Dk

toffee

Reaction score
Remarkable achievement, could be even more if wouldn't for the lower completion rate, but still wonderful stats.

W

Welshers

good post John, i wasn't aware of that. Really hope we don't trade him and can get a deal done. He's exactly who you try to use draft picks to get...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Considering that DK performed better with Russell out, I think he's fairly impervious to quarterback play. Could continue putting up great stats regardless.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if the WR market is now worth something like $1m per 100 yards and $1m per TD then a 1000 yard, 10 TD season would cost $20m per year, which isn’t as far fetched as you think because Sporttrac’s calculated market value for DK is $20.6m and he’s been roughly a 1000 yard, 10 TD guy.

DK’s production, in this scenario, has been worth about $51m in his first 3 seasons while he’s only made about $3.5m, so a net production profit of $47.5m off his success.

So now let’s say the team can extend DK to something like 5 years, $121.5 ($24.3m apy). It still looks like pretty significant money and a bit pricey but at the same time not really.

If they change nothing to 2022 salary then DK will cost $128m total over 8 years. Or only $16m apy.

So back to my first thought, a break even at $1m per 100 yards, $1m per TD for a WR making $16m apy over the life of his contract is 800 yards, 8 TDs per season (or 1200/4, 1100/5, 1000/6, 900/7.) I will keep it simple and just go with 800/8.

Meaning the magic number of break even production over 8 seasons at $16m apy is:

6400 Yards, 64 TDs.

Meaning if you subtract DK’s 3 year production from that, DK would only need to produce roughly 3200 yards, 35 TDs over 5 years or 640 yards, 7 TDs per season for the Seahawks to get even return on a 5 year, 121.5m extension.

Meaning if DK continues to average about 1000 yards, 10 TDs over the next 5… he would be consider a bargain.

…But PH… what if I don’t care about his past production on a rookie contract and only care what he’ll cost the team in those next 5 years where he’ll cost between $24-25m apy?

It almost applies the same: At only 25 years old, he’s only begun to hit his stride and his prime… Do you think he can be a WR who can produce about 1200-1300 yards, 12-13 TDs? Then he would be worth $25m apy.

And even if a run heavy scheme and franchise QB issues dumbs his numbers down to still about 1000, 10 per. You’d have to think about his overall influence and presence i.e. is he road-grading DBs as a downfield blocker or is he being heavily schemed out by opposing defenses allowing other receivers better opportunities?

I’d say it would be wise to extend DK and if you can get him for somewhere about $24-$25 apy then I see no issues on whether or not he’d be worth it as he’d likely be a bargain for what he’s already produced. But if by some chance Seahawks can get DK for closer to $20m apy, no one should complain about that.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
Not sure how he got this scoop, but Philly sports anchor Howard Eskin is reporting that the Seahawks turned down the Jets offer of the #10 pick this year for DK. Yes, the very pick we gave them for Jamal. Eskin added that the Hawks are not even listening to offers for DK. This of course contradicts other reports that DK can be had for the right price. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally I hope we keep the big fella.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Looking fwd to seeing DK with a new qb that doesn't either ignore him all together or just throws bombs down the sidelines to him in triple coverage. So many times he was open underneath and not targeted. Imagine his yac yards in those situations.

James in PA

Reaction score
Looking fwd to seeing DK with a new qb that doesn't either ignore him all together or just throws bombs down the sidelines to him in triple coverage. So many times he was open underneath and not targeted. Imagine his yac yards in those situations.
Couldn't agree more. Get this man in open space and let him do his thing. Who the hell would want to tackle this freak?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not sure how he got this scoop, but Philly sports anchor Howard Eskin is reporting that the Seahawks turned down the Jets offer of the #10 pick this year for DK. Yes, the very pick we gave them for Jamal. Eskin added that the Hawks are not even listening to offers for DK. This of course contradicts other reports that DK can be had for the right price. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally I hope we keep the big fella.
but....but.........the internet............but....but......"sources"

Throwdown

Reaction score
I’m gonna cry if he’s not a hawk forever, I never loved a hawk this much since Kam.

If you’re looking for a cultural reset (which is probably what’s going on) you keep guys like DK.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I’m gonna cry if he’s not a hawk forever, I never loved a hawk this much since Kam.

If you’re looking for a cultural reset (which is probably what’s going on) you keep guys like DK.

I agree with you, but man is it hard to swallow 26-30M a year for a WR with no franchise QB throwing it to him in a balanced ball control offense.

If Pete and John truly are trying to see if their old formula works? That doesn't include putting this much cap space into a WR.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I agree with you, but man is it hard to swallow 26-30M a year for a WR with no franchise QB throwing it to him in a balanced ball control offense.

If Pete and John truly are trying to see if their old formula works? That doesn't include putting this much cap space into a WR.
That contract is gonna be a deal in 2 years, and you have the cap space to do it. There’s no reason not to, like at all. You think 26 a year is wild wait til Justin Jefferson and Jamarr Chase get their dollars.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Throwdown nailed it.

Watch. Deebo is going to get a big contract. And DK is going to cost SOOOO much more if we don't do a deal now.

I say eff it. We don't have a QB. Throw him QB money and fully guarantee it so it screws up the salary cap for every other team as they find their WRs suddenly got more expensive. It wouldn't really help us but it would screw it up for everyone else.

Whenever we complain that it costs too much to keep someone, we often find it costs more later or worse, costs almost as much for someone nowhere near as effective. (Britt)

Pay our stars, we aren't the effing Patriots.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That contract is gonna be a deal in 2 years, and you have the cap space to do it. There’s no reason not to, like at all. You think 26 a year is wild wait til Justin Jefferson and Jamarr Chase get their dollars.

I said I agreed with you. I'm just trying to get into what John and Pete are thinking.

Hell, maybe if you DON'T have a franchise QB you need a DK Metcalf on your offense so you can just throw him the ball covered or not and hope he can make plays while you're rebuilding.

If we do trade him? I think that'll gut fans. We've been waiting on a receiver like DK our entire franchise history. To trade one when you finally get him would be devastating, even more than letting Bobby go IMO.

Frozenropers1

Reaction score
An interesting maneuver would be to see what teams that are asking for DK, would give for Lockett. Hate to lose him, but no reason to be paying two WRs that much. If we could re-sign DK, swap Lockett out for some solid picks (His numbers represent a #1b WR) we still may be able to blow this draft out of the water and keep DK. if we could get a late first or early 2nd round pick plus a middle round pick would be nice.

Throwdown

Reaction score
An interesting maneuver would be to see what teams that are asking for DK, would give for Lockett. Hate to lose him, but no reason to be paying two WRs that much. If we could re-sign DK, swap Lockett out for some solid picks (His numbers represent a #1b WR) we still may be able to blow this draft out of the water and keep DK. if we could get a late first or early 2nd round pick plus a middle round pick would be nice.
The cap hit from giving Tyler up this season is harsh. Next season? Maybe. But if Lock shows to be competent (not a star, relax) having Tyler with DK and Fant isn’t exactly a bad thing to have in any situation when you’re looking at probably having starter the next two seasons (or beyond) on a rookie deal.

Latest posts