DL 2023

toffee

Reaction score
A few thoughts, but would like to know how you want to improve our DL. We are short on cap to sign any established DL players, I will placing improvements on drafting the right pieces:
  1. We might even be able to trade down from both #5 and #20 and still get these players:
    DEKanceyJarran ReedMyles Adams
    NTMazi or BentonKeondre CoburnMone*Mone injured
    DEDre'Mont JonesFelix Anudike-UzomaJarrod Hewitt
  2. If Carter drops to #5, which is possible, and we can still trade down from #20 to grab Mazi
    DEJalan CarterJarran ReedMyles Adams
  3. This is less likely but not impossible:
    DEAnderson or TyreeJarran ReedMyles Adams
Mazi Smith vs Keeanu Benton, Mazi may be a late 1st or early 2nd, Keeanu, an early 2nd but might drop down to 3rd? Even with Mazi, Benton or Corburn we will have an all rookie NT. #2 with Carter ought to be the most flexible as Carter could slip to NT on certain situations.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
A few thoughts, but would like to know how you want to improve our DL. We are short on cap to sign any established DL players, I will placing improvements on drafting the right pieces:
  1. We might even be able to trade down from both #5 and #20 and still get these players:
    DEKanceyJarran ReedMyles Adams
  2. If Carter drops to #5, which is possible, and we can still trade down from #20 to grab Mazi
    DEJalan CarterJarran ReedMyles Adams
  3. This is less likely but not impossible:
    DEAnderson or TyreeJarran ReedMyles Adams
Mazi Smith vs Keeanu Benton, Mazi may be a late 1st or early 2nd, Keeanu, an early 2nd but might drop down to 3rd? Even with Mazi, Benton or Corburn we will have an all rookie NT. #2 with Carter ought to be the most flexible as Carter could slip to NT on certain situations.
Wouldn't Anderson would likely be playing OLB in our system, not DE? He's a 3-4 linebacker.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
So what about Center, Guard, WR, RB and LB ?
We have 2 picks each in first and second, of the three cases above, except the case with Anderson, we could all trade down for more picks. Under my pff sim, I used 3 of those four picks on defense. In case of trading down, after using 3 of 4 on defense, we will still have picks in 2nd, and 3rd for other needs. Playing GM on simulators was fun, no consequences.

CPHawk

Reaction score
We have 2 picks each in first and second, of the three cases above, except the case with Anderson, we could all trade down for more picks. Under my pff sim, I used 3 of those four picks on defense. In case of trading down, after using 3 of 4 on defense, we will still have picks in 2nd, and 3rd for other needs. Playing GM on simulators was fun, no consequences.
Again. Nothing we have done over the last decade gives me confidence in JS picking from 15-60. He can’t afford to screw up this draft. Trading down doesn’t seem like the smart move.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I thought Jalen Carter was projected to be a Nose Tackle and we need both a NT and his backup. But after the recent incidents, it seems that Carter is probably not worth the risk.

Anderson is the next best rated defensive player and Pete and John have been looking for a dynamic pass rusher...but the Seahawks have only Mone on the roster now at the Nose. The team needs a big, bad dominating Nose Tackle and another really good back up.

This link shows the available candidates...I think Ika might also be pretty good option, but there others that are better.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023NT.php

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Last draft, we drafted two OTs, both started and played at or slightly above league average. This draft, I am hoping that we repeat the success and draft two ready to start DTs. If we use our #5 and #20 on Carter and Bresee? Or Kancey and Mazi?

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I thought Jalen Carter was projected to be a Nose Tackle and we need both a NT and his backup. But after the recent incidents, it seems that Carter is probably not worth the risk.

Anderson is the next best rated defensive player and Pete and John have been looking for a dynamic pass rusher...but the Seahawks have only Mone on the roster now at the Nose. The team needs a big, bad dominating Nose Tackle and another really good back up.

This link shows the available candidates...I think Ika might also be pretty good option, but there others that are better.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023NT.php
Carter would play DE in our scheme; generally at 4i, but really anywhere from 3-5. On passing downs he could kick inside and play NT. His game is more about penetration and disruption than just eating up space.

Ika mostly looks like a big, fat dude to me. Which is fine if he's only a 2-down player I guess. I like Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton better myself.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Carter would play DE in our scheme; generally at 4i, but really anywhere from 3-5. On passing downs he could kick inside and play NT. His game is more about penetration and disruption than just eating up space.

Ika mostly looks like a big, fat dude to me. Which is fine if he's only a 2-down player I guess. I like Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton better myself.
Mazi may cost a 2nd round pick, Benton likely a 3rd rounder? Not sure about Ika. Learning from Mone, just being big isn't enough, right?