through lulls (see the list). But, we are in a VERY sweet spot... like the first time you pull tongue with the neighborhood honey... we all need to relax, enjoy the ride, and understand this team will get us there. I can understand how we are waiting for the let down, but maybe it's not coming (like my college girlfriend). HFA is essential... if not, a deep playoff run is eminent regardless of where it is...and if we don't make the Super Bowl I'll blame you by punching my wife in the kidney. I kid...I kid...

minormillikin

Reaction score
Winning in the regular season matters to me (and to the players/coaches) because winning is more enjoyable than losing.

Good list, though. Plenty of losses for most of those Super Bowl winners.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
nobody likes a loser, and everyone likes a winner.
Winning games is good for tickets

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
FlyingGreg":30jruuwi said:
Yes, it matters for HFA.

This. It obviously doesn't matter what your regular season record was once you get to the dance.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Well if it doesn't I'm sure wasting a lot of time and money on Sundays.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
I think I've pieced something together here. It seems as tho having a winning record during the regular season has some bearing or correlation with the Superb Owl winners. :sherlock:

We're going to need one more win to have any chance :pray:

The Outfield

Reaction score
Also, if you win the division, you don't have to play an additional wild card game.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Yes. PC has made differences to it as when you peak and it seems that what they are trying to do with the rehabbing players. The goal is to win, know you can win and get home field.

chris98251

Reaction score
It matters, Division winners play one less game in playoffs , possibly have home field advanatage, one game off is huge and we all know abaout HVA. Yeah it sucks for draft choice position though for all you watching us drop in draft order.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what are the SB percentages for the team with the best record?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what year was it that the Patriots had a perfect season, won the playoff games leading up to the SB, then, with many retired Miami players figuring to lose their record, the Patriots choked and lost the SB?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Just highlights the fact that paper champions rarely actually win the Super Bowl. Even when the Saints won, they were playing a 14-2 Colts team that was favored by 5.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Of course a regular season record counts, just ask the Mariners of 2001 (116-25) who never even set foot in the World Series that year.

the RS serves as a great time to get key players injured that would have helped you in the play-offs ... duh!

We got it, we just need to get 'er done!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Without a regular season you don't get to the playoffs, Mariners is a good example of a team that were riding on regular season accomplishments and didn't keep an edge for the playoffs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3e6is5r0 said:
Yes, it matters for HFA.

This. All of those except one Stealers team and the Giants teams have had at least 1 home playoff game. You need at least 1 game at home during the playoffs to rest up and not have to travel.

If we had had a home game last year, we probably would've made it to the SB, at least the NFC championship.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It matters for us than most teams given our dominance at home compared to the road which in my opinion is directly attributed to Seattle's geographic location. Ever wonder why Midwest or Eastern teams like Pittsburgh travel well? It all about the distance of travel.:

There are only 2 teams I consider outliers to this on a consistent basis. The New York Giants and the 49ers at least in the relevant time period.

Latest posts