Does Geno have a sequel ?

xray

Reaction score
As the reigning 2022 ' comeback player of the year ' what can we expect this season from our QB ? Realistically ; can he repeat last years success ? There is a whole season of film on him now . Will the D-coordinators of the competitors on the 2023 schedule , figure ways to make Geno look merely average ? The list of QBs that had ' ONE ' really gr8 season is quite long . Hopefully he won't be on that list ; but repeating gr8 seasons are usually reserved for the elites .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
IF he's at least AS GOOD as last season, and fewer passes that should have been picked? Hell yeah he will have a better season.
He has a lot around him. Really looking forward to what he can do in this offense. I'd like to see more game winning drives from him, so hopefully that's the progression. I'm sure I'll get told I'm "hating" on him. Quite opposite, I'm glad he's our QB in 2023.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm worried that he is more the guy we saw in the second half. BUT I love that Seattle is putting weapons around him and giving him the perfect situation to be really really good. They needed a #3 WR badly and they got it. they have 3 very good backs now. The line should be better. TE room is solid. I don't think Geno is prime Russ but I do think he is potentially between what we saw in the first half of last year and the last half and that is good enough to win with for sure.

GGotskill

Reaction score
I'm worried that he is more the guy we saw in the second half. BUT I love that Seattle is putting weapons around him and giving him the perfect situation to be really really good. They needed a #3 WR badly and they got it. they have 3 very good backs now. The line should be better. TE room is solid. I don't think Geno is prime Russ but I do think he is potentially between what we saw in the first half of last year and the last half and that is good enough to win with for sure.

Between injuries and rookies hitting the wall, a lot of the second half struggles weren't Geno's fault. Granted you would hope he can overcome that type of adversity going forward, but also fingers crossed we are a healthier team this coming season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Between injuries and rookies hitting the wall, a lot of the second half struggles weren't Geno's fault. Granted you would hope he can overcome that type of adversity going forward, but also fingers crossed we are a healthier team this coming season.
Yep that is totally fair. He was pressing too because of a lot of things outside his control. He also gets a year of being the guy too which could help. I'm still a little skeptical but it wouldn't shock me if he repeats the kind of year he had last year overall too numbers wise. Should be a fun offense to watch.

James in PA

Reaction score
I think he'll be better than last year. Another year in the system and more weapons.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The main problem with Geno is he really looked mediocre when the game was on the line. He also struggled when faced with adversity.

He’s a great QB to have when everything is going well, he wasn’t so good at elevating the team in times of adversity.

I see Geno like a Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith sort of player. I don’t think we’re ever going to competitive for a SB with him. All that being said, he’s good enough that you can’t really make a case for moving on from him.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Light boxes? K9 and ZC will feast.
Loaded boxes? DK, NoE and JSN will feast.

As long as the protection is there, someone will be open, and I trust Geno will make the right decisions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't see anything from last year that says Geno can't duplicate, and even improve upon his game.

Yes his 2nd half of the season wasn't as good as his 1st half, but IMO that was more about when Walker went out, the O-line regressing a little and the defense putting Geno and the offense down 14-0 by the 2nd quarter game after game.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
In Genos favor, the offensive personnel around him looks to be better than last year. He no longer has rookie tackles. Those two guys have a year under their belts and will only be better. The center position looks to be improved through a new starter and better depth. The RG position on paper looks to also be improved.
The RB room looks better especially if the top two are healthy all season.
The WRs are also better with the addition of JSN.
Not worried about Geno at all. I’m more concerned about how bad opposing defenses might look against this offense.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Play calling will be what matters IMHO.

I alluded to this in the “my vision” thread.

Our WR room and RB stable got significantly better, and I don’t think it can be argued otherwise.

Our O will be very hard to D if the play calling is smart and planned according to opponents vs scripted.

Geno is poised to have an amazing season if he gets help from smart and creative play calling.
I’m not worried about his talent or abilities.

YMMV

Jville

Reaction score
Shane Waldron is still in the process of building his offense. The best is yet to come.

Check out Geno's 2022 chart from Next Gen Stats ..........

Qb grid chart SMI269700 2022 REG all 1673372713781

............................. one can clearly see that great success has already been established with the lower risk red line passing game. With more practice time for the screen game via an volving o-line, the screen game should make itself known. Their improved receiver competition should also boost Geno's success chart for 2023. Not to mention the upgraded versatility of their running back corps.

Good Times Ahead!

keasley45

Reaction score
T
I don't see anything from last year that says Geno can't duplicate, and even improve upon his game.

Yes his 2nd half of the season wasn't as good as his 1st half, but IMO that was more about when Walker went out, the O-line regressing a little and the defense putting Geno and the offense down 14-0 by the 2nd quarter game after game.
This.

Geno was the 4th most sacked qb last year despite his ability to get the ball out quickly and suffered through a rushing drought when we had no healthy backs to start.

Add to that the fact that our interior line protection was abysmal and you get passes forced when they shouldn't be.

I can't say that he necessarily wilted under pressure, because there were games like the V the saints and lions when he needed to make the play and did, over and over again. But those games came when our rushing attack was 100% and our offense more varied.

Likewise, Injuries to the wr group and the lack of a consistent wr3 limited us as well. I saw the 2nd half more as a case of our playbook being figured and our of ways to mask our holes, than necessarily poor play by Geno. I think he did force more in those scenarios, but it looked to me like he was doing so to make plays that weren't there but for a 2% chance, or... he was forcing balls to DK that he shouldn't have.

In the 2nd half, defenses figured us out, not so much Geno. His high percentage of throws that shoukd have been ints came due to the defenses clamping down and being confident in what we were calling.

Hoping with a more varied attack, we'll be dictating the terms of engagement rather than trying desperately to scheme to cover weaknesses and being forced to go back to the well of the half 8 to 10 'goto' plays that we were limited to in the 2nd half.

With the players we added, he has few excuses if his play declines.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I expect a similar season as last year. They offense is definitely upgraded over last year, but I think Geno's ceiling is about where he was last year.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
But doesn’t a QBs ceiling involve to a great extent the supporting cast around him?

I’d agree with you if our costars hadn’t changed/been upgraded.
Yes, but I also think if you review the more advanced metrics, like turnover worthy throws, he overperformed. The better cast will be roughly canceled out by that.

I would expect similar Stats of 4,000 yards, 30/10 TD/INT, 65%+ comp %. But what do I know, I expected him to suck last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With the players we added, he has few excuses if his play declines.

IMO it's just as important with how the defense plays/improves this season than Geno's offensive weapons.

The O-line should take a step forward with two rookie tackles now in their 2nd year, a better center and more depth on the line. RB room just got better after the draft, so shouldn't be any excuses there if Walker misses a game or two.

But if the defense doesn't play better than they did for a VERY long stretch of 2022? Then yeah, Geno's not the kind of QB that can carry a team on his back. We know that.

No knock on Geno, there are only 2-3 QB's in the entire league that can carry their team. But he needs that run game balance and his defense to play at least above average to succeed.