Discussion: Fixed NFL, possibly in favor of the Hawks?

fsmassey

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Waiting for Sunday to get there, been pondering some thoughts about last season, and the NFL in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... joMk9f8BtE

Is a good way to culminate all of the fishy things about big games over the years, and the factual evidence behind a fixed NFL. Also other video's in that series for more info and evidence. Regardless, I hardly need to remind the members on this board about the Steelers and Seahawks superbowl for further examples.

If parts of the NFL are fixed, do you see calls going in favor of the Hawks this season, or even this decade? Russell Wilson is beginning to command a huge market force, appearing more and more in ads every week. He's Christian, he's an underdog, he wins, he's got a blonde foxy wife, and he's charismatic. He's basically the X factor for a marketable sports figure.

For those who don't have the underlying reasoning; basically, the NFL is legally classified as an entertainment corporation, not a sports corporation, separating themselves from any legal repercussion of manipulating or officiating their games in a certain way. They have a history of implementing questionable referee's and officiating in big games where one team's market and ratings are much more valuable than others.

With the growing market and fanbase following the Seahawks, it'd make logical and financial sense to start treating them like a cash cow franchise.

Cartire

Reaction score
Get that crap out of here.

REQUEST TO SHACK!! I suddenly feel that discussion he wanted coming on...... :rocket:

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has made himself one of the most marketable faces in the NFL. That is an absolutely true fact. I see the kid everywhere. I see the Seahawks EVERYWHERE. They are some of the top selling jerseys, and are some of the most beloved (or reviled, if you're Skip Bayless, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or a Green Bay/San Fran/Wash DC fan) faces in the game currently.

Do I think the calls will go our way as a result? Who knows? Perhaps they will. As much as we hate being on the losing side of controversial calls, it does make sense from a business standpoint to cater to the team which makes the most money, so long as the calls aren't so bad that people stop watching, stop drinking beer, stop buying jerseys, etc.

So... I guess you could say the answer is a definite maybe.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":vbquo7my said:
fsmassey":vbquo7my said:
JSeahawks":vbquo7my said:

If you didn't want to discuss anything, couldn't you have just not posted?

So you only what people that agree with your theory to post in here...?

:les:

... what I wanted was discussion, not a blatant, one word answer from our moderator as my first reply. I want to know why he answered no.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":27a4ft5j said:
I think you are attributing the regular bad, game-shifting calls the refs make to conspiracy when really, most refs are idiots and bad at their jobs and really, it's just incompetence that causes these issues.

Actually, I'm talking about Super Bowls here.

Rocket

Reaction score
EVERY sport with referees and/or judges seems to make no sense at times.
That's cuz the refs and judges are human, and we screw up often.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
Cartire":3vjydm4x said:

REQUEST TO SHACK!! I suddenly feel that discussion he wanted coming on...... :rocket:

I must be on the wrong frequency for hawk fans today. I'm not smack talking anyone nor do I desire smack talk, I'm just thinking aloud to a fellow fan base and wanting to hear second opinions. Why the hell are posts like these in here

12thMan1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1x59s8xr said:
fsmassey":1x59s8xr said:
JSeahawks":1x59s8xr said:

I think he was looking for an actual discussion and/or debate rather than a one worded answer.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fsmassey":3clhtnlp said:
FlyingGreg":3clhtnlp said:
fsmassey":3clhtnlp said:

... what I wanted was discussion, not a blatant, one word answer from our moderator as my first reply. I want to know why he answered no.

Because the NFL is not fixed. If you even thought there was a slight chance that it was, why in the world would you bother watching?

Cartire

Reaction score
fsmassey":3nl1j34h said:
Cartire":3nl1j34h said:

I must be on the wrong frequency for hawk fans today. I'm not smack talking anyone nor do I desire smack talk, I'm just thinking aloud to a fellow fan base and wanting to hear second opinions. Why the hell are posts like these in here

Your talking conspiracy theory. It makes fan bases look week. Thats what your doing.

This needs to be shacked at least so we can tell rival fans that it was all just a drunken misunderstanding.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think you are using the word EVIDENCE incorrectly. EVIDENCE usually is based in facts and proves things. Conspiracy theories are not considered evidence

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
Because the NFL is not fixed. If you even thought there was a slight chance that it was, why in the world would you bother watching?

...For entertainment, like the rest of the world? To be connected with a community, society? To watch athletes on display? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the sport, I'm questioning the legitimacy of the corporation.

You're going to have to provide me with reasoning as to how you see the NFL couldn't be fixed, because I just don't see it.
EVERY sport has a history of rigging. Especially one's with gambling. The NFL basically has the largest entertainment brand in America, followed by legal freedom to do as they please. I mean, any way I seem to cut it in my mind results in the NFL tinkering in its games. This is about money, this isn't about the integrity of a sport. That should be obvious with every single action the NFL and Roger Goodell takes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1a91zkpn said:
So you only want people that agree with your theory to post in here...? :les:
You should start a conspiracy theory along those lines.

Good teams and players do tend to get favorable officiating, but that should hardly be surprising if you are familiar with the concept of self-fulfilling prophecies and confirmation bias.

The negative reaction towards this thread is because you are engaging in a speculative exercise founded on the Existential fallacy. You cannot study a possible conspiracy from the starting point that it is a conspiracy and then start looking for evidence to support that assumption. The evidence should lead you to the conspiracy, not the other way around.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
JSeahawks":20bw3nnc said:

Why do you watch movies? The endings are fixed.

Just because something is fixed doesn't mean it is not entertaining. You still want to see how it turns out.