Do we lockup Thurmond ?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think we roll the dice he stays healthy. I think he is good enough to start and he has looked great

My thinking is he will be lower cost then browner, and it gives us leverage with earl , Sherman and browner.

warden

Reaction score
Resign Browner

Must keep the Legion of Boom in tact

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Don't see the value for either party in doing this.

If he plays well this year, and stays healthy, he's going to earn a lot more in the off-season. If he can't stay healthy or doesn't play well, are the Seahawks going to want him locked up?

chris98251

Reaction score
This is a classic dilemma, he has talent but has Womacked us every year and at some point you have to take a approach and say well if he is off the IR we can make an offer next year, we do have a lot of prioritys to take care of and where III is a nice player he is only nice if he is on the field.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Man, we are screwed......no way we keep them all. I can't choose at this point. Thank God I am clueless about football and PC/JS aren't.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Browner is my second favorite Seahawk but he's approaching the dreaded 30 year mark, sorry Brandon. The only way I see him sticking around is if we win the SB and he hangs around for another year.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Hawkblogger mentioned this in the offseason. It's a risk...

Sign him now to a team friendly deal or risk that he is a hot commodity on the open market during this upcoming offseason.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2svbxc96 said:
Hawkblogger mentioned this in the offseason. It's a risk...

Sign him now to a team friendly deal or risk that he is a hot commodity on the open market during this upcoming offseason.
I would prefer we sign him if the money and years work because veteran leadership is important as is IDENTITY. But sadly I see us moving on. PC/JS are shockingly cutthroat, so much so that even I can't wrap my mind around it and just trust at this point.

bigcc

Reaction score
SNDavidson":t8sjebz4 said:
Browner is my second favorite Seahawk but he's approaching the dreaded 30 year mark, sorry Brandon. The only way I see him sticking around is if we win the SB and he hangs around for another year.

that's for rb's....... names that come to mind of good 30+ cb's, Bailey, Woodson, Winfield, the list goes on

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
This FO is hard to read but I really hope they extend Browner. One would think that the pay raise they gave him this offseason was for a reason. Browner brings a certain attitude to this team, similar to Kam, that I think would definitely be missed. It is also somewhat annoying to be able to hit on a player, either because they were undrafted, a low round pick, or a straight up FA from Canada and then not reap the benefit. Browner has been one of my favorite players for the last few years so I guess I am biased. He's just so unique as a CB that I find him incredibly fascinating to watch. The fact he is a playmaker only adds to it.

Mick063

Reaction score
Pick 10-15 core players with 4-6 years of gas left in the tank. That is what you lock up. After that, you approach inevitable salary cap hell and hurt your depth by investing so heavily at the top.

Is Thurmond in that group?

I doubt it.

Who are the 15 players that fit that criteria?

Someone come up with the list.

Players I would "lock up" (some already are)

Russell Wilson
Richard Sherman
Russell Okung
Bobby Wagner
Kam Chancellor
Earl Thomas
Marshawn lynch
Max Unger
Brandon Browner
Brandon Mebane
KJ Wright
Bruce Irvin
Percy Harvin
Christine Michael

This is the current "core group" that you can fit pieces around. This constantly evolves. Young players can evolve into stars. Older players can lose their desire. The best "bang for the buck" are young stars that play well above their rookie contract. Seahawks are loaded with such players at the moment. This is the genius of John Schneider. He just has to keep loading up on 5th round gems as we painfully unleash very good, albeit expensive players.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thurmond is a wait-and-see, in my book. However, I think the Hawks do everything they reasonably can to keep Browner. Everything that Archer said above, plus...
Browner is a key part of the Hawks run defense. There is NO corner in the league that adds what he adds in RUN SUPPORT, almost like having a LB at the CB spot. IIRC, Browner single-handedly won the game at Carolina for us last year with that unbelievable play on a Cam Newton option pitch, a play that probably only Browner makes, out of all CBs in the league. (OK, so the rest of the team helped make the W happen too) A smaller corner, Newton maybe chooses to try to run over, but Browner's mere presence screws with Newton's read, which leads to the turnover.

Plus that hit on Wes Welker in the Patriots game was teeth-rattling. Welker is one tough hombre, have to respect him, but he got absolutely LEVELED on that play, came out for a few plays, and it affected him the rest of the game. Without that hit on Welker, I think the Pats rack up a bigger lead, and I don't think the Seahawks are in position to win that game.

So we have Browner for 2 game-changing plays last year. 2 L's into W's. Not bad. I totally see us keeping him if the FO can at all find a way.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
depends on how much he's valued at the end of the season could see some teams over spending on Thurmond. Browner also depends on how much he's asking they got big contracts coming up Okung/Thomas can't lose those guys in free agency so budget cuts are coming.

OP
OP
Happypuppy

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":1ede99qf said:
depends on how much he's valued at the end of the season could see some teams over spending on Thurmond. Browner also depends on how much he's asking they got big contracts coming up Okung/Thomas can't lose those guys in free agency so budget cuts are coming.

That is why I think it is worth considering now. If he has a good year he could cost more,than Browner.

A

Anonymous

I don't get all the Thurmond love around here.

Tell me again which game-saving plays he contributed?

Latest posts