Do we need to worry about Charles Cross?

willyrobt

Reaction score
No! Cross is a franchise LT. Watch his feet and how he moves. I think Lucas could be even better…
I agree, this guy is going to be a monster. He had some jitters in his latest game but did you see him bury some of them guys?
This is my first post. I am 71 years young and was born and raised in Washington. Started watching Seahawks from day 1. I love reading your posts over the years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I agree, this guy is going to be a monster. He had some jitters in his latest game but did you see him bury some of them guys?
This is my first post. I am 71 years young and was born and raised in Washington. Started watching Seahawks from day 1. I love reading your posts over the years.
welcome!

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Not at all he had a few penalties. Dude is a beast and will be for years

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If we are seeing five penalties per game for our first rounder even three games in, I’m gonna call it another sunk cost.
GTFO then. Why are you California folk so dense and predictably reactive to everything? If y'all get a mosquito bite, y'all act like revelations is playing out.

Chill out.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Top 5 Highest Graded Rookie Tackles So Far (Pass Blocking)

1. Zach Tom 82.0 (GB, 140th Pick)

2. Abraham Lucas 81.4 (SEA, 72nd Pick)

3. Charles Cross 79.2 (SEA, 9th Pick)

4. Braxton Jones 74.8 (CHI, 168th Pick)

5. Nicholas Petit-Frere 73.4 (TEN, 69th Pick)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did Walter Jones look like a HOF as a Rookie or in his first pre-season? My god, one pre-season game with some penalties and now he's BROKEung or NOfedi.
And as much as Pete and John get blasted for the their drafts, maybe it's time to actually give them some credit for what's looking like a damn good draft? They likely drafted their LT and RT for the next decade. IN THE SAME DRAFT.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
GTFO then. Why are you California folk so dense and predictably reactive to everything? If y'all get a mosquito bite, y'all act like revelations is playing out.

Chill out.

Three regular season games in a row with five plus penalties starts to be a pattern, one that would usually have coaches starting to look elsewhere if the person was a udfa or on a vet prove it deal. This kid is supposed to be all that at Left tackle, we won’t see it with all these penalties.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Top 5 Highest Graded Rookie Tackles So Far (Pass Blocking)

1. Zach Tom 82.0 (GB, 140th Pick)

2. Abraham Lucas 81.4 (SEA, 72nd Pick)

3. Charles Cross 79.2 (SEA, 9th Pick)

4. Braxton Jones 74.8 (CHI, 168th Pick)

5. Nicholas Petit-Frere 73.4 (TEN, 69th Pick)

Considering that Packers offensive linemen are allowed to "bear hug" defenders (i.e., hold with impunity) on every play, our new tackles evidently look pretty damn good to the PFF ratings. OK, that probably means nothing more than that the people at PFF like them, but even that can be taken as a good sign. And in August, all we've got is signs. Man, I cannot wait for real football to actually start!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Three regular season games in a row with five plus penalties starts to be a pattern, one that would usually have coaches starting to look elsewhere if the person was a udfa or on a vet prove it deal. This kid is supposed to be all that at Left tackle, we won’t see it with all these penalties.
He will be fine. He's a rookie, he had a great game vs Pittsburgh then had a few penalties in a game where the signal caller he practiced with wasn't the same as on game day. It's a classic teaching moment I'm sure he'll learn from.

This was a pre season game. The place where these issues can be ironed out before the real meal.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is dot net, guys are not allowed to have bad games.
He didn't even have a bad game... He got penalties but he did fantastic styming Quinn, one of the best pass rushers in place and keeping Geno clean. The guy is a solid technician at the LT spot and he gave Robert Quinn a hell of a time as a rookie. Cross is going to be a hell of a player for us for years to come.

Abe Lucas, our other tackle has also been a monster. I saw someone imply that we should have drafted Willis over Lucas... No way, these two guys are going to be corners of the franchise.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, great points. I don't see it as a bad game at all. I see a kid who is in his 2nd ever NFL game. He'll fix the penalties, I have zero worry about it.
Book end tackles for a decade. That alone makes this one hell of a draft.

olyfan63

Reaction score
According to Carroll's press conference, Cross did not know who Robert Quinn was before the game, so it is not like he was intimidated. It was pretty much just baptism by fire. Quinn has been one of the premier pass rushers for almost every healthy season he has been in the league. Cross simply had his welcome to the NFL moments in game 2 instead of game 1. He will learn from it and get better.
There was one video breakdown that showed Cross totally stuffing Quinn. Quinn has quickness and SPEED, run-down-Russell-Wilson-speed, so Cross was properly worried about getting off the ball and stopping Quinn, hence the false starts.

I recall in the Hawks' 2013-2014 SB years, Quinn routinely terrorized Russell, like 5 sacks a season or so. (5 sacks is a guess, seemed like 20 sacks, was probably 2) I was hoping the Hawks would pick up Quinn in free agency when he was available, if for no other reason that to not face him on the Rams twice a year.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sounded we may have two NFL legit tackles now, with plenty of upside as they grow and learn. Brown has been good for a few years, but we didn't have an equivalent RT to match Brown during his tenure.