Does anyone really think Clark will be traded

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like Frank a lot. But there's just no way he's in the category of those guys. I know that this the market etc. but he's just not worth 20 plus mil. Just my own opinion, but at that type of $ it's time to see if a team will bite on a good trade.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1y5zy54h said:
I like Frank a lot. But there's just no way he's in the category of those guys. I know that this the market etc. but he's just not worth 20 plus mil. Just my own opinion, but at that type of $ it's time to see if a team will bite on a good trade.

Luckily there's multiple teams now reported to be interested in Clark, and probably will be more come draft day. Always helps drive up the price.

I want Frank to stay, because without him our pass rush is downright abysmal. But that's now. I assume if we trade him we'd use that 1st rounder to draft a stud pass rusher, AS WELL AS sign one of the vet D-lineman out there right now like Suh or Ansah......for half the cost of Frank.

Still not a great pass rush, but it's not as bleak and what's on our roster now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ywa10wnb said:
DomeHawk":ywa10wnb said:
Trading proven players for unproven draft picks is gambling.

The old adage "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" rings true here.

Not for 21-22M it doesn't.........especially if your intention is to also try to extend Bobby and Jarran over the next year.

Thus why John said yesterday that this decision has been keeping him up at night, and also why the trade rumors are flying. Aaron Donald makes 22M, do you really put Frank in the same category as Aaron Donald?

Nope. Clark's a top 10 DE, but IMO I couldn't feel good about paying him almost the same money as Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald, he's just not at that level. So unfortunately like John and Pete are doing you have to listen to trade offers and see if you can find the right package to let a player like Frank go.

But again, the tough part is, Clark isn't an exception. This is the market for very good DE's now. If our next top pass rusher hits the same level of production as Clark, he's not going to be cheaper.

So if Pete and John aren't willing to pay this level of money for very-good-but-not-quite-Mack pass rushers, we're basically talking about no second contracts anymore, unless they just aren't that good. The only defensive ends we'll carry will be the ones on their first contracts, and how likely will they be to develop into elite players in that span of time?

HawkGA

Reaction score
My initial thought was no on the trade, in part because I didn't think anybody would give up what was necessary. Now, I'm not so sure.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wjzhiq2 said:
SoulfishHawk":1wjzhiq2 said:

Luckily there's multiple teams now reported to be interested in Clark, and probably will be more come draft day. Always helps drive up the price.

I want Frank to stay, because without him our pass rush is downright abysmal. But that's now. I assume if we trade him we'd use that 1st rounder to draft a stud pass rusher, AS WELL AS sign one of the vet D-lineman out there right now like Suh or Ansah......for half the cost of Frank.

Still not a great pass rush, but it's not as bleak and what's on our roster now.

Love Clark, he's blossoming into a true leader on defense and steadily improving every year. Easily a top 10 DE in the league however as mentioned, just isn't worth Aaron Donald money. He takes double teams every single snap and is more disruptive than anyone in the league. I'd be happy with the 15 million range however these trade rumors picking up steam have to mean he wants 20 million.

That said, if they can get the haul that's been rumored (at least a first/second or high first), this is the perfect draft to pull the trigger on it. They could realistically overhaul the DL with some really solid players in rounds 1 and 2 and still trade back to get more draft ammo while not locking up $20 million on a DE. There are a ton of potential studs in this draft and they could get the Avril/Bennett combo on rookie deals. Obviously optimistic, no player is a guaranteed success, I just think this accelerates the re-tooling of the roster.

This also means Suh is a realistic addition to the DL rotation if Clark doesn't cost a big payday.

Seymour

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3p04ah2v said:

Not if you get both birds and the bush!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1n7zd4n5 said:
Sgt. Largent":1n7zd4n5 said:
DomeHawk":1n7zd4n5 said:

Not for 21-22M it doesn't.........especially if your intention is to also try to extend Bobby and Jarran over the next year.

Thus why John said yesterday that this decision has been keeping him up at night, and also why the trade rumors are flying. Aaron Donald makes 22M, do you really put Frank in the same category as Aaron Donald?

Nope. Clark's a top 10 DE, but IMO I couldn't feel good about paying him almost the same money as Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald, he's just not at that level. So unfortunately like John and Pete are doing you have to listen to trade offers and see if you can find the right package to let a player like Frank go.

