Discussion: Fixed NFL, possibly in favor of the Hawks?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
There is NO way the NFL can be fixed. Sure a ref can make a bad call, but more times than not a game DOES NOT come down to a single call.
There's too many factors involved for the league to have some sort of devious plan in mind and to be able to pull it off successfully.

mikeak

Reaction score
fsmassey":1tegm7lk said:
Because the NFL is not fixed. If you even thought there was a slight chance that it was, why in the world would you bother watching?

...For entertainment, like the rest of the world? To be connected with a community, society? To watch athletes on display? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the sport, I'm questioning the legitimacy of the corporation.

You're going to have to provide me with reasoning as to how you see the NFL couldn't be fixed, because I just don't see it.
EVERY sport has a history of rigging. Especially one's with gambling. The NFL basically has the largest entertainment brand in America, followed by legal freedom to do as they please. I mean, any way I seem to cut it in my mind results in the NFL tinkering in its games. This is about money, this isn't about the integrity of a sport. That should be obvious with every single action the NFL and Roger Goodell does.

Of course there could be fixed games in the NFL. Of course there has been incidents of fixing sports. I ask you what LEAGUE systematically did this as A LEAGUE. This is what you are claiming. You aren't saying one team threw a game or two, the refs was betting on the side. You are saying that the league as a whole are fixing the outcome of the whole league and games as they choose. That is not something that you have past history in other leagues to refer back to......

The integrity of the sport is directly tied to the money the league makes

Cartire

Reaction score
mikeak":3skzikft said:
fsmassey":3skzikft said:
Because the NFL is not fixed. If you even thought there was a slight chance that it was, why in the world would you bother watching?

...For entertainment, like the rest of the world? To be connected with a community, society? To watch athletes on display? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the sport, I'm questioning the legitimacy of the corporation.

You're going to have to provide me with reasoning as to how you see the NFL couldn't be fixed, because I just don't see it.
EVERY sport has a history of rigging. Especially one's with gambling. The NFL basically has the largest entertainment brand in America, followed by legal freedom to do as they please. I mean, any way I seem to cut it in my mind results in the NFL tinkering in its games. This is about money, this isn't about the integrity of a sport. That should be obvious with every single action the NFL and Roger Goodell does.

Of course there could be fixed games in the NFL. Of course there has been incidents of fixing sports. I ask you what LEAGUE systematically did this as A LEAGUE. This is what you are claiming. You aren't saying one team threw a game or two, the refs was betting on the side. You are saying that the league as a whole are fixing the outcome of the whole league and games as they choose. That is not something that you have past history in other leagues to refer back to......

Not to mention, the act of having the whole league fixed would take a ton of people to pull off. Impossible that something like that wouldnt leak out with the amount of people that would have to be involved.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
You seriously watched this and thought "WOw maybe...i should post it to evoke a discussion!"????

wowwwwwwwww

I hope you're a teenager. No offense meant if you aren't. I guess.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
mikeak":2qzov1lt said:
I think you are using the word EVIDENCE incorrectly. EVIDENCE usually is based in facts and proves things. Conspiracy theories are not considered evidence

Oh, thats what evidence means.
I should've expected this from the internet, even if it is hawks.net

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
Hawknballs":31vfgg6y said:
You seriously watched this and thought "WOw maybe...i should post it to evoke a discussion!"????

wowwwwwwwww

No, I seriously watched this and said "This is a lazy way to get a general idea out without myself having to do any explaining."
The video itself, yeah, its overdramatic and cheesy. But it has facts and I'm trusting the .Net poster to filter out all the bullshit and focus on facts.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
fsmassey":3o2ekere said:
Hawknballs":3o2ekere said:

wowwwwwwwww

No, I seriously watched this and said "This is a lazy way to get a general idea out without myself having to do any explaining."
The video itself, yeah, its overdramatic and cheesy. But it has facts and I'm trusting the .Net poster to filter out all the bullshit and focus on facts.

well for starters did you notice they try to claim the patriots secondary is "elite" and basically say that they usually shut everyone down? I mean there's clue one that it's uninformed garbage.

It wounds like a huge tear cascade from a broncos fan trying to justify why they lost.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score

No, its not. It's tied to the number of uninformed assholes they have sitting on the couch, watching the game and making them rich. Do you think Roger Goodell gives a &$)/ the way the players tackle or dive into each other? He cares about how many lawsuits leech from his profits. Please, I beg you, find me a rational example and not just a ridiculous statement like this.

Not to mention, the act of having the whole league fixed would take a ton of people to pull off. Impossible that something like that wouldnt leak out with the amount of people that would have to be involved.

No, it wouldn't it'd take a very small amount of people with a lot of money in their pocket. Not to mention I'm repeating myself when I'm saying that I'm not talking about the undercard games on Sunday morning. I'm talking about Super Bowls, ratings in the millions, profits in the hundred-billions. Once again, I'm talking Super Bowl, Prime time games here. I'm surprised I have to explain myself this much.

