Do we have the pieces to run Mike McD's Defense?

Seattle Person

Reaction score
At the core of the MacDonald defense is a Cover 3 scheme. The thing about it is how he disguises it pre and post snap. That's the thing that makes his defense unique. So I believe he is going to want versatile safeties and linebackers.

He changes coverages a lot but most of the looks end up being a Cover 3. It's not the same cover 3 that the LOB ran.

I think this is what appealed to John Schneider. He saw how the Ravens defense attacked the schemes of McVay and Shanahan. You beat them by confusing them. MacDonald's scheme can confuse the heck out of defenses.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Man, I hope we see 90 percent an influx of new players on this team….

This team needs a ton of new young talent….

I hope we don’t keep the current players (majority) and just see how MacDonald does with them.

Let the man build his own team and not fix Carroll’s team…

12th_Bob

Reaction score

I hope we don’t keep the current players (majority) and just see how MacDonald does with them.

Yeap, blow it all up, no one should fret over a 9-8 team esp that wasn't highly rated on any metric.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No. The ONLY player I want to see returning on this defense 2 seasons from now is Witherspoon. The rest of these guys are either over the hill, or going through the motions.

As Zaghawk said, this is going to take a few seasons. Be patient people. If they do this correctly as a full structure rebuild, not a soft reset to keep Carroll happy, we will be in for success in 3 years. The next couple years will require patience. The biggest thing to look for is continual growth, progress, and improvement.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
We need to bring back the boom, pop and thunder of ol. A punishing Defense ! ! !
I just read or heard somewhere an idea of turning spoon into a safety a la Hamilton to maximize his skills. It’s going to be crazy to see how spoon develops now regardless

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I just read or heard somewhere an idea of turning spoon into a safety a la Hamilton to maximize his skills. It’s going to be crazy to see how spoon develops now regardless
My eyes tell me Spoon is a damn great corner!

Not sure why it’s necessary try and see if he is a safety instead!

Just draft a safety to be a safety and go from there!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score

90% turnover means they are only keeping 6 players from last year. Who ya got as the 6?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
At the core of the MacDonald defense is a Cover 3 scheme. The thing about it is how he disguises it pre and post snap. That's the thing that makes his defense unique. So I believe he is going to want versatile safeties and linebackers.

He changes coverages a lot but most of the looks end up being a Cover 3. It's not the same cover 3 that the LOB ran.

I think this is what appealed to John Schneider. He saw how the Ravens defense attacked the schemes of McVay and Shanahan. You beat them by confusing them. MacDonald's scheme can confuse the heck out of defenses.
I hope he doesn’t confuse the defense! I know you meant offense 😉.

QWERTY

Reaction score
No. The ONLY player I want to see returning on this defense 2 seasons from now is Witherspoon. The rest of these guys are either over the hill, or going through the motions.

As Zaghawk said, this is going to take a few seasons. Be patient people. If they do this correctly as a full structure rebuild, not a soft reset to keep Carroll happy, we will be in for success in 3 years. The next couple years will require patience. The biggest thing to look for is continual growth, progress, and improvement.

There's other players besides Whiterspoon that can play D.

Williams, Nwosu.