But again, the tough part is, Clark isn't an exception. This is the market for very good DE's now. If our next top pass rusher hits the same level of production as Clark, he's not going to be cheaper.

So if Pete and John aren't willing to pay this level of money for very-good-but-not-quite-Mack pass rushers, we're basically talking about no second contracts anymore, unless they just aren't that good. The only defensive ends we'll carry will be the ones on their first contracts, and how likely will they be to develop into elite players in that span of time?

I agree, and I think Pete and John do too, for the right pass rusher/DE.

For a Michael Bennett/Aaron Donald/Khalil Mack type that's a COMPLETE DE/DT in his prime? Sure I think I and John/Pete agree with you.

So unfortunately I believe this speaks to Pete and John not having faith that Frank will grow into more than just a pass rusher........of which he's great, but he's weak against the run, and has gone long periods of time of not being effective in games. Some of that is the double teams, but some of that might be effort.

That's where the pause to pay Frank the "going rate" for a top pass rusher. He's not the complete package that John and Pete feel good about giving 21-22M a year.

Tough choice for sure, and I'm not trying to make it sound like a no brainer. I'm still 50/50 on it myself. I guess it comes down to thinking we're a serious SB contender, and IMO we're 1-2 years away still. So to strap our cap with giving Frank 60M guaranteed over getting picks to try and re-stock the holes and depth issues might make more sense.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":pqczomfo said:
Sgt. Largent":pqczomfo said:
DomeHawk":pqczomfo said:

These are the type of tough decisions that have to take place on teams that have to pay QB's top dollar.

Just a reality moving forward. There will be casualties unfortunately.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":140c0ohc said:
MontanaHawk05":140c0ohc said:
Sgt. Largent":140c0ohc said:
DomeHawk":140c0ohc said:

These are the type of tough decisions that have to take place on teams that have to pay QB's top dollar.

Just a reality moving forward. There will be casualties unfortunately.

If that's the case, then the NFL has truly succeeded in creating a league where defenses don't matter.

Shame.

I suppose that's been their goal all along, though. You don't see rushing touchdowns in the commercials they use to sell TV's.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I love Clark's energy and leadership. He is fast and explosive. He is not Defensive MVP caliber and I don't think $20M is where I would spend the money.

If we can get some draft picks I will be content. I guess I'd prefer to Keep Clark on a long term $15-16M APY deal. If not let's get what we can. We should have taken what we could get for Earl and Sherm. Let's not get too greedy, 1 good season and 3rd round comp pick in 2021 in not ideal we can get more from this.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
It was interesting to hear an interview with a KC sports radio host. I'm entrenched in looking at things from a Seahawk perspective. Hearing the KC take it's a deal that could work for both parties, and is not at all unfeasible. In fact they are concerned that Indy would be in a position to out bid them for Clark. Ah a bidding war, wouldn't that be nice.

Seymour

Reaction score
Anajimmc":8hkuxsbk said:
It was interesting to hear an interview with a KC sports radio host. I'm entrenched in looking at things from a Seahawk perspective. Hearing the KC take it's a deal that could work for both parties, and is not at all unfeasible. In fact they are concerned that Indy would be in a position to out bid them for Clark. Ah a bidding war, wouldn't that be nice.

With how we have gotten fleeced on several trades, that would be awesome and about time if that happens!! :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Getting Closer!!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1120741636596625408[/tweet]

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Seymour":ov01ch2q said:
Anajimmc":ov01ch2q said:

With how we have gotten fleeced on several trades, that would be awesome and about time if that happens!! :2thumbs:

Schneider had to be talking to all potential teams, seems no war, but pretty damn good in any case. Now watch him turn KC's first into a second and at least 1 other late rounds pick.

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":2srvfl5c said:
Jarran Reed had 10.5 sacks from the DT position. Clark had 13 from the outside. Who's more valuable?

That's easy. If you get value, G'BYE Clark, and your contract demands.

Evidently the Hawks felt the same.

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":2kwzgdod said:
Jarran Reed had 10.5 sacks from the DT position. Clark had 13 from the outside. Who's more valuable?

That's easy. If you get value, G'BYE Clark, and your contract demands.

Evidently the Hawks felt the same.