Don't put any more words in my mouth, please. Thank you.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
Hawknballs":22bw4sni said:
fsmassey":22bw4sni said:
Hawknballs":22bw4sni said:

wowwwwwwwww

well for starters did you notice they try to claim the patriots secondary is "elite" and basically say that they usually shut everyone down? I mean there's clue one that it's uninformed garbage.

It wounds like a huge tear cascade from a broncos fan trying to justify why they lost.

We could nitpick at that video all day. I've already stated that I'm trusting the .Net poster to sift through bullshit and look at facts. I'm more interested in nit picking at what little intelligence there's left in your head.

Cartire

Reaction score
fsmassey":1n0fv85p said:
Hawknballs":1n0fv85p said:

wowwwwwwwww

Thus why this covno needs to be shacked. So we can tell you what we really think about the facts... :beating:

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
Cartire":2fubhoyf said:
fsmassey":2fubhoyf said:
Hawknballs":2fubhoyf said:

wowwwwwwwww

Thus why this covno needs to be shacked. So we can tell you what we really think about the facts... :beating:

Except that he just gave me his opinion about an opinion. This is getting redundant.

Cartire

Reaction score
fsmassey":12bs7a8p said:
Don't put any more words in my mouth, please. Thank you.

hmmm, I dont think you know what this means.....

No one has put any words in your mouth. Everyone has been saying you are wrong, and this idea is stupid, and you should feel bad.....

Cartire

Reaction score
DAMNIT. I saw the move and thought it was shacked. Welp, I guess this thread will get buried soon enough.

OP
OP
fsmassey

fsmassey

Reaction score
AgentDib":66hcfkpi said:
FlyingGreg":66hcfkpi said:
So you only want people that agree with your theory to post in here...? :les:
You should start a conspiracy theory along those lines.

Good teams and players do tend to get favorable officiating, but that should hardly be surprising if you are familiar with the concept of self-fulfilling prophecies and confirmation bias.

The negative reaction towards this thread is because you are engaging in a speculative exercise founded on the Existential fallacy. You cannot study a possible conspiracy from the starting point that it is a conspiracy and then start looking for evidence to support that assumption. The evidence should lead you to the conspiracy, not the other way around.

Sorry to have missed this amongst the trash.

Yeah, this is kind of a hard idea to pitch to people if they've never taken a moment to think about the possibility of it themselves. I tried to stage the question in a way that briefly suggests people look into themselves, and then come and discuss it. I've failed, and I'm quite embarrassed to be the poster of this thread.

Cartire

Reaction score
fsmassey":ci9xshbu said:
AgentDib":ci9xshbu said:
FlyingGreg":ci9xshbu said:
So you only want people that agree with your theory to post in here...? :les:
You should start a conspiracy theory along those lines.

Good teams and players do tend to get favorable officiating, but that should hardly be surprising if you are familiar with the concept of self-fulfilling prophecies and confirmation bias.

The negative reaction towards this thread is because you are engaging in a speculative exercise founded on the Existential fallacy. You cannot study a possible conspiracy from the starting point that it is a conspiracy and then start looking for evidence to support that assumption. The evidence should lead you to the conspiracy, not the other way around.

Sorry to have missed this amongst the trash.

Yeah, this is kind of a hard idea to pitch to people if they've never taken a moment to think about the possibility of it themselves. I tried to stage the question in a way that briefly suggests people look into themselves, and then come and discuss it. I've failed, and I'm quite embarrassed to be the poster of this thread.

You can come up with any idea in the world you want. Any what if. What if cows can actually speak and are extremely intelligent, but are actually that lazy and just dont care? Once you start a 'what if' thread for the means of discussion, you invite yourself to be ridiculed for said idea.

mikeak

Reaction score
fsmassey":2x8c640y said:
I've failed, and I'm quite embarrassed to be the poster of this thread.

I guess I need to apologize. We do have an agreement after all.........

BlueThunder

Reaction score
dopeboy206":xpkrti57 said:
This is a stupid thread

It's not that stupid. I've suspected for years that the NFL, while not technically "fixed", has been "coerced" to give a push one way or the other. The NFL is a money-grubbing CORPORATION, and has investors to please, and money rules everything. After Superbowl XL, it just seemed so obvious that I thought they were on the verge of heading more the way of the WWE, seeing as how successful that corporation is (and how stupid people don't care). The Steelers, having probably at LEAST 10 times more fans worldwide, would convert to many millions of dollars more in Steelers NFL swag with them winning than us. I think it was so blatant in that game that they decided to reel it in some so they didn't completely lose credibility, because I haven't seen much since, though some teams would argue that point. There have been books written on this subject as well as writers with no vested interest in the Seahawks suggesting this after that travesty of a game. Then you have the NBA, where superstars don't have to adhere to the same supposedly stringent rules as every other player. Michael Jordon was allowed to travel freely, taking 5 steps to a dunk that would have been called traveling on most everybody else. Plus, at least one NBA ref admitted to swaying his officiating in certain games because he was betting on the side. So it's not unprecedented. I'm still waiting for the first deathbed confession from a dying NFL ref to confirm my suspicions.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
If the NFL was fixed Tim Tebow would have led the Broncos to a Super Bowl victory.