Discussion: Fixed NFL, possibly in favor of the Hawks?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
The NFL being an entertainment corporation is enough to make a sensible person wonder if every single decision is made with fairness of competition in mind. When answering the question, an absolute "no way" is just as silly as an absolute "of course it is." Personally, I could see it either way, but have evidence for neither. I'll keep watching and hope for the best.

As for the integrity of the game and money-making, I don't know. The integrity of MLB is near an all-time low (maybe second lowest, after the Black Sox scandal) but plenty of teams are raking it in and plenty of players are signing contracts worth dozens, or hundreds of millions of dollars. So, I don't see the direct correlation between profits and integrity in pro sports, but I don't have all the numbers either.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3viyaid0 said:
If the NFL was fixed Tim Tebow would have led the Broncos to a Super Bowl victory.
He got way closer than seems possible, come to think of it.

OrFan

Reaction score
BlueThunder":19fllc3e said:
dopeboy206":19fllc3e said:
This is a stupid thread

It's not that stupid. I've suspected for years that the NFL, while not technically "fixed", has been "coerced" to give a push one way or the other. The NFL is a money-grubbing CORPORATION, and has investors to please, and money rules everything. After Superbowl XL, it just seemed so obvious that I thought they were on the verge of heading more the way of the WWE, seeing as how successful that corporation is (and how stupid people don't care). The Steelers, having probably at LEAST 10 times more fans worldwide, would convert to many millions of dollars more in Steelers NFL swag with them winning than us. I think it was so blatant in that game that they decided to reel it in some so they didn't completely lose credibility, because I haven't seen much since, though some teams would argue that point. There have been books written on this subject as well as writers with no vested interest in the Seahawks suggesting this after that travesty of a game. Then you have the NBA, where superstars don't have to adhere to the same supposedly stringent rules as every other player. Michael Jordon was allowed to travel freely, taking 5 steps to a dunk that would have been called traveling on most everybody else. Plus, at least one NBA ref admitted to swaying his officiating in certain games because he was betting on the side. So it's not unprecedented. I'm still waiting for the first deathbed confession from a dying NFL ref to confirm my suspicions.

I agree 100 percent with your take on this. People will believe what they want, one way or the other though. For so long people believed that boxing was legit, I mean they would get into serious fights about it. In the end it has been proven to be fixed since it's beginning. "Helping " things to go one way vs. the other is not out of the question given the astronomical amounts of money involved. I too am waiting for the ref who comes clean late in life.

In the meantime I just watch and enjoy it. It is not as serious to me as it once was. It is after all just entertainment, not real life.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Life is fixed.
We all die.
What's the point?

Might as well enjoy watching Seahawks football.

(Instead of wasting the few remaining seconds of our precious lifetimes, encouraging conspiracy theory nihilist idiot trolls like this guy...)

Before we all die, of course.

Bazinga.
:141847_bnono:

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3bo2q4ss said:
The NFL being an entertainment corporation is enough to make a sensible person wonder if every single decision is made with fairness of competition in mind. When answering the question, an absolute "no way" is just as silly as an absolute "of course it is." Personally, I could see it either way, but have evidence for neither. I'll keep watching and hope for the best.

As for the integrity of the game and money-making, I don't know. The integrity of MLB is near an all-time low (maybe second lowest, after the Black Sox scandal) but plenty of teams are raking it in and plenty of players are signing contracts worth dozens, or hundreds of millions of dollars. So, I don't see the direct correlation between profits and integrity in pro sports, but I don't have all the numbers either.

Actually the integrity of the MLB was at its lowest in the 80s through the 90s when people were cheating the most. The league finally started cleaning up due to all the pressure which has lowered ratings and led to discussions about the scandals. They continue to clean up despite the cost as integrity is required long term. To me the MLB has a much higher integrity now than 10 years ago. Doesn't mean I think it is a clean sport but at least now they are busting superstars.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Part of home field advantage is getting homer calls.
No referee wants to piss off 70,000 people in his close vicinity all night long. I guarantee it!

Teams playing on the road have to play much better than the home teams to get W's.
It just happens that way in football.