Durable
Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent accuracy
Can go bad for stretches
Has sulked on the sideline
Misses out on some plays he can make with his feet
May not be ready to start from day one

Summary: Smith was one of the most consistently effective quarterbacks in college football over the past three seasons. He led some of the most prolific and high-powered offenses while showing steady improvement over the years...
Perhaps he's just living up to the scouting reports?

I think FAR too many NFL QBs are looked at as fails because of the situations they get in with the teams they're with. I think a great many possibly really good QBs careers get crapped away behind bad coaching and otherwise crappy team management. Just as many not so great QBs get relied on and exposed.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I suspect Geno will be good enough it's going to be hard to part with him. I don't believe his age matters much, because he doesn't have the wear and tear of other players. What will really make the difference is how much Geno wants this. I think in three years we'll be in a tough position, as to re-signing or parting ways. It's entirely likely he could still be playing at a very high level when the time comes.

A lot of this is why I'm bummed we don't have a guy behind him to develop. A part of me thinks Pete and John must see Lock as that guy, but do they really?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Geno Smith

Perhaps he's just living up to the scouting reports?

I think FAR too many NFL QBs are looked at as fails because of the situations they get in with the teams they're with. I think a great many possibly really good QBs careers get crapped away behind bad coaching and otherwise crappy team management. Just as many not so great QBs get relied on and exposed.
Yes and no, Geno needed to mature. The current Geno Smith has a different mentality than the dude that was on the Jets. I think he’d have similar results on most teams. Geno’s emergence had to do with maturity and studying vets such as Phillip Rivers. Smith even cited Rivers as being a major influence on him.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm surprised that so many think a 32 year old leopard will miraculously change his spots. Geno is who he is. Good, sometimes very good. But can he win a sb for us, coming up huge in clutch situations, going against Patrick Mahomes and the like? I've not seen anything from him yet that makes that case. I hope I'm wrong, because we don't have many other options. Fingers crossed.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Shane Waldron is still in the process of building his offense. The best is yet to come.

Check out Geno's 2022 chart from Next Gen Stats ..........

View attachment 58947

............................. one can clearly see that great success has already been established with the lower risk red line passing game. With more practice time for the screen game via an volving o-line, the screen game should make itself known. Their improved receiver competition should also boost Geno's success chart for 2023. Not to mention the upgraded versatility of their running back corps.

Good Times Ahead!
I look at this graphic and think, "DK and Lockett's area, Green. Yellow center of the field, drafted JSN. Yellow/Red flat/screen area, drafted 'hands' backs Charbonnet and McIntosh."

Aside from the injection of offensive talent, I look to the D dramatically improve on its 3rd-worst explosive plays given up last year so we can remain more balanced and efficient on offense down the stretch.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Now that teams have game film on him, I see him regressing this season unfortunately. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and please be aware I'm merely stating an unfounded opinion. I have no crystal ball.

He plays with a chip on his shoulder and loves to prove jerks like me wrong. I hope he shuts me up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm surprised that so many think a 32 year old leopard will miraculously change his spots. Geno is who he is. Good, sometimes very good. But can he win a sb for us, coming up huge in clutch situations, going against Patrick Mahomes and the like? I've not seen anything from him yet that makes that case. I hope I'm wrong, because we don't have many other options. Fingers crossed.

If you build another elite defense and run game? The answer to your question is yes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I see Geno just beginning. The entire organization was behind him and believed in him long before the rest of the world had reason to. That counts for a lot in my mind. They see the work ethic, the leadership, the drive to be better and compete every day. We all got to see it on gameday last season. I have no reason to believe he will regress moving forward. Adding these draft pieces just underscores my feeling that he will continue to improve and baring any major setback/injury, should continue to thrive in this offensive system with the playmakers he is surrounded by.

Can he beat Mahomes/Allen/Burrow in a Super Bowl? No idea, but I am excited to find out.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Shane Waldron is still in the process of building his offense. The best is yet to come.

Check out Geno's 2022 chart from Next Gen Stats ..........

View attachment 58947

............................. one can clearly see that great success has already been established with the lower risk red line passing game. With more practice time for the screen game via an volving o-line, the screen game should make itself known. Their improved receiver competition should also boost Geno's success chart for 2023. Not to mention the upgraded versatility of their running back corps.

Good Times Ahead!
What if the Hawks could add a sick slot receiver and turn those yellow areas in the middle of the field green? That would be
